IslamiCity.org Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Politics > Current Events
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Zidane provoked by ’very serious’ comment  What is Islam What is Islam  Donate Donate
  FAQ FAQ  Quran Search Quran Search  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Zidane provoked by �very serious� comment

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Guest Group
Guest Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Muhammad77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Zidane provoked by �very serious� comment
    Posted: 10 July 2006 at 11:39pm
Zidane provoked by 'very serious' comment: Agent

LONDON, July 10: Zinedine Zidane's World Cup final assault on Marco Materazzi was provoked by a "very serious" comment made by the Italian defender, according to the French playmaker's agent.

Zidane, 34, floored Materazzi with a butt to the chest in the second half of extra-time in Sunday's final and was sent off, missing a penalty shoot-out in which he would have been expected to take one of France's spot-kicks.

The former Real Madrid star's moment of madness in his last match before retiring may have been provoked by Materazzi calling his sister a prostitute, according to a report on Brazilian television channel Globo.

Although neither player has yet revealed the nature of their disagreement, Fantastico, a programme on Globo, employed lip-reading experts who said footage of the incident showed the Italian twice insulted Zidane's sister.

The programme claimed Materazzi made the same comment twice before then using a "coarse word" at the French player.

Italy went on to win the match on penalties and Zidane's agent Alain Migliaccio confirmed to the BBC on Monday that it had been verbal rather than physical abuse from the Italian defender which had triggered his violent reaction.

"He told me Materazzi said something very serious to him but he wouldn't tell me what," Migliaccio said.

"Zinedine didn't want to talk about it but he will talk about it in the next couple of days.

"He is a man who normally lets things wash over him but on Sunday night something exploded inside him.

"He was very disappointed and sad. He didn't want it to end this way."

Zidane has not given his account of the incident but there have also been reports Materazzi had called him a "terrorist" or suggested he did not have the right to play for France -- both insults based on French-born Zidane's Algerian heritage.

Football's world governing body FIFA meanwhile has denied video evidence played any role in Zidane's dismissal.

Referee Horacio Elizondo missed the clash with Materazzi and only issued a red card after being contacted by the fourth official at the match.

There had been speculation, from France coach Raymond Domenech among others, that the official had intervened after seeing the incident replayed on the numerous television screens close to the side of the pitch.

But FIFA spokesman Andreas Herren denied there had been a de facto use of video evidence in this case.

"The fourth official saw it as it happened on the pitch and directly advised the referee and the referee took action. Full stop," he said. "It appears the referee was waiting for the situation to clear up a little bit before taking action."
Angel View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Angel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 July 2006 at 4:25am

You know, you could have put this in the thread that is already opened or in the soccer thread

If zidane is going to talk about what happened then perhaps we can wait

~ Our feet are earthbound, but our hearts and our minds have wings ~
Suleyman View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Suleyman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 July 2006 at 10:26am

Zidane Is Silent; Family Suggests an Insult Provoked Him-

Patrick Kovarik/Reuters

Zin�dine Zidane leaving �lys�e Palace in Paris on Monday. Zidane made no comment on what prompted him to head-butt an Italian player in Sunday�s game.

Published: July 11, 2006

BERLIN, July 10 � While Italy welcomed home its triumphant World Cup champions on Monday, France awaited a full explanation of why its national team captain, Zin�dine Zidane, head-butted an opponent in the chest and was ejected from Sunday�s championship match here.

Philippe Wojazer/Reuters

As Italy celebrated, France wondered why Zin�dine Zidane, with President Jacques Chirac, head-butted an opponent.

Zidane has yet to say anything publicly about the incident. But family members, in telephone interviews, said they believed the Italian defender Marco Materazzi had called Zidane, the son of Algerian immigrants, a terrorist.

�We think he either called him a terrorist or a son of Harkis,�� said Mokhtar Haddad, one of Zidane�s cousins, who studied the pivotal scene on a big screen with friends and family in their home village, Aguemoune, 160 miles east of Algiers.

The Harkis reference is a term for Algerians who fought on the French side in Algeria�s war for independence, and it is a severe insult for someone with Zidane�s heritage.

�The insult went in that direction,�� said Djamel Zidane, Zin�dine�s brother, adding that Zidane was expected to call his family in Algeria on Monday evening or Tuesday to tell them exactly what had happened. �Otherwise he would not have reacted that way.��

An anti-racist organization based in Paris, SOS Racism, issued a statement that said Zidane had apparently been called a �dirty terrorist� by Materazzi in the 109th minute. The group said it based its report on sources it did not name.

Materazzi denied making any such remark, according to the Italian news agency Ansa. �It is absolutely not true,� he was quoted as saying. �I did not call him a terrorist. I�m ignorant. I don�t even know what the word means.�

FIFA offered no explanation of what occurred between Zidane and Materazzi. It has also not made the referee Horacio Elizondo of Argentina available to explain his red-card ejection of Zidane.

