IslamiCity.org Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Regional > Middle East
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - The Lebanon Crisis  What is Islam What is Islam  Donate Donate
  FAQ FAQ  Quran Search Quran Search  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

The Lebanon Crisis

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Senior  Member

Male
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Servetus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 July 2006 at 2:15pm

Sometimes when I (an American non-Muslim) read him, I think of Shaykh Abdalqadir as-Sufi as, among other things, a sort of Muslim version of Norman Podhoretz, but lacking either the latter�s political influence or his strategic skill.  For instance, in terms of content, when read closely, and when stripped of their tabloid tendencies, I don�t think the Sheikh�s missives are any more or less pointed than this one, from Norman Podhoretz, printed in the influential Commentary Magazine in September, 2004.  Here, as I understand (and it has been awhile since I read it in its entirety), Podhoretz basically acts as panegyrist for what sounds like his anointed �sacred warrior,� George W. Bush, and rallies the (especially) neo-conservative troops for a fight to the finish of World War IV �the war against �militant Islam,� one is to understand- and, in effect, calls for �reformation� within Islam (World War III is understood to be the now concluded �Cold War� between the US and USSR).  I suppose it goes without saying, but I shall say it nevertheless, that it seems the type of reformation Podhoretz would have for Islam is not that one offered by Muhammad ibn Abd al-Wahhab and later taken up by Sayyid Qutb, for example, but is rather of the (forced?) �democratization� and �modernist� variety -the type to which both Christianity and Judaism were made to accede.

At any rate, these are the writings and ravings of politicos, not always known for their war-time pacifism.  That is understood.  As I see it, there is the occasional pearl to be found, but not usually before kicking plenty of swine out of the way in the process. 

Serv

Ref: http://www.commentarymagazine.com/podhoretz.htm

Edited by Servetus
Daniel Dworsky View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Daniel Dworsky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 July 2006 at 12:05pm
As in pearls before swine?

Obfuscation is something we must eschew if we are to be clearly
understood.

What? Snobbery? Arrogance? Elitism?
Servetus View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Male
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Servetus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 July 2006 at 12:23pm

�As in pearls before swine?�

I used the metaphor, but with a modification.  I said, or at least meant to convey, that, in the writings of the war-time politicos such as the two cited above, there are sometimes pearls (of wisdom) to be found, but one often has to kick swine (nonsense) out of the way in the process.

�Obfuscation is something we must eschew if we are to be clearly understood.�

Agreed. 

�What? Snobbery? Arrogance? Elitism?�

I don�t understand the questions, Daniel.  Please repeat them but with some elaboration.

Serv

Senior  Member
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Daniel Dworsky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 July 2006 at 12:36pm
And I guess I didn't understand the statements... Oink?
Senior  Member
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Daniel Dworsky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 July 2006 at 12:38pm
I'm sorry. I'm just not mature enough for this chat. I'm gonna back away
slow,,,
Servetus View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Male
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Servetus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 July 2006 at 12:45pm

It�s ok, mate, it�s my (unintentional) bad for not being in the first place clearer.  And you ain�t no pig.  Far, far from it!

Serv 

Senior  Member
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Daniel Dworsky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 July 2006 at 1:21pm
Thanks. No one is sleeping in this neck of the woods.

Today I managed to book three meetings for the same hour...
Rewire a working 24 channel 8 bus mixer into a non working 24 channel 7
bus mixer...restring half a guitar misplacing three strings. Answer hate mail
as if I were a guest on Jerry Springer...   Considered stress management...
herjihad View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote herjihad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 July 2006 at 8:57pm

Originally posted by Daniel Dworsky Daniel Dworsky wrote:

Thanks. No one is sleeping in this neck of the woods.

Today I managed to book three meetings for the same hour...
Rewire a working 24 channel 8 bus mixer into a non working 24 channel 7
bus mixer...restring half a guitar misplacing three strings. Answer hate mail
as if I were a guest on Jerry Springer...   Considered stress management...

Bismillah,

You're only considering stress management?  Breathe deeply and investigate the stress managment idea today!

Salaamu Alaykum

Al-Hamdulillah (From a Married Muslimah) La Howla Wa La Quwata Illa BiLLah - There is no Effort or Power except with Allah's Will.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic