IslamiCity.org Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > General Discussion
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - What is true patriotism?  What is Islam What is Islam  Donate Donate
  FAQ FAQ  Quran Search Quran Search  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

What is true patriotism?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
Author
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Male
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peacemaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: What is true patriotism?
    Posted: 17 June 2006 at 11:59am

Assalamu Alaikum! 

As Muslims we must abide by the laws of the land. Patriotism is not prohibited in Islam. In fact, you are encouraged to dedicate your life to serve your nation and its citizens whether or not the country you live in is a Muslim country. But, patriotism too has its limits. Blind patriotism, for example, is not allowed in Islam. Blind patriotism here means that you keep supporting your country at all costs with no consideration whatsoever of right or wrong. A true Muslim citizen loves his country and fellow citizens and residents, and at the same time, whenever he sees that any injustice is being committed, he raises the voice. Not speaking against injustice is not the part of true patriotism according to dictates of Islam.

What do you think?

Peace

Edited by peacemaker
Then which of the favours of your Lord will ye deny?
Qur'an 55:13
Muslima View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Muslima Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 June 2006 at 1:38pm

I do agree completely. If you criticize your country, this is to improve it. in France for example, they are quite patriotic and they always do protests.

At the same time being a French Algerian, I think in some societies, this is difficult to be patriotic if we as Muslims are not considered or being allowed to take part in the political and economical activities of the society. This explains the riots in France not so long ago.

Personally, although I was born in Francee, if there was a war there tomorrow, I would not consider that I have been attacked. Although I have been only a few times in Algeria, I consider it as my land.

Also, this is easier to feel this way for immigrants in Francee as we know from which national country we come from. But in the US, Black people are just afro-americans so they still feel americans I think. In France we felt close to them during Katrina as in France, it would have been us Muslims and Arabs and Africans in their situations.

Edited by Muslima
Mishmish View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mishmish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 June 2006 at 2:46pm

Assalamu Alaikum:

I think America is unique in that anyone who comes here from another country can become an American.

I think this is not true of most societies.

I do love my country. I do not always love the policies of my country, and I am very vocal about that...  But America is my home.

I always become angry when people say: If you don't like America, leave. America was built on people not liking the status quo and working to change it. If everyone left who did not like America, it wouldn't even be an independent country now, but still colonies under British rule.

I think that speaking out against injustice is not just the mandate of Muslims but of all people of conscience. Fortunately we can still do so in America. Although I do see this freedom and others like it being threatened in a very real way by the current administration. Insha'Allah this to shall pass...

It is only with the heart that one can see clearly, what is essential is invisible to the eye. (The Little Prince)
Muslima View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Muslima Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 June 2006 at 3:01pm

I do agree with you Mishmish.

I have a real problem with the US but I am sure that when the majority is like you Mishmish, we will be celebrating your country.

peacemaker View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Male
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peacemaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 June 2006 at 4:54pm

Assalamu Alaikum!

Sister Mishmish: "I think that speaking out against injustice is not just the mandate of Muslims but of all people of conscience."

Jazak Allah Khair. I will move this thread to General Discussion.

Peace

Then which of the favours of your Lord will ye deny?
Qur'an 55:13
fatima View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fatima Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 June 2006 at 5:14am

Bismillah irrahman irrahim

Assalamu alaikum

i think patriotism is not solely for the boudries of a country, its for religion, a ruler and country among many other things, i think first and foremost is your religion, your religion tells you to be patriotic to your country and ruler,

I love living in england bcos no one ever stopped me from practising my religion, i am a law abiding citizen, i don't like whats police is doing to many muslims at this point but i do agree that muslims should try to stop their kids from going to extreme and think its good killing innocent people. now fighting for sake of your country thats a tricky bit bcos i don't think i can support england in killing thousands of muslims, same goes to another country of mine which is pakistan, i hate what musharraf did, he used muslims troops to kill muslims and a very clear hadith states hell as resort for people who die fighting against fellow muslims,

wassalam

Say: (O Muhammad) If you love Allah, then follow me, Allah will love you and forgive you your faults, and Allah is Forgiving, MercifuL
herjihad View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote herjihad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 June 2006 at 6:47am
Originally posted by peacemaker peacemaker wrote:

Assalamu Alaikum! 

As Muslims we must abide by the laws of the land. Patriotism is not prohibited in Islam. In fact, you are encouraged to dedicate your life to serve your nation and its citizens whether or not the country you live in is a Muslim country. But, patriotism too has its limits. Blind patriotism, for example, is not allowed in Islam. Blind patriotism here means that you keep supporting your country at all costs with no consideration whatsoever of right or wrong. A true Muslim citizen loves his country and fellow citizens and residents, and at the same time, whenever he sees that any injustice is being committed, he raises the voice. Not speaking against injustice is not the part of true patriotism according to dictates of Islam.

What do you think?

Peace

Bismillah,

Why are we patriotic?  Because of love and loyalty to family, friends, and neighbors?  We want to do the best for them.  Does that mean that we should do anything we can so that they can lead a peaceful life, or does it mean that we should help them to live righteous lives?  A life dedicated to our Loving Lord, the All-Powerful Allah is a righteous life. 

Should we support the rules and mechanisms of a country because "we found our forefathers doing that", or should we correct the errors and shout out the injustices?  I think we should think very long and hard for ourselves on this topic. 

Going with the flow is so much easier:  The flow of a country's ways, the flow of the "religious" people in charge.  First off, we are obligated to think things through so that we won't be following the errors of our parents blindly, as the Holy Quran instructs us to avoid such an error.

Peace

Oh, thinking is allowed.  Let's not stop thinking.  Ideas vitalize us.

Al-Hamdulillah (From a Married Muslimah) La Howla Wa La Quwata Illa BiLLah - There is no Effort or Power except with Allah's Will.
Patty View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Patty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 June 2006 at 7:13am

Beautiful post, herjihad!

God's Peace!

Patty

I don't know what the future holds....but I know who holds the future.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
  Share Topic