On Monday, Zidane was named the top player of the tournament by journalists covering the World Cup. He received 2,012 votes for the Golden Ball award, beating out the Italian defender Fabio Cannavaro with 1,977. (The New York Times does not participate in the voting for the award.)

In Paris, the response of government officials, the public and the news media to Zidane�s act ranged from support to incredulity to anger. By being ejected, Zidane left France without its best player for the final 10 minutes of overtime and for penalty kicks, which Italy won, 5-3, after overtime ended with the score tied at 1-1. It was the 14th ejection in his professional career, according to The Associated Press.

�Zizou is someone who reacts to things,� Aim� Jacquet, the coach of the French team in 1998, told reporters, using Zidane�s nickname. �Unfortunately he could not control himself. It�s terrible to see him leave this way.�

Jean-Fran�ois Lamour, France�s sports minister, said in a television interview in Paris that he could imagine that Zidane was provoked. Still, he called the conduct �unpardonable.�

While Italy�s players celebrated with an estimated 500,000 fans at Rome�s Circus Maximus, home of chariot racing in ancient times, France�s team ate lunch in Paris with President Jacques Chirac.

Chirac called Zidane a virtuoso and a soccer genius. �You are also a man of heart, commitment, conviction,� Chirac said, according to The Associated Press. �That�s why France admires and loves you.�

At the same time, Chirac acknowledged that this was a difficult moment in a splendid career that ended in ignominy on Sunday.

Many consider Zidane the greatest soccer player of the past 20 years. France�s victory at the 1998 World Cup, with Zidane leading the way on home soil, became a proclamation for multiculturalism. He is an iconic figure, perceived as representing family values, discretion, civility and hard work. But Zidane is also a complicated man whose temper has caused him trouble before on the field.

Now his final act as a professional, the head-butting of Materazzi, is sure to undercut his reputation.

Marie-George Buffet, a former French sports minister, said in a radio interview in Paris, �We can�t excuse this gesture.�

The French sports newspaper L��quipe posted a front-page headline that said �Eternal Regrets.�

In an editorial, the paper posed the same question that millions asked of Zidane: Why?

NOTES

Another of the unanswered questions from the World Cup is who will coach the United States when it tries to qualify for the 2010 tournament in South Africa. Bruce Arena, who coached the Americans to the quarterfinals in 2002 and to a tepid first-round exit in this Cup, said he was scheduled to meet this week with Sunil Gulati, the president of the United States Soccer Federation. Arena is expected to say he wants to continue as coach.

Reached at his home in Northern Virginia, Arena would not comment beyond saying he would meet with Gulati.

Another possibility to coach the American team is J�rgen Klinsmann, the now widely hailed German coach who lives in Southern California. But German soccer officials said they planned to do whatever it took to persuade Klinsmann to remain Germany�s coach through the 2008 European Championships.

Doreen Carvajal contributed reporting from Paris for this article.

Edited by Suleyman
Suleyman View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Suleyman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 July 2006 at 10:30am
Materazzi Denies 'Terrorist' Insult

By THE ASSOCIATED PRESS
Published: July 11, 2006

MILAN, Italy (AP) -- Marco Materazzi admits he insulted Zinedine Zidane before the France captain head-butted him in the World Cup final. Materazzi denies calling him a ''terrorist.''

''I did insult him, it's true,'' Materazzi said in Tuesday's Gazzetta dello Sport. ''But I categorically did not call him a terrorist. I'm not cultured and I don't even know what an Islamic terrorist is.''

Zidane and Materazzi exchanged words after Italy broke up a French attack in extra-time of Sunday's final in Berlin. Seconds later, Zidane lowered his head and rammed Materazzi in the chest, knocking him to the ground.

Zidane was sent off, reducing France to 10 men. Italy won the game in a penalty shootout.

''I held his shirt for a few seconds only, then he turned round and spoke to me, sneering,'' the Italian defender said. ''He looked me up and down, arrogantly and said: 'If you really want my shirt, I'll give it to you afterwards.'''

The 32-year-old Inter Milan player did not elaborate exactly on what he said to Zidane.

''It was one of those insults you're told tens of times and that always fly around the pitch,'' he said.

Media reports, based on interpretations by lip-readers, have suggested that Materazzi called Zidane a terrorist or insulted his mother or sister. Materazzi denies these claims, too.

''For me, the mother is sacred, you know that,'' Materazzi told the newspaper.

Angel View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Angel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 July 2006 at 7:49pm
latest articles: we have lip readers to figure out what both men said :roll:
Muhammad77 View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Muhammad77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 July 2006 at 10:53pm
Zidane looks innocent, shy, reserved, silent from his face itself.
najamsahar View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote najamsahar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 July 2006 at 12:49am

The sad part of it all is that these things happen in the game. True sportsmanship is a blah. Sledging is a part of many sports.

I felt that a player of Zidane's stature, last game or not, should have dealt with it better. I am sure he has been through bad things on the field before.

why why why did he lose it.....:

Angel View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Angel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 July 2006 at 4:48am
On my news it was noted that the italian guy says he did insult zidane.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic