IslamiCity.org Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > General Discussion
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Muslim Communities in the USA?  What is Islam What is Islam  Donate Donate
  FAQ FAQ  Quran Search Quran Search  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Muslim Communities in the USA?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lapinkgurl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Muslim Communities in the USA?
    Posted: 05 August 2006 at 11:05am

Asalaam Alyakum to All,

Can anyone help me find a nice rural Muslim community in the USA. Does it exist?

Does anyone live in the Michigan community? If so, could you tell me what it is like?  Or, I would love to hear about your experience in other communities.

I have searched on the net but couldn�t find too much about this. I would welcome any ideas! Thanks so much.

Salam

Patty View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Patty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 August 2006 at 5:46pm

There are many Muslims who live near the Lewiston, Maine area.  All of Maine is rural.  It is a very large state with a total population of approximately 1 million people.  It's very peaceful and open to anyone of any race, culture, religion.  It is also very cold in the winter, but beautiful beyond words.

Patty

I don't know what the future holds....but I know who holds the future.
Whisper View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Male
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Whisper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 August 2006 at 6:34am

You may find this of some comfort about being a Muslim and that too with an American father . . .

Mashallah, It is sad, but true.

When my parents moved us back to the US when I was fifteen, I could speak the language but was shattered by the culture. Leaving Instanbul, a city rich in heritage and tradition was one thing, but getting hit in the face with the reality of what is in the US is another.

Sad thing is, I was born an American by the virtue of my father being  a long term assignment to the embassy, I also am a Turkish citizen by virtue of my mothers being a national and my physical birth there. What a mess!

For years I went along with this American rah rah hoopla culture, trying to fit in. but my little wall came crashing down one day in September when an airplane hit double towers in the City of New York. Seems interesting that several nieghbors of mine whom I do not even know called the authorities on my husband and myself, even though at the time we were rather inactive Muslims. Seems they had "security concerns" because of my son in the navy, and that my mother was a turk, and I held dual citizenship. How sad. I spent 3 weeks being visited daily by the local police and even spent a night in an overnight "interview room" being questioned why my father, an american Air Force Major associated with the US Embassy in Turkey and later other countries, would have converted to Islam..Well, I told the gent he needed to ask my father that for himself, but he would need to make a long distance call to Jannah..They finally left us alone after 6 weeks of harrassment. But they still stop by. I am a registered nurse and even had the state board of nursing on my back! So we are in the process of relocating to Mexico. WE will be safer there!

Ops. does that sound like the "America" you claim to know? My lineage on my fathers side traces back to Palmyra NY and to just after the Mayflower, do I deserve this treatment? Those innocents in Lebanon, Israel and Palestine have no choice, they are being obliterated, And for what? Nationalism!

Think about it, we need to become a world community and throw away boundaries! We need to stop the leader dogs of the countries from trying to fight over each other's trees.

Put away the mantle of nationalism, see the humans outside your space, and welcome to the family of man.

Cassandra View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cassandra Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 August 2006 at 8:55am

Whisper: I think they call this plagiarism!  With respect, would you please idenity who it is you are quoting and limit your choice of colours used.  You make many good points, but often it is very difficult to know which is you, and which is the subject of your response. Just to make life a little easier and clearer for all of us.

Thanks, Cassandra

Israfil View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Israfil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 August 2006 at 7:51pm
Whisper in addition to what Sister Cassandra is saying can you please not generalize American country? Well asking this is asking the lion to not eat so let me retract that. I just want to point out that every country has its ugliness and beauty we must limit ourselves to focusing on one aspect no matter what our experiences are.
Whisper View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Male
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Whisper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 August 2006 at 5:59am

Whisper in addition to what Sister Cassandra is saying can you please not generalize American country?

Sorry, I forgot to add - THIS POST IS FROM Maryah.

Kindly ask America NOT to give the rest of the world the RIGHT to generalise or in whatever way we feel about your country.

TODAY, the whole world considers each American as an accomplice of the US brutality.

It's NOT my fault.

herjihad View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote herjihad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 August 2006 at 6:15am

Originally posted by Israfil Israfil wrote:

Whisper in addition to what Sister Cassandra is saying can you please not generalize American country? Well asking this is asking the lion to not eat so let me retract that. I just want to point out that every country has its ugliness and beauty we must limit ourselves to focusing on one aspect no matter what our experiences are.

Bismillah,

When I was a little girl I learned at school that America was the bestest country in the whole wide world.  And that Israel went and cleaned up the dirty bedoins swampland with some nice trees and because they made it so nice the bedoins wanted the land that used to be all desert to be theirs now.

Aren't YOU ashamed, Brother Israfil, of America's aggression and violent behavior throughout the world, including here at home?  Besides our bombing of Lebanon and Phalasteen, we are responsible for supporting terrorists against governments in South America since the 50s.  Iraq and Saudi wouldn't have kept their power if America hadn't propped them up years ago!

At home people should check into the Supreme Court's rulings on Eminent Domain.  Did you know that the cities can now take our homes and property just because they want to for any projecct that they deem more important than our homes or businesses?

And even besides the Patriot Act, Homeland Insecurity spies on anyone they feel like tapping our phones, opening our mail, putting us in jail with no charges for a year or more.

The America of my childhood was a dream that was never realized.  We could have become something great.  Now, we are a bully who doesn't even care that we are bleeding with contusions and broken parts. 

The Muslim Ummah should be like one body, caring for itself always.  Let's not be like a superpower and forget ourselves.  We need to care for each other in realistic, hands-on ways that make a difference in our lives.

Sister Lapingurl, I think Brother Sasha is trying to say you should live in another country if you are able.  Did you see my answer to you in your other post?  Blacksburg, Virginia.

Salaamu Alaykum

Al-Hamdulillah (From a Married Muslimah) La Howla Wa La Quwata Illa BiLLah - There is no Effort or Power except with Allah's Will.
mariyah View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mariyah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 August 2006 at 10:06am

Asalaamu alaikum:

Brother whispers quote above is mine, and he has my full permission to copy and paste it wherever he desires. Shukran jaziilan brother, for supporting those in a painful situation.

maryah

"Every good deed is charity whether you come to your brother's assistance or just greet him with a smile.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
  Share Topic