IslamiCity.org Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Culture & Community > Groups : Women (Sisters)
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - pregnancy-related help  What is Islam What is Islam  Donate Donate
  FAQ FAQ  Quran Search Quran Search  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

pregnancy-related help

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>
Author
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Angela Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 June 2006 at 2:16pm
Thanks Herjihad.....If you hadn't given me credit.  I might have had to tease you about that...and for the original sister.  You can set up the Baby registries so they are private. 
aamna View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aamna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 June 2006 at 2:56pm
I am going to apply for WIC and food stamps.  Angela, will they really help me? i live in bay ridge, brooklyn.  what exactly do I tell them?  also i was looking online about "crisis pregnancy centers" that also look christian based and help pregnant women in need.  do you know anything about them?

i will set up a registry, but i don't know what i really need!  i'm a first time mom and i'm not sure what's absolutely necessary.. 

i know that i want to exclusively breastfeed as long as possible inshaAllah... so hopefully that will cut down costs also.  any other tips?    
Angela View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Angela Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 June 2006 at 3:11pm

Aamna,

You'll want to just go to Walmart and make a wish list.  You'll need car seats, stroller, crib, changing table/dresser, baby bath, high chair, diapers, clothes, booties, towels, blankets, toys....its all very overwhelming.  You have MONTHS to prepare.

Yes, the LDS Church will help without obligation.  Here is a link to the Brooklyn Stake Wards.  Find out which one is closest to you and give them a call.  Tell the Bishop you have a Mormon Friend in Utah and that she suggested you contact the Church for help.  Tell them that I assured you that you would not be pestered (just in case the Bishop doesn't know the rule about not proselyting to Muslims) and that you need help with basic needs.  The Bishop will help you, he'll ask for you to do a budget with him.  He will see where your greatest needs are and help you out.  Sometimes they will even pay for doctors visits and medications. 

https://secure.lds.org/units/stake/0,9780,606-1-5-613304,00. html?

Crisis Pregnancy Centers are normally for teen pregnancies.  They are set up to help single teens and are often run by evangelical groups.  I can't speak from them, but you're more likely to run into proselyting or be denied because you're married.  Sometimes they are actually adoption agencies, I would call them and talk to them on the phone and find out about them before you go in.  Planned Parenthood will offer low cost visits, they would be a good start.  They are not run by any faith group and help anyone who is low income. 

Also, Like Muslima suggested.  Talk to you local Imam.  Perhaps the Mosque in your area can help out too.  I just know that some mosques are financially struggling, that they are full of hardworking but poor immigrants.  You might be lucky and be able to get help from your own people, but if not...I know my Church will help.

aamna View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aamna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 June 2006 at 3:12pm
also.. do any of you know of anything that can help with really bad all day sickness?  i can't stop throwing up.. its making me miserable because most of the time i feel like i can't function..
aamna View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aamna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 June 2006 at 3:15pm
Originally posted by Angela Angela wrote:

Aamna,

You'll want to just go to Walmart and make a wish list.  You'll need car seats, stroller, crib, changing table/dresser, baby bath, high chair, diapers, clothes, booties, towels, blankets, toys....its all very overwhelming.  You have MONTHS to prepare.

Yes, the LDS Church will help without obligation.  Here is a link to the Brooklyn Stake Wards.  Find out which one is closest to you and give them a call.  Tell the Bishop you have a Mormon Friend in Utah and that she suggested you contact the Church for help.  Tell them that I assured you that you would not be pestered (just in case the Bishop doesn't know the rule about not proselyting to Muslims) and that you need help with basic needs.  The Bishop will help you, he'll ask for you to do a budget with him.  He will see where your greatest needs are and help you out.  Sometimes they will even pay for doctors visits and medications. 

https://secure.lds.org/units/stake/0,9780,606-1-5-613304,00. html?

Crisis Pregnancy Centers are normally for teen pregnancies.  They are set up to help single teens and are often run by evangelical groups.  I can't speak from them, but you're more likely to run into proselyting or be denied because you're married.  Sometimes they are actually adoption agencies, I would call them and talk to them on the phone and find out about them before you go in.  Planned Parenthood will offer low cost visits, they would be a good start.  They are not run by any faith group and help anyone who is low income. 

Also, Like Muslima suggested.  Talk to you local Imam.  Perhaps the Mosque in your area can help out too.  I just know that some mosques are financially struggling, that they are full of hardworking but poor immigrants.  You might be lucky and be able to get help from your own people, but if not...I know my Church will help.

thank you!!
Mishmish View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mishmish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 June 2006 at 6:12pm

Assalamu Alaikum Sister:

Here is a list of Mosques in your area. Any of them should be able to help you, Insha'Allah.

http://local.yahoo.com/results?fr=dd-local-more&stx=mosq ues&csz=Brooklyn%2C+NY

I've heard that sucking on peppermint hard candy helps. I always do crackers and ginger ale.

Edited by Mishmish
It is only with the heart that one can see clearly, what is essential is invisible to the eye. (The Little Prince)
najamsahar View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote najamsahar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 June 2006 at 1:20am

Sister,

Have you considered letting your families know about the news?

The prospect of a grandchild can sometimes heal wounds

herjihad View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote herjihad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 June 2006 at 9:01am

Originally posted by aamna aamna wrote:

also.. do any of you know of anything that can help with really bad all day sickness?  i can't stop throwing up.. its making me miserable because most of the time i feel like i can't function..

Bismillah,

I had hyperemia so I can relate to your struggle.  Until then I was very strong and had no health problems in my life that I knew of. Children.  What a joy!

The very first thing to do is to schedule a blood test for your vitamin levels.  This way you can take specific vitamins for your body and eat specific foods.

Very often there is a deficiency in B vitamins.  Right now go buy a good pregnancy multivitamin.  What is good?  One without preservatives which is much more expensive but also much, much more effective.  You can get this at a whole food store, health food store type place or the internet.  But you need this today.  And I know it's hard to keep vitamins down, so if you vomit one up, then take another later in the day.

My 12 year old wants me to read with him, so I had better go now and take this chance.  Pm me if you want more advice about this topic or anything else.

Peace

Al-Hamdulillah (From a Married Muslimah) La Howla Wa La Quwata Illa BiLLah - There is no Effort or Power except with Allah's Will.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>
  Share Topic