IslamiCity.org Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Comments & Complaints
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - To The Moderators  What is Islam What is Islam  Donate Donate
  FAQ FAQ  Quran Search Quran Search  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

To The Moderators

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
lovetabuleh View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lovetabuleh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: To The Moderators
    Posted: 09 July 2006 at 4:18pm

Br. Israfil, I think i know where you're comming from in terms of hearing muslims talk about hate things vs not hating things. Have you ever listened to Dr. Hassan Hathout?  He is a wonderful scholar and it's a great blessing to be in his presence when he talks to us in terms of how and where the muslim ummah is going off course.  He's got a book, Reading The Muslim Mind.

in my dad's website he put in a good deal about Dr. Hathout and his book :

http://www.islamic-study.org/Reading%20the%20Muslim%20Mind.h tm

If you want to hear a good dialogue about how islam relates to jews, listen to Dr. Hathout answering the hard questions thrown at him by Jewish scholar Laura Schlessinger in her radio show.

http://www.islamicity.com/multimedia/radio/ch1100/

Israfil View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Israfil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 July 2006 at 4:53pm

Originally posted by Megatron Megatron wrote:

I'm kind of upset that this issue has attempted to focus on Israfil, when he is expressing a relevant issue. 

I sense that people are upset about Israfil "questioning" and "taking apart" certain views regarding Islam.  Maybe I'm generalizing and I'm not looking in depth into the issue but that's the impression that I get.

If Islam is so perfect, why should Israfil be castigated for questioning the issues and attempting to dismantle certain viewpoints held by the religion?  Some of the most steadfast reverts to Islam approached the religion with skepticism.  You also must understand that some people like to take apart arguments as a means of understanding them.  If you approach an idea in Islam with a skeptical mind and through search and discovery you eventually understand its doesn't that show the strength of Islam better than blindly accepting those beliefs?

You can criticize people as much as you want saying, "that I need to read more" or "your religion is weak", but honestly, I've read the Quran till I'm blue in the face and it leaves a lot to interpretation.  There are many issues in the Quran that are not discussed and the Quran admits this itself:

[18:109]  Say, �Had the ocean served as ink to write about Allah, then surely the ocean would run out, but the narrative about Allah would not. Even if We supplied that much more ink as a refill!"

That being said, there is a lot about Islam that is up for debate.  Also being involved in educating students, I tell you that if you ask them to memorize information, they preform very poorly.  If you ask them to understand, cogitate and debate issues they learn much much more.  I believe the same can also be said about Islam.

Thank you Megatron for understanding.....I understand that there are both sides that comment on the issue and I appreciate everyone's input. suzanne regarding your message, first off, there is nothing inappropriate about PM. You are not in my presence and nor am i in yours so where do you find PMing me inappropriate. Remember if your intentions are to help me that is all you need however if that is your only excuse then I can only say that I cannot depend on you to help.

As far as your comments concerning what others have said to me, that is fine howver someone judging me is not the words of Allah. I have been judged here many times and its quite unfortunate that I take from those experiences and feel in the sense that majority of my brethren are against me.

Angel View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Angel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 July 2006 at 6:25am
Good points megatron.
~ Our feet are earthbound, but our hearts and our minds have wings ~
Megatron View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Megatron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 July 2006 at 7:30pm
I'm kind of upset that this issue has attempted to focus on Israfil, when he is expressing a relevant issue. 

I sense that people are upset about Israfil "questioning" and "taking apart" certain views regarding Islam.  Maybe I'm generalizing and I'm not looking in depth into the issue but that's the impression that I get.

If Islam is so perfect, why should Israfil be castigated for questioning the issues and attempting to dismantle certain viewpoints held by the religion?  Some of the most steadfast reverts to Islam approached the religion with skepticism.  You also must understand that some people like to take apart arguments as a means of understanding them.  If you approach an idea in Islam with a skeptical mind and through search and discovery you eventually understand its doesn't that show the strength of Islam better than blindly accepting those beliefs?

You can criticize people as much as you want saying, "that I need to read more" or "your religion is weak", but honestly, I've read the Quran till I'm blue in the face and it leaves a lot to interpretation.  There are many issues in the Quran that are not discussed and the Quran admits this itself:

[18:109]  Say, �Had the ocean served as ink to write about Allah, then surely the ocean would run out, but the narrative about Allah would not. Even if We supplied that much more ink as a refill!"

That being said, there is a lot about Islam that is up for debate.  Also being involved in educating students, I tell you that if you ask them to memorize information, they preform very poorly.  If you ask them to understand, cogitate and debate issues they learn much much more.  I believe the same can also be said about Islam.

Srya View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Srya Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 July 2006 at 5:40pm
You wrote:

"None of you, surprisingly even offered to speak with me privately to be more indepth of my situation."

I do not know if this is directed toward me;  However,  since I had previously posted here once and have been following along I would like to say...please know two reasons why I have not done this privately is: I am a woman and I don't think it is appropriate and the other is: I am still leaning so much I felt I could not give you the same level of advice the other Sisters have posted here. But, please know that I have been concerned. I know some what of what you are going Thur. I to have had problems on this (That is why I suggested you read the thread I started) 

You also wrote:

"I feel that a lot times we offer what I call advice from a distance"

Inshallah what the Sisters have said to you here with the help of ALLAH swt first then them even though it may not have been as private enough for you. My hope is their advice will aid you.
Angel View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Angel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 July 2006 at 9:11am

Generally directed, ok

"Pray to God and you'll feel better"

When one says this, what makes you think that the person who is struggling is not praying to God ??

If that is all it took to make one feel better......then everyone would be doing that.

~ Our feet are earthbound, but our hearts and our minds have wings ~
Israfil View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Israfil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 July 2006 at 8:54am

Fatima thank you for your heart felt message and I appreciate the sincerity you bring. These are things I'm trying daily and its unfortunate for me to have to suffer indeed however as have mentioned before there are variables within my life that has lead me to this point. I believe I have already established that I do not question God or God's existence I believe what I mentioed here is my faith which, we have already discuss in length already. But it is appropriate that we carefully choose our words in addressing the Muslim brothers and sisters when they are suffering from faith.

Call it sugar coating or call it sensitivity training but I believe when we address each other it is best to be careful in how we choose our words. This is the problem I had with a few moderators which sister Herjihad had brought to light. When comments are addressed to me such as "You have to see where I'm coming from" takes away my plea for understanding because if I'm crying out for help one should not overlook my emotion and distress with the reply "You should see it from our way."

A lesson about people guys (I exclude sister herjihad since she already understands where I'm going with this) When you are addressing a person in crisis be sensitive. Listen to what the person says and address what the person is saying. It does not always help to throw scripture because if that were the case, I wouldn't be in the position that I'm in now. Look at this as counseling rather than preaching. Let me ask you can you ALWAYS cure person suffering from thoughts of suicide with Biblical verses or Quranic verses? No. Sometimes they need counseling to address the problem. I'm not saying I'm in that same boat but that is an example.

When some of you give me adivce none of you even asked me "Why are you feeling this way?" I'm surprised none of you asked that. You think cause I said some stuff here you know? If you asked maybe I'd tell you. None of you, surprisingly even offered to speak with me privately to be more indepth of my situation. I feel that a lot times we offer what I call adivice from a distance.

That is, we will give them supporting advice from afar but wish not the other persons problems impede on ours. Therefore we tell people "Pray to God and you'll feel better" rather addressing the problems personally first hand. Sorry, maybe that's me being a psychologist in that respect but it gives me comfort to know that there are people really care about my situation and my spiritual rehabiliation.

fatima View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fatima Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 July 2006 at 5:55am

Bismillah irrahman irrahim

Assalamu alaikum

Brother israfil, no one here thinks that your case is sad and taking pity on you. I am sure brother must have meant that you feeling down due to behaviour of others is sadening.

You know what people around me made my belief stronger because they let me down. People always expect high of others, hardly forgive you for your mistakes and keep reminding you of the past. Allah swt does not, so please dont be disapointed about the deen due to people. I am not sure whether its practical for you or not but when i dont agree with some1 after a while i leave it alone. No one in this day and age knows the exact position of so many laws. All you need to know is your heart is sincere and you dont associate anyone with Allah swt. Follow the deen brought by Sayyidina Muhammad (saw) to best of your ability and ask Allah for forgiveness for short comings. InshaAllah you are and will be ok.

wassalam

Say: (O Muhammad) If you love Allah, then follow me, Allah will love you and forgive you your faults, and Allah is Forgiving, MercifuL
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
  Share Topic