IslamiCity.org Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Culture & Community > Groups : Women (Sisters)
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Slavery in Islam  What is Islam What is Islam  Donate Donate
  FAQ FAQ  Quran Search Quran Search  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Slavery in Islam

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Groupie
Groupie
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amna_ali Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Slavery in Islam
    Posted: 20 April 2005 at 9:50am

Bismillah irahman irahim

Asslam-u-alaikum,

I am confused about the concept of slaves in Islam. What about women slaves and their status? Islam believes in justice and all men are equal before Almighty Allah. Then Why is it so that they were taken as property and the master could use them as he wished? Whats the meaning of "what your right hand possess?"

Inshallah someone will clarify me regarding this issue.

ZamanH View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ZamanH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 April 2005 at 10:51am

Walai-kum As Salaam,

Please visit http://www.islamonline.net/fatwa/english/FatwaDisplay.asp?hF atwaID=54710

Thank you,

Zaman.

An enemy of an enemy is a fickle friend.
There will be more women in hell than men.
..for persecution is worse than the slaughter of the enemy..(Quran 2:191)
Heaven lies under mother's feet
blond View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blond Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 April 2005 at 11:07am

Originally posted by amna_ali amna_ali wrote:

Whats the meaning of "what your right hand possess?"

The term "right hand" is a colloquialism. It is like the
Blacks in America saying "That's bad!", but it actually means that something is very good. The Arabic word for hand is "yed" and the word for right is alyamin.

The statements in the Quran do not use either word in the statements "the right hand possess." The actual word used in Sahih, which means "the correct one".

amna_ali View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amna_ali Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 April 2005 at 11:55am

Asslamualaikum,

Thanks a lot. I am very much clear about my confusion Jazak Allah.

As far as the term "right hand" is concerned in this regard the following statement is very comprehensive.

"Slave women or milk al-yameen are referred to in the Qur'an as �Those whom your right hand possess� or �ma malakat aymanukum�; they are those taken as captives during conquests and subsequently became slaves, or those who were descendants of slaves."  http://www.islamonline.net/fatwa/english/FatwaDisplay.asp?hF atwaID=54710

Maa salam

kim! View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kim! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 April 2005 at 5:06pm

Why not ask the Saudi families about their Filippino slaves? Lot of unhappy stories there. How do the Saudis justify their behaviour?

http://www.findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m1282/is_3_55/ai_9 7347246

http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/f-news/1377735/posts

(Please note: I sent this link because of the story, not because of the letters underneath it. THe letters tend to demonstrate scary and towering ignorance, and I just wanted you to know I don't support them)

Kim...

Edited by kim!
amna_ali View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amna_ali Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 April 2005 at 11:58am

These stories are horrifying. How can a muslim justify himself in doing so?

When we look about 1500 years back we see inequality and injustice. What was the status of slaves? They were no more than commodity. What has changed in these years. Todays man claims to be highly civilised but what these Saudis are doing who are living at such a Holy place? They are not following Islamic path. The question is how to stop such inhumane treatment?

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic