IslamiCity.org Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Religion - Islam > Interfaith Dialogue
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Would you agree?  What is Islam What is Islam  Donate Donate
  FAQ FAQ  Quran Search Quran Search  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Would you agree?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amlhabibi2000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 July 2006 at 5:52pm

Alaikoam Salam Patty

I know too well the implications of Mental illness in our communities, Nations and World an have experienced some of it myself though I feel a little bold in saying so.

I will say that I could not have come through the issues I have had to deal with without the benifit of professional counseling.  Mental illness can be devistating for families but it does not have to mean the end of haveing a full life.

As you mentioned medication is key for those who have Mental illness and unfortunately sometimes it takes awhile to accept a person needs medication and therapy.

Fortunately for me my family though dumb founded stood by me and supported me through my ordeal.  In the end we have developed a richer relationship and as strong and as supportive as ever.

One thing that was troubling for my family was accessing information on the illness and especially what to do.

In Canada there is the Mental Health Association and in the Mental Health Out Patients office there are phamphlets with info on particular illnesses and what to do.

One thing family members can do is they can speak with the Mental Health Professionals regarding the care of their loved one or friend.

The best thing to do for persons with Mental Health issues is to be there for them and have clear boundaries as well as let them know if you available if needed for a chat or two.

Myself I did not believe I had a Mental illness I believed it was a spiritual problem and I caused myself and my family a whole lot of grief by not taking my meds and dealing with other health related issues such as diet and exercise.

With my history, education, counseling and consultation I have experienced this makes me want to promote these things with others and the world because though I and my family have suffered through many rough times, these things brought me through the dark times.

As I see it Education, Counseling and Consultation are key tools for restoring Peace within each of us and the World.

Salam

Anne Marie Elderkin Habibi

Edited by amlhabibi2000
Judgement day passes in the moment we decide something needs attention & we take positive action. Then there will be a great sorting out of people into groups, Inspired by Surah 99 Ayat 1-8
Patty View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Patty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 July 2006 at 6:46pm

I am so happy to hear that you are receiving the proper medication and care you need to be mentally stable.  You would probably be surprised to know how many people right here have gone through the same thing....but there is still such an unjustified stigma attached to any mental illness (cruel jokes, abandoning the mentally ill, etc.) that much education remains necessary.  It is absolutely essential that the various mental health agencies educate and inform people of the importance of treatment and care for the suffering patients.  There IS NO SHAME in this illness, and that is what people must somehow learn.

I am very proud of you for having the courage and intelligence to seek the help you needed.  So many people refuse to seek this care, and live their lives in misery.....and also cause great misery for their families and friends in the process. 

It is a topic very dear to my heart.  I have lost three friends and one young, 16 year old cousin to suicide because they did not get treatment for their depression.  They mostly tried to hide their illness. It is very sad that persons with depression are so unhappy and miserable they see only death as a way out.  They have "tunnel vision", and it is very important that they are shown that they do have other options, and that they can be well again.

Bless you, Anne!

Edited by Patty
Patty

I don't know what the future holds....but I know who holds the future.
amlhabibi2000 View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amlhabibi2000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 July 2006 at 6:52pm

Hence my passion for the Inter Faith Education, Counseling and Consultation Jihad.

My enthusiasm comes after great suffering and struggle and it is my hope to inspire others that there is hope and help.

I also am trying to encourage this Inter Faith Jihad so people lay down their weapons of distruction and choose better ways to communicate, solve problems and have relationships.

Life is so short however we have all the time in the world to choose healthier ways of doing and being.

There is hope and we are that hope.

Anne Marie Elderkin Habibi

Judgement day passes in the moment we decide something needs attention & we take positive action. Then there will be a great sorting out of people into groups, Inspired by Surah 99 Ayat 1-8
Hayfa View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Female
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hayfa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 July 2006 at 10:52am

Everything is a good idea in general.  The whole issue of humanity is for them to identify the problems in oneself.  Take my mother for example. She lived the life of what is called a "dry alcoholic." Her methods of escapism were  the same as an alcoholic though it was not through alcohol. It was through reading, watching TV, tuning it all out. By then the damage was done. She is a woman of faith so to speak.

I am certainly in favor of parenting classes.

When you do things from your soul, you feel a river moving in you, a joy. Rumi
Patty View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Patty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 July 2006 at 11:29am
Originally posted by Hayfa Hayfa wrote:

Everything is a good idea in general.  The whole issue of humanity is for them to identify the problems in oneself.  Take my mother for example. She lived the life of what is called a "dry alcoholic." Her methods of escapism were  the same as an alcoholic though it was not through alcohol. It was through reading, watching TV, tuning it all out. By then the damage was done. She is a woman of faith so to speak.

I am certainly in favor of parenting classes.

Dear Hayfa,

You mother sounds very much like my own.  I can certainly relate to what you are describing.  It's very sad, isn't it? 

And, yes, parenting classes are VERY important!

Peace be with you....

Patty

I don't know what the future holds....but I know who holds the future.
amlhabibi2000 View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amlhabibi2000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 July 2006 at 4:04pm

Alaikoam Salam

Certainly people can be dry alcholics and have the mannerisms of an alcholic even though they never drink.

Self identification that we have a problem is important.  It is also important to reach out to community for education, counseling and consultation on these problems or issues for solutions and training.

No one need feel alone as there are many people with similar challenges.

Growing up with parents that are unprepared for the role of parent is frustrating and in some cases devestating.

However there is always hope and if for some reason we cannot find that hope in our families we need community infra strucutres and supports like parenting classes, relationship education, communication skills training, angermanagement training, training in how to cope with stress and frustrations as well as career training.

Sorry to hear Hayfa you had difficulties.

Anne Marie

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
  Share Topic