IslamiCity.org Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Religion - Islam > Stories - How I Became Muslim?
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - My Journey from the Cross to the Crescent  What is Islam What is Islam  Donate Donate
  FAQ FAQ  Quran Search Quran Search  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

My Journey from the Cross to the Crescent

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Male Islam
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote semar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: My Journey from the Cross to the Crescent
    Posted: 13 April 2005 at 6:02pm

Salam,

I copied this from http://www.noorkhan.com, the website is owned Sr. Lorena (now Noor) from New York, that converted about 2-3 months back.

Semar

======

My Journey from the Cross to the Crescent

Assalamualaikum! My name is Noor.  First of all, I would like to say jazakallah khairun to a friend who generously gave me this webspace.  Now, I am not about to let this gift go to waste.  I am determined to put this wonderful gift to good use that would not only benefit me but insha-Allah, others as well.
As a recent convert (or more appropriately, revert ), I completely understand your almost unquenchable thirst for Islamic knowledge.  And believe me, this is the most beautiful kind of knowledge you can ever hope to seek or gain.  I am nowhere close to being an expert on Islam but I am not letting that stop me from being excited to share with you all the knowledge that I have gained from all the amazing treasure of Islamic resources (ie. articles, books, lectures, websites) available.  This website is essentially a compilation of the most interesting, informative, inspiring and above all, reliable resources that I have come across since I started my own journey.  Insha-Allah you will find something here that would help you in some way, as you embark on your own journey.

My Thoughts
This section contains my personal thoughts, ideas, musings and ponderings. This would also include new things I have learned in class or lectures.

Islam Basics
This section contains articles which feature the basics of the great Islamic faith. It is imperative for a new Muslim to know the basics in order for him/her to gain understanding of the faith.

Recommended Readings on Islam - Books, Articles, Poems etc.
This section contains books, articles, poems that I have personally found to be extremely helpful in understanding this great faith.

Recommended Books
View the exciting books about Islam listed in our Books section!

Favorite Links
This is a list of my favorite Islamic websites

Discuss
Here is where we get a chance to share information, thoughts, questions about Islam.

Events
This section lists events that feature activities involving Islam. The events listed here are just the ones happening in the New York area.

In Awe of Allah (swt)
Let us together ponder Allah (swt) and His magnificent creations. Should we not be in awe?

Downloads
Articles, E-Books, Audio, Video Resources that can be downloaded...

Services Area - Find Islamic Centers in your area, Know the Prayer Times & more!
Know where the Islamic centers, Masjids, Halal Restaurants in your area, what the Prayer Times are & more!

Guide for new Muslims
This section is essential for new Muslims. Insha-Allah the articles here will help you how to perform some of the basic rituals in Islam.

Edited by semar
MOCKBA View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MOCKBA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 April 2005 at 6:28pm

looking at the heading i could not resist commenting that as far as my knwledge is concerned, the symbol of crescent has no authentic significance in Islaam...

it is one of the attributes of non-Muslims to pick a symbol and attribute some religious importance to it... and sadly, many Muslims follow... with crescents, stars, cubes in the shape of ka'aba, more recently AK-47's and others...

Islaam is not about symbols...

MOCKBA

semar View Drop Down
Male Islam
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote semar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 April 2005 at 6:55pm

Mockba said: "Islam is not about symbols..."

I agree with you, but I think this is not haram. People associate with that kind of things, just make it easy to remember and recognized. I think there is benefit of it even though just a little. For example if we go to someplace that we don't know the language and you want to find a mosque or a church or a synagogue, the symbol will be very useful. It's very easy to differentiate the mosque with other building because the doom or crescent or arabic character, you even can see it from distance.

So we don't need to waste our energy to argue the crescent, doom or etc are OK or not. If you like it, use it; if not, don't use it.

Edited by semar
Salam/Peace,

Semar

"We are people who do not eat until we are hungry and do not eat to our fill." (Prophet Muhammad PBUH)

"1/3 of your stomach for food, 1/3 for water, 1/3 for air"
MOCKBA View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MOCKBA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 April 2005 at 8:15pm
Originally posted by semar semar wrote:

I agree with you, but I think this is not haram.

If you like it, use it; if not, don't use it.

When it comes to classifying haraam and halaal we must be very careful and not propose something out of our own thinking. It is better to leave something unclassified... leaving it for qualified people to handle.

Similarly our "likes" and "dislikes" are not to navigate religious matters and practices of our daily lives... Mosques are best located by keeping in touch with brothers and sisters in Islaam, which at the same time helps strengthen the bond.

I totally agree with you that time should not be wasted on a topic like this. However, as mentioned earlier was too much tempted to comment... perhaps due to it's simplicity. Although, within generations to come this 'crescent phenomenon' may evolve into something distant from Islaam much closer to  today's 'cross phenomenon'.

Ma'a salaam.

MOCKBA

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic