IslamiCity.org Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Religion - Islam > Interfaith Dialogue
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Would you agree?  What is Islam What is Islam  Donate Donate
  FAQ FAQ  Quran Search Quran Search  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Would you agree?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amlhabibi2000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Would you agree?
    Posted: 03 July 2006 at 12:38pm

Salam Alaikoam

Peace be with you

Would you agree that Education, Counseling and Consultation are key tools in our Inter Faith (Jihad) struggle to be the best people we can be?

Do you agree that Education is an Inter Faith means for raising the Station of Mankind from a life just making ends meet to a life of plenty.

Do you are agree that Counseling and Guidance are important tools from which we can learn skills such as good communication skills, listening skills, attention skills, parenting and relationship skills as well as effective conflict resolution skills.

Do you agree that consultation is a sound frame work from which to rebuild important structure within the family, community and Nation? 

Do you agree that by consulting trained personel or proffessions about our challenges we might find ready resolution for our challenges that give us all grace and dignity? 

Do you agree in consulting our Families, Community and Nations we may find ways to provide needed infra structure and community support agencies such as Mental Health Out Patient Services, Parenting Centers, Addictions Services, Crime Prevention Services and Training Centers?

Just curious to see how many of you support my theory on the Inter Faith Jihad idea and how many of you believe as I do that we are in a time where Peace is possible in all levels of our lives we just need to join together and share the burdens.  Inshallah may we have a great sorting out into groups.

Anne Marie Elderkin Habibi

Edited by amlhabibi2000
Judgement day passes in the moment we decide something needs attention & we take positive action. Then there will be a great sorting out of people into groups, Inspired by Surah 99 Ayat 1-8
Angela View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Angela Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 July 2006 at 3:19pm

Anne Marie,

Can I be blunt but have you understand I do this with sincere love?

Yes, in theory, Education is the answer to most of the worlds problems.  However, education in what?  I could give you a real education on the types of vodka that are good, the types of clubs where you can meet the best men in Moscow, which schools have the best parties.  Education is a very broad term.  Do you mean religious education?  Do you mean social education?  What social structure?  What values do you lift up and which ones do you discourage? 

Counseling...I disagree where everyone needs to see a counselor.  Not everyone is nuts.  There are some people who have healthy outlooks on their faith, their moral values and their families.  Why make these people feel like their must be something wrong because they aren't in counseling?  Perhaps the problem is too many people are turning to counselors and through them drugs like Paxil, Zoloft, Prozac and Lexapro.  People aren't turning their hearts and minds where they are supposed to be, the family and God.  People feel bummed and they rush off to someone they pay $100/hr to analyze what's wrong with them, when perhaps its just that they haven't stopped to kiss there wife before going to work.

Consultation.  While this is very good, your first counselor should be
God.  You should also becareful to not make this a crutch.  I know a few people who can't do anything without going to their Bishop first.  He's just a man, he might have responsibilities towards his flock, but he's fallible.  Its good to ask advice, but its bad to become reliant on that advice to live your life.  We are all humans with brains.  People need to learn how to use that mass of nerves tucked under their skull.

In theory, you're Mantra....Education, Counseling and Consultation are good.  However, you must understand that anything can be twisted and made to hurt society.

First thing people need to help them become more than what they are is to realize they have value and freewill.  Education can both give and take away self worth. 

Second thing, people need to understand that their set of values are not always going to mess with what other people believe.  Promoting understanding is also promoting diversity and understanding that people are not going to always agree.  Thus, Counseling may not work in every culture.  Meditation, prayer and action are all other options given to people, they promote self reliance.

Lastly, Self reliance builds self esteem and a willingness to work hard to effect change.  If you are in constant consultation, you could miss the opportunity to act.  I could have waited to see if my Bishop thought it was a good idea for me to open Women of the Book or go to Islamicity.  But, I acted and I have learned.

So, I hope I've been gentle in showing you though in theory your idea works, in practice it has no substance.  I think your intentions are good.  However, there are many things that look good on paper but breakdown when you enter the human element.  Communism comes to mind.

May God keep you safe and give you heart, Anne Marie. 

Peace

amlhabibi2000 View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amlhabibi2000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 July 2006 at 3:37pm

Thank you Angel for your thoughts, my presumption is that education be in topics that promote individual and social well being.

I realize it is a broad set of terms however I believe we can have an Inter Faith Education, Counseling and Consultation Jihad and to say we need counseling by far does not mean we have Mental Health Issues it means we have challenges such as relationship dinamics to contend with that we may need some encouragement and support to make them function better giving everyone grace and dignity.  Counseling is not a bad thing.

I feel your a little negative about my enthusiasm about Education, Counseling and Consultation as tools to peace.

I realize everyone may not be as entusiastic as I am but all I can do is get the word out. eh

Salam

Anne Marie

Judgement day passes in the moment we decide something needs attention & we take positive action. Then there will be a great sorting out of people into groups, Inspired by Surah 99 Ayat 1-8
Angela View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Angela Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 July 2006 at 4:01pm

Its not so much negativity as it is a demand for real substance and planning. 

For example... Interfaith Education.  Anne Marie, my imaginary son comes to you as his teach...with innocent eyes, he looks up at you and says. "Who is Jesus?" 

What are you going to tell him?  I'm Mormon, so what I teach my son about Jesus is even different from what other Christians teach.  How would you answer my son?  You can't.  Not without getting me upset.

Interfaith Education is more of an awareness of differences than a push for unity.  Unless the ultimate goal is to have everyone believing the same thing.

I'm someone who stresses individuality and self reliance.  I believe there is not enough focus on the development of the individual mind. 

I think part of your education, couseling and consultation should first start with self awareness.  Again, you haven't really defined what you mean by these three things.

What kind of education/counseling/consultation are you offering?  What value system are you using as your basis?  What is your target audience? 

Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amlhabibi2000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 July 2006 at 7:42pm

What kind of education/counseling/consultation are you offering?  What value system are you using as your basis?  What is your target audience?  Angel

Education:  Training in professions that up lift the individual and Mankind ie trades such as cooking, plumbing, carpentry, Careers such as Teaching, Counseling, Engineers, Nursing, Doctors, Lawyers, Office worker ie traing so we all have a means to provide for ourselves and our families that give grace and dignity to all.

Education also in things I have mentioned before relationship skills, good communication skills, effective conflict resolution skills, parenting skills, cross cultural education as well as education and training in how to cope with stress and frustrations.

Counseling can come in many forms and it does not mean everyone has Mental nHealth issues however if a person is having problems or challenges with relationships, parenting, addictions, grieving, has experience trauma or loss then there is help out there.  Good professional counselors do not do everything for the person they empower the individual to be self reliant and if need be draw on Community resources or infra structure so they can succeed in life and meet their challenges with grace and dignity.  Sure you may find the odd counselor that is unqualified but most of them at least in Canada are excellent at what they do.  I can speak of that from first hand experience.

Consulting:  When we have challenges we need places to get information and technical advice and this comes from agenices or community infra structures or networks that provide that kind of service.  If you want to build a house you would consult an arcetech, if you have medical problems you would consult a doctor, if you want to choose a career you would consult a career counselor, if you want to open a business you would consult a small business development branch, if you want to grow some flowers or a garden you could consult a garden center.  Basically I am encouraging people to reach out to community agencies and infra structures to get advice related to their particular challenges.  In others words I am also encouraging governments to make sure these needed infra structures and networks are there to assist people in being the best they can be.  Also I am encouraginbg each of us that we are not alone and there is hope.

I too am very much encouraging self development and self empowerment with my proposal of an Inter Faith Education, Counseling and Consultation Jihad.  I want to see all Nations with Community Networks and Infra Structures that people need to be empowered to be their best.

My value system is very basic, ie I believe if we are given the tools we need to live a good life we will be able to be there for others and ourselves on a daily basis.  I believe if we have the tools ie the education, counseling and consultation we will make better choices and resolve our challenges in more peaceful loving ways than in the past.  I believe that respect is something when shared grows.  The basic principle is that we should believe people are good unless they prove us wrong and if they prove us wrong then set boundaries for them so they have guidlines from which to learn the skill of being respectful/respected.

My target audience is everyone ie anyone who wants to see the world being a better place, anyone who wants to be a better person, anyone who wants their community to be a better place, anyone who feels they are being left out, anyone who feels the world is falling apart.

Basically I hope to inspire individuals and the world that we have what we need to have personal and world peace and what we need now is cooperation and participation in community to make life better for everyone not just some of the people.  This includes the seen and the unseen which translates to the importance of recycling for the environment.  There is hope we are that hope and inshallah we can and must make the world better for all beings.

Essentially I hope to build on infra strucutres already in place in most countries and encourage each of us to utilize them as the need arises and in some cases before the need arises.

I do my best with what I have and maybe my effort is too small, however I have to start somewhere so figured this is just as good as any place to start inspiring the masses that there is hope and there is help and not to give into dispair.

I am still working on channels for consulting government regarding the need to encourage further community infra structure building at home and in other countries.  Locally in my community we have many of the networks and infra structure I have reffered too though in some areas there still needs some work.

Maybe the task is bigger than I am but at the very least you have to give me credit for working at inspiring us that there is hope within ourselves and the world and we can build on it.

Salam

Anne Marie Elderkin Habibi

Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amlhabibi2000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 July 2006 at 7:49pm

As for religious education I believe that learning about many Faiths helps us understand for ourselves what we really believe in and appreciate the similarities among many Faiths.

So the object when it comes to religion or faith is not to brain wash anyone but to give them the information from which to choose for themselves what their beliefs are.

One thing this effort may do is to promote learning cross culturally and religiously so we can appreciate where others come from and have more respect for the diversity of Mankind and all that goes into making us all speacial people with unique beliefs and ways of doing things.

I am not sure about you Angel but aren't you tired of people making assumptions based on misinformation?  Or judging someone as bad just becuase they come from a particular race, religion or social statis.

Angela View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Angela Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 July 2006 at 8:08pm

You are right about me wanting more education...however, children should not be confused, a parent has a right to raise their children without interference from others.  I honestly believe that faith is something that should be taught only in the home.  I personally felt the confusion of growing in a multifaith home. 

But, I agree with pretty much most of this...

Originally posted by Anne Marie Anne Marie wrote:

Education:  Training in professions that up lift the individual and Mankind ie trades such as cooking, plumbing, carpentry, Careers such as Teaching, Counseling, Engineers, Nursing, Doctors, Lawyers, Office worker ie traing so we all have a means to provide for ourselves and our families that give grace and dignity to all.

Education also in things I have mentioned before relationship skills, good communication skills, effective conflict resolution skills, parenting skills, cross cultural education as well as education and training in how to cope with stress and frustrations.

These things are the goal of LDS services.  An organization within my Church.  Empowering people with the tools to get good jobs, healthcare and everything they need to succeed and be self sufficient.  We have couseling services, welfare programs, education programs, employment resources.  These are available to members of all faiths without obligation.  Fees paid for couseling services and adoption services are only to cover cost of operation that the church cannot. 

That is why I wanted you to spell it out...as it were.  There are programs out there like you're talking about....

DavidC View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Male Christian
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DavidC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 July 2006 at 11:13pm
No.  What is important is that God siezes you by the heart.

What you describe are merely exercises used to keep the mind busy.  The mind is the cause of problems, not the solution.  Your idea will only distract people from God - then they will argue about different schools of social work, counseling etc. 

This plan increases ego and that is the wrong direction entirely.  You have built an elaborate method of constructing intellectual barriers to faith.

You can't think your way to God, Anne.  You must pray your way there, and do a good bit of "unthinking" as well.

Christian; Wesleyan M.Div.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic