IslamiCity.org Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Politics > World Politics
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - I am seeking knowledge  What is Islam What is Islam  Donate Donate
  FAQ FAQ  Quran Search Quran Search  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

I am seeking knowledge

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 8>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
AlexZello View Drop Down
Starter
Starter

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AlexZello Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: I am seeking knowledge
    Posted: 07 February 2008 at 7:42pm
What do you think of Obadiah Shoher's views on the Middle East conflict? One can argue, of course, that Shoher is ultra-right, but his followers are far from being a marginal group. Also, he rejects Jewish moralistic reasoning - that's alone is highly unusual for the Israeli right. And he is very influential here in Israel. So what do you think? uh, here's the site in question: Middle East conflict

Edited by AlexZello
runner View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote runner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 August 2006 at 5:42am
Thank you amal, for the informative links.  It appears that there was a tolerant time during the Islamic period of Iberian history, and an intolerant time too, as interpretation of Islam was narrowed.

And this reinforces what I have said.  Absent the willingness to peacefully coexist (by either party) it simply cannot happen.  It cannot be imposed by outside parties (including the US or the UN--though it can certainly be encouraged).

I think it is certainly possible, even likely provided the religious authorities are willing to admit a more tolerant interpretation of their scriptures; and I am convinced that doing so would be advantagous for all parties, excepting those that make their 'profits' (either concrete or non-concrete) by creating, stirring up and inflaming hatred and intolerance of one or the other.

That is why I have a pessimistic outlook with respect to peace prospects in the middle east; too many parties make their 'profits' from war and bloodshed and too few see the benefits of trying to form meaningful lives outside of it.
lovetabuleh View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lovetabuleh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 August 2006 at 9:22am
Originally posted by Ginghis Ginghis wrote:

A few questions.

If Moslems had the ability to make the ME look just the way they wanted (geographically), how would it look? Is there a map anywhere that depicts this?

Do the Jews have any claim to any land in the Middle East as far as Moslems are concerned?

Could Christian and Jewish religious centers be left intact and honored in a completely Moslem ME?

good qestion!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/religion/religions/islam/history/spain/

In the history of Islam (the pure, 'unpolluted' islam ie: less radicals and faceists), Jews and Chritians have lived in harmony with each other.  the 700+ years of Muslim Spain was termed the 'Golden Age' in history books.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Golden_age_of_Jewish_culture_in _Spain

:)

Ginghis View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Male
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ginghis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 August 2006 at 5:54am

A few questions.

If Moslems had the ability to make the ME look just the way they wanted (geographically), how would it look? Is there a map anywhere that depicts this?

Do the Jews have any claim to any land in the Middle East as far as Moslems are concerned?

Could Christian and Jewish religious centers be left intact and honored in a completely Moslem ME?

runner View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote runner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 August 2006 at 4:13am
I have come to the conclusion that in the absence of a willingness to forgive wrongs of the past and proceed amicably into the future, all efforts to end the bloodshed and innocent death and suffering will fail.

As you can see, unraveling history to correct the 'root cause' is a fools errand.  Wherever you encounter an injustice and propose a corrective for actions of past generations, you will always create another (current time) injustice.  And this injustice will fuel hatred of succeeding generations.  What is wrong here is the use of history and historical events as an excuse to fuel further hatred and to justify further agression.

The trouble for ordinary citizens of each of the involved countries is that some elements in their local power structures (whether the government as in Syria or Israel's case or others, such as Hezbollah) depend upon the conflict (and creation of further injustices) for their own sustinance; in that case fueling hatred and resurrecting injustices long ago as an excuse to murder further registers in their minds as a gain.

Until other ordinary citizens decide that they are tired of suffering and dying in order to further their bosses aims, and starve the bosses of respect and fresh bodies the suffering will go on and on endlessly.
Ginghis View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Male
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ginghis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 August 2006 at 3:38am

Whoa!! It is just so cool when people don't lock-step.

"Who so would be a man would be a non-conformist."

More voices like that would force a fair and just solution.

Here may be a another "root cause". The power to manipulate public opinion and the agendas behind that manipulation.

lovetabuleh View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lovetabuleh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 August 2006 at 11:56am

George Galloway has spoken against the occupation.  incredible interview and fierce replies!

http://www.informationclearinghouse.info/article14391.htm

Ginghis View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Male
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ginghis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 August 2006 at 10:01am

Some practical results of this thread so far.

My wife and one of my daughters, (they have been reading it since we started and we have discussions every evening), have gained a more balanced understanding and speak of solutions in terms that take all humanity in consideration.

I have learned things with no media filter.

We have an election in a few months. I will be voting for my representive to the congress. I will be able to make a more informed decision and hopefully not send an ignorant person on my behalf.

The latest estimates of world population is around 6.5 billion. I know for sure 3 of us want to be fair about this situation...Sigh.....

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 8>
  Share Topic