IslamiCity.org Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Religion - Islam > Interfaith Dialogue
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - A question  What is Islam What is Islam  Donate Donate
  FAQ FAQ  Quran Search Quran Search  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

A question

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 6789>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AnnieTwo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 June 2006 at 3:14pm
Originally posted by Mishmish Mishmish wrote:

And then Luke went on to butcher the Geneology of Joseph, the father of Jesus. And is that "his father David" in a literal sense or figurative sense, because that can be an issue...

Luke's account was through Mary, not Joseph.  David in a legal sense.

Originally posted by Mishmish Mishmish wrote:

If it was not important that Jesus be connected to King David paternally, why even try?

No one is saying it isn't important.

[/QUOTE]
14If you are reproached for the name of Christ, blessed are you, for the Spirit of glory and of God rests upon you. On their part He is blasphemed, but on your part He is glorified. 1 Peter 4

BMZ View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BMZ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 June 2006 at 8:58am

Annie,

From you: "Matthew is the genealogy of Joseph; Luke is the genealogy of Mary.  Would you like some links to help you understand?"

No, thanks. I don't need links on that. Looks like you have been misinformed. Both Matthew and Luke call it The Genealogy of Jesus.

Luke 1:  29Mary was greatly troubled at his words and wondered what kind of greeting this might be. 30But the angel said to her, "Do not be afraid, Mary, you have found favor with God. 31You will be with child and give birth to a son, and you are to give him the name Jesus. 32He will be great and will be called the Son of the Most High. The Lord God will give him the throne of his father David, 33and he will reign over the house of Jacob forever; his kingdom will never end."

Annie, Angels normally never make a mistake and do not disobey God. Why didn't the Angel tell Maryam to name him Immanuel?

From you, Annie: "Looks like God took care of the genealogies."

Looks like God did not really take care of that.

AnnieTwo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AnnieTwo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 June 2006 at 9:52am

Originally posted by BMZ BMZ wrote:

From you: "Matthew is the genealogy of Joseph; Luke is the genealogy of Mary.  Would you like some links to help you understand?"

No, thanks. I don't need links on that. Looks like you have been misinformed. Both Matthew and Luke call it The Genealogy of Jesus.

Jesus had two parents, hence two genealogies; one through his legal adoptive father and the other through his mother.

Luke 1:  29Mary was greatly troubled at his words and wondered what kind of greeting this might be. 30But the angel said to her, "Do not be afraid, Mary, you have found favor with God. 31You will be with child and give birth to a son, and you are to give him the name Jesus. 32He will be great and will be called the Son of the Most High. The Lord God will give him the throne of his father David, 33and he will reign over the house of Jacob forever; his kingdom will never end."

Annie, Angels normally never make a mistake and do not disobey God. Why didn't the Angel tell Maryam to name him Immanuel?

Haven't we gone through this before?

From you, Annie: "Looks like God took care of the genealogies."

Looks like God did not really take care of that.

Oh, but He did.

Annie

14If you are reproached for the name of Christ, blessed are you, for the Spirit of glory and of God rests upon you. On their part He is blasphemed, but on your part He is glorified. 1 Peter 4

BMZ View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BMZ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 June 2006 at 8:55pm

Annie,

From you: "Jesus had two parents, hence two genealogies; one through his legal adoptive father and the other through his mother."

Oh! Please stop that!  English is my third language.

A parent is defined as a person who has begotten or borne an offspring; a father or a  mother. By this definition, only Mary was the rightful parent. She was a single mother, Annie. That is more factual.

You can discuss his mother's genealogy and that of Joseph but you cannot have any Genealogy of Jesus, as he had no man father. Period! Jews gave the genealogies only through the true fathers who begot or fathered their sons. Thanks for allowing me to use archaic terms.

AnnieTwo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AnnieTwo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 June 2006 at 4:11am
Originally posted by bmzsp bmzsp wrote:

Annie,

From you: "Jesus had two parents, hence two genealogies; one through his legal adoptive father and the other through his mother."

Oh! Please stop that!  English is my third language.

A parent is defined as a person who has begotten or borne an offspring; a father or a  mother. By this definition, only Mary was the rightful parent. She was a single mother, Annie. That is more factual.

You can discuss his mother's genealogy and that of Joseph but you cannot have any Genealogy of Jesus, as he had no man father. Period! Jews gave the genealogies only through the true fathers who begot or fathered their sons. Thanks for allowing me to use archaic terms.

If you adopted a son would he not inherit your possessions as your own biological children would?  Joseph was Jesus' legal father.  Do you see?

Annie

BMZ View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BMZ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 June 2006 at 4:34am

Annie,

From you: "If you adopted a son would he not inherit your possessions as your own biological children would?  Joseph was Jesus' legal father.  Do you see?"

Yes, Annie. An adopted son of mine will have a share to inherit from my material wealth but he cannot share anything of my genes and my true genealogy.

He will still be an adopted son who cannot claim any birth-right from me, although he would have all the love, affection and kindness showered upon by me and my family.

Angela View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Angela Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 June 2006 at 7:57am

I kinda have to agree with certain logic.  The only reason I think (this is me personally) that Joseph's genealogy is important is because of his betrothal to Mary.  If she was a daughter descended from the line of Prophets including David.  Then her husband would have to be someone of equally high status.  Also, its to show that Joseph too was a pious and faithful soul. 

In most societies, one does not marry beneath them.  Even in societies such as the US you find class structures that hold to a near caste system. 

Mary was an extremely pious and special woman.  She was beloved by God to have been chosen to carry his Word made flesh.  No other will have this honor given to them.

Thus, the man chosen to care for Mary must too be special.  Zachariah was the father of John the Baptist and her protector in the Quran.  Joachim and Anne dedicated her to the Temple according to Eastern Orthodox tradition.  Which means that all her life, Mary was only cared for by the best and the most faithful. 

Joseph could be no less.

AnnieTwo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AnnieTwo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 June 2006 at 7:26am
Originally posted by bmzsp bmzsp wrote:

Annie,

From you: "If you adopted a son would he not inherit your possessions as your own biological children would?  Joseph was Jesus' legal father.  Do you see?"

Yes, Annie. An adopted son of mine will have a share to inherit from my material wealth but he cannot share anything of my genes and my true genealogy.

He doesn't have to share your genes.  He is a legal heir.

He will still be an adopted son who cannot claim any birth-right from me, although he would have all the love, affection and kindness showered upon by me and my family.

What do you mean by "birth-right?"  Wouldn't you consider him a real part of the family with an equal share in whatever your biological children inherit?

Annie

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 6789>
  Share Topic