IslamiCity.org Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Religion - Islam > Quran & Sunnah
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Principles of interpretation  What is Islam What is Islam  Donate Donate
  FAQ FAQ  Quran Search Quran Search  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Principles of interpretation

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote B.H. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Principles of interpretation
    Posted: 29 July 2006 at 7:42am

Sorry to be a bother, but can anyone provide me with links concerning principles governing interpreting the Koran.

Also, it says somewhere in the Quran to praise or sing praise to Allah.  Are we just to sing only or can we praise him with instruments of music also?

fatima View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fatima Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 July 2006 at 8:35am

Bismillah irrahman irrahim

Assalamu alaikum

Originally posted by B.H. B.H. wrote:

Sorry to be a bother, but can anyone provide me with links concerning principles governing interpreting the Koran.

No brother its our pleasure and alhamdulillah a blessing from Allah to be able to help out whenevever we can.

Now i am going to copy from Ibn Kathir what he wrote as sources for interpretation. "If someone asks about the best methods of tafsir, we reply that the best method is to explain the Quran with the Quran itself. What is mentioned in general terms in one place in the Quran, is usually explained in another place. When one does not find this easily, he should look to the sunnah because its purpose is to explain the Quran and elaborate upon its meanings. If one can not find the tafsir in Quran and sunnah, he should refer to the statements of the companions, who were most knowledgeable of tafsir, for they witnessed the situations and incidents that we did not witness. They also had the deepest comprehension, the most correct knowledge, and the most righteous works."

Now my shaykh gave us this lecture on 'regulations for tafsir of Quran'.

1. Lugha- one who is writing tafsir should have strong familiarity with arabic language and dialect.
  2. Fiqh- islamic laws
  3. Aqeedah- faith
  4. assulul fiqh- essential regulations of fiqh
  5. asbabun nuzul- reason behind revelation
  6. admal tanaqadh- never make confliction between two ayaahs.
  7. ilmul hadith- knowledge of sayyings of Prophet Muhammad (saw)
  8. knowledge of sayings of scholars among companions of Prophet (saw) and later generations.

Also, it says somewhere in the Quran to praise or sing praise to Allah.  Are we just to sing only or can we praise him with instruments of music also?

Well there are many methods taken by different people, some use the particular given words to praise Allah swt like constantly pronounce subhanAllah or Alhamdulillah and be concious of what you saying and what you mean. This is called dhikr or remembering. Singing is also allowed with a good tone and tune in voice as Prophet Muhammad (saw) loved to hear recitation of Quran done in good voice and manner. You can also use own words and phrases to sing His praises with or without instruments. Majority of scholars say that wind instruments are not allowed so as long as its not a wind instrument, its ok inshaAllah.

wassalam

Say: (O Muhammad) If you love Allah, then follow me, Allah will love you and forgive you your faults, and Allah is Forgiving, MercifuL
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic