IslamiCity.org Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Religion - Islam > Interfaith Dialogue
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - a few questions  What is Islam What is Islam  Donate Donate
  FAQ FAQ  Quran Search Quran Search  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

a few questions

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jusaskin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: a few questions
    Posted: 28 July 2006 at 5:49pm

I am a Christian with a "Noble Quran" from Riyadh, Saudi Arabia, and I'd like to know what Muslims on this forum think of the book. The complete title is "Interpretation of the Meanings of The Noble Quran in English Language", by Dr. Muhammad Muhsin Khan and Dr. Muhammad Taqi-ud-Din Al-Halali. It seems a bit distracting with the interpretations constantly present, but I suppose that is the whole idea ... to interpret.

Since I am aware of the warnings about translating Arabic into other languages, I would like to get some comments about the accuracy of this translation.

joe
BMZ View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BMZ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 July 2006 at 8:38pm

The particularv translation that you have referred to is based upon the first English translation of Qur'aan in India by Maulana Muhammad Ali. Shakir and many others have followed his translation to come up with theirs.

The commentary is the translators' explanation and notes. It may differ in the choice of words but the main message of God remains unchanged.

jusaskin View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jusaskin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 July 2006 at 9:49pm

bmzsp,

Thank you for the reply! How would you rate the translation, disregarding the commentary ..... excellent, good, fair, poor? What would be your recommendation for the best English translation?

joe
ALEH View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ALEH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 July 2006 at 4:12am

Personal I like the King Fahds printing press translation by Yusuf Ali it is very good.

Judgement day is born in each moment, a moment to see if we need Education, Counseling or Consultation to meet our challenges with grace and dignity for all. (My favorite surah is 99, 1-8)
BMZ View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BMZ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 July 2006 at 8:12am

jusaskin,

I agree with ALEH.

Another good translation in English has been done by Mohamamd Asad (Lepold Weiss) himself formerly a Jew.

BMZ

amah View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Female
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 July 2006 at 1:11pm
Originally posted by jusaskin jusaskin wrote:

I am a Christian with a "Noble Quran" from Riyadh, Saudi Arabia, and I'd like to know what Muslims on this forum think of the book. The complete title is "Interpretation of the Meanings of The Noble Quran in English Language", by Dr. Muhammad Muhsin Khan and Dr. Muhammad Taqi-ud-Din Al-Halali. It seems a bit distracting with the interpretations constantly present, but I suppose that is the whole idea ... to interpret.

Since I am aware of the warnings about translating Arabic into other languages, I would like to get some comments about the accuracy of this translation.

Greetings!
Comprehensive in my opinion....I personally like it.
Peace.

Edited by amah
Allah is Sufficient as a Walee (Protector) and Allah is Sufficient as a Naseer (Helper).
(Surah An-Nisa, Chapter #4, Verse #45)
jusaskin View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jusaskin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 July 2006 at 2:14pm

Thanks to all who replied ... I will try to find the Ali version.

I thought I read, or heard from someone, that the Quran is organized from the largest to the shortest chapter .... and it does seem to be that way. Has a chronological order ever been compiled?

Also, is there some way that a portion of the Quran can be read/copied during a post reply?

joe
ALEH View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ALEH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 July 2006 at 12:38pm

http://www.answering-christianity.com/quran_search.htm

This Noble Quran search engine is great, you can access Yusuf Ali translation with it as well as other translations.

Simply copy and paste the Surah, Ayat, Verses you want to talk about be sure to include the Ayat, Verse numbers and Translation ie Yusuf Ali etc.

There is a search engine for Hadeath but I only found one so far that has limited verses in it.

If someone knows of a search engine for Hadeath that is extensive please let me know I have some passages I want to find again that I found while searching the Hadeaths section at Saint Mary's University in Haliafax, Nova Scotia, Canada

Judgement day is born in each moment, a moment to see if we need Education, Counseling or Consultation to meet our challenges with grace and dignity for all. (My favorite surah is 99, 1-8)
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic