IslamiCity.org Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > General Discussion
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Africans Receive  Their bibles  What is Islam What is Islam  Donate Donate
  FAQ FAQ  Quran Search Quran Search  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Africans Receive Their bibles

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ak_m_f Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Africans Receive Their bibles
    Posted: 15 July 2006 at 1:08pm
Poverty-Stricken Africans Receive Desperately Needed Bibles.

MARADI, NIGER�More than 60,000 urgently needed Bibles arrived to allay suffering throughout the famine-stricken nation of Niger Friday, in one of the largest humanitarian-relief operations ever attempted by a Christian ministry.

Africans gather in hopes of receiving the Bibles they have hoped for.

"Come rejoice, and feast upon the word of Our Lord, Jesus Christ," said Christina Clarkson, executive director of the Living Light Ministries of Lubbock, TX. "Those who were hungry, hunger no more, for the Word brings life."

An exuberant Clarkson said the Bible drop was the culmination of one of the largest and most aggressive grassroots fundraising drives ever undertaken by the organization, which was able to fund the mission largely through local charitable events, such as bake-offs, barbecues, and pie-eating contests.

"We absolutely would not be here today if it were not for the amazing generosity of the people back home," Clarkson said. "People everywhere opened up their hearts and checkbooks to us and said, 'Dig in.'"

Niger, ranked as the second-poorest nation on Earth, is experiencing its worst famine in more than 20 years, as a brutal drought last year was followed by a plague of crop-destroying locusts. An estimated 3.5 million of Niger's 12 million people are currently at risk of starvation.

"That's why it was so important for this mission to happen right now," said Clarkson. "So many people here are suffering. Disease, starvation, and lack of shelter are day-to-day realities in Niger. But once they hear the Good News of Jesus Christ and accept Him as their Lord and Savior�once they really take Him into their hearts�then they will see what poor comforts are the things of this world."

Due to the tireless efforts of Clarkson and other members of the congregation, the ministry was able to provide the needy with Bibles superior to the ones they use in their own church services.

Moussa Yaouli derives spiritual nourishment from his handcrafted leather Bible.

"Handcrafted, genuine leather�best money can buy," said 61-year-old missionary Don Kostic as he ran his hand along the book's ornately embossed spine. "It's like my wife back home says: Nothing is too good for people who are ready to receive the Living Word of Christ."

Although the fundraising efforts were unprecedented, congregation members said Living Light would never have succeeded had they not obtained the generous support of an array of corporate sponsors, including Applebee's and Church's Fried Chicken.

"We spent so much money just to get here," Kostic continued. "After we had all the Bibles engraved, we still had to charter the plane. When we landed in Niamey, we could barely even afford ground transportation."

Undaunted, the missionaries purchased the best vehicle they could find, which turned out to be a used bread truck. "That old thing!" recalled Kostic, laughing. "We must've scrubbed it down a hundred times. You couldn't get the smell of freshly baked, vitamin-fortified bread out of it if your life depended on it."

Reaction among Niger residents has been mixed.

Moussa Yaouli, a 35-year-old farmer, was particularly interested to learn more about the doctrine of transubstantiation, which Living Light personnel told him involved the eating of wafers. "It is said to be a big wafer. I am sure it will feed many of my children."

Though "spiritually gratified" by their work, many of the missionaries spoke about the difficulties of working in an impoverished country.

"It can be so hard being away from the comfort of our homes and our loving families," Clarkson confided. "I will admit, there have been times when I prayed, 'Lord, just help me get through this mission and get me back to Texas!' But when we rolled into town and people started running after the truck with those big smiles on their faces, I couldn't help but smile back."

Clarkson added: "And when we opened up the back of the truck and they saw that it was full of Bibles... Grown men and women wept in front of their children. That's how moved they were by the Holy Spirit. That's how I know it's all been worth it."

Clarkson said her mission will succeed in bringing the people of Niger "the spiritual sustenance they've been deprived of," despite such obstacles as the nation's 18 percent literacy rate.

"You say you're suffering. I say, let the good Lord do the suffering for you," she said. "You say you're exhibiting the deleterious effects of severe dehydration and chronic malnutrition. And I say that no matter what ails you, the Holy Bible is the best medicine there is."
superme View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote superme Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 July 2006 at 4:31pm

The word "missionary" creates such negative meanings in the western worlds and the muslim worlds yet these missionaries don't make any effort to remedy the situation.

I see from this article as pure insults to those in the dire need. 

Btw Akmf, whenever you copy and paste an article can you please include the link just incase it needs verification.

Edited by superme
Israfil View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Israfil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 July 2006 at 4:48pm
Articles like this make me sick and PO's me because they are taking advantageof the hunger and needs of the people, BTW where are the brothers and sisters in Islam to combat these missionaries?
ak_m_f View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ak_m_f Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 July 2006 at 7:08pm
Ever wonder why "missionaries" always thrive in war, & famine
Patty View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Patty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 July 2006 at 7:20pm

These links are not meant to be sarcastic.

http://www.pamoja-child-trust.org/

And here is another article.  It appears to me that much more than Bibles are being sent to the starving, the poverty-stricken, and the innocent people who are fighting for their very existance. 

Take Action

Recent Developments

One Spirit. One Will. Zero Poverty.

Last Updated: July 3, 2006

The beginning of July marks the one-year anniversary of the Live8 concerts, when millions of people gathered around the world to call on world leaders to take bold action in the fight against global poverty.  Congress is not on track to fulfill the commitments that our country made then.

On June 29, the Senate Appropriations Committee approved its State Department/foreign operations bill. According to Bread for the World's preliminary analysis, the bill includes approximately $11 billion in poverty-focused development assistance, $1 billion more than in 2006. Much of the additional funding is for global health programs. Long-term development assistance and funding for international organizations were reduced from last year's levels. The Millennium Challenge Account (MCA), at $1.9 billion, was cut significantly from the president's request of $3 billion. The Senate funding level is slightly below the House appropriation of $2 billion for the MCA.

On June 9, the House passed its appropriations bill for foreign operations. The House budget of $21.3 billion also includes approximately $11 billion for poverty-focused development assistance. This increase of just under $1 billion is a step in the right direction, but far short of the $5 billion increase needed to keep our country's promises to the developing world.

U.S. assistance for HIV/AIDS, tuberculosis and malaria is included in two appropriations bills � the foreign operations account and the Labor/Health and Human Services (HHS) budget. The House Appropriations Committee passed its Labor/HHS bill on June 13.

According to Bread for the World's analysis, the bill included $312 million in poverty-focused development assistance, allocated to the Centers for Disease Control's global health initiatives. However, the bill did not include any 2007 funding for the Global Fund for AIDS, Tuberculosis and Malaria. In contrast, $99 million was allocated to the Global Fund in 2006.

Last year, President Bush made a commitment to double assistance to developing countries by 2010. These funds are urgently needed by some of the poorest families in the world. Congress should do what is necessary to keep these commitments, beginning with a substantial increase in poverty-focused development assistance in the next fiscal year.

Summary of the Campaign:

One Spirit. One Will. Zero Poverty., our Offering of Letters for 2006, calls on Congress to approve an additional $5 billion in poverty-focused development assistance for fiscal year 2007. This increase is needed to get the United States on track to honor our international commitments: doubling assistance to Africa and the developing world by 2010 and helping to achieve the U.N. Millennium Development Goals (MDGs) by 2015.  Even in a time of fiscal constraint, the United States can always afford to keep its promises to the world's hungry and poor people.

Poverty-focused development assistance includes the Development Assistance and Child Survival accounts, the Millennium Challenge Account, and initiatives to fight HIV/AIDS, tuberculosis and malaria.  According to Bread for the World's analysis, the administration's FY 2007 budget request included an increase of about $2 billion for poverty-focused development assistance.

Public Support for Additional Spending on Global Poverty is Strong and Bipartisan

A recent bipartisan national poll of likely voters by the Alliance to End Hunger showed that 67 percent favor investing an additional  1 percent of the federal budget in effective programs to reduce hunger, poverty and disease in Africa, Asia and Latin America.  See www.alliancetoendhunger.org for the full report.

Find out more:

What is this Offering of Letters about? 

Take Action!!

�2006 Bread for the World � 50 F Street, NW, Suite 500 � Washington, DC 20001 � USA
Tel. 202-639-9400 � 800-82-BREAD � Fax 202-639-9401
Patty

I don't know what the future holds....but I know who holds the future.
Megatron View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Megatron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 July 2006 at 10:25am
Is this article a joke?  It sounds like a prank to me. 
ak_m_f View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ak_m_f Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 July 2006 at 10:38am
Originally posted by Megatron Megatron wrote:

Is this article a joke?� It sounds like a prank to me.�

The first one is sarcasm, you did knew that, rite?

Edited by ak_m_f
mariyah View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mariyah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 July 2006 at 10:48am

Asalaamu alaikum:

The article mentions that one of the greatest issues in the area was STARVATION of the physical kind..such as, lack of food. No disrespect intended, but is anyone familiar with the theory of Maslow's hierarchy of Human needs? The one that stresses that in order for a person to self  actualize their basic physical needs should first be met? Seems it would be hard to internalize scripture and understand it effectively when your brain is preoccupied with hunger pangs. Fricasee of Bible? Seems I would have spent less on the bible and sent food along with it!

Informantion on the hierarchy theory at http://www.performance-unlimited.com/samain.htm

"Every good deed is charity whether you come to your brother's assistance or just greet him with a smile.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
  Share Topic