IslamiCity.org Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Religion - Islam > Interfaith Dialogue
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Satan’s Great Manipulation of Christians  What is Islam What is Islam  Donate Donate
  FAQ FAQ  Quran Search Quran Search  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Satan’s Great Manipulation of Christians

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 10>
Author
Senior  Member
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Patty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 June 2006 at 7:52pm

Aquinian said:

"Peace be with you..."

And also with you......

Pax domini!

Patty

I don't know what the future holds....but I know who holds the future.
peacemaker View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Male
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peacemaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 June 2006 at 9:01pm

Acquinian: "It's my belief that Allah and the God of Abraham are two different entities, as defined by their respective followings."

When you say anything of this sort here, you must quote reference from reliable sources in your support.

Allah is the Master of the entire universe, and He sent His Messengers such as Abraham, Moses, Jesus and Muhammad ( peace be upon them ) to guide the mankind from time to time.

Peace

Edited by peacemaker
Then which of the favours of your Lord will ye deny?
Qur'an 55:13
Andalus View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andalus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 June 2006 at 10:42pm
Originally posted by Aquinian Aquinian wrote:

As others have said, Catholics do not worship pictures, statues, or crosses.  Catholics worship the Holy Eucharist.  The Holy Eucharist is the body of Christ present in the front of the church, which is why the kneeling takes place.  As you would kneel before Allah, so do Catholics kneel before the Jesus Christ, present in the Eucharist.

As for the pictures, statues, and crosses, these are comparable to photos taken of your best friend.  When you look at photos of your best friend, you do not worship them but use them to remember the friend who is not with you.  We use pictures, statues, and crosses to remember the gifts that God has given us.

Greetings.

Pagan worship with the use of idols can also consist of not actually worshping the stone, but actually worshipping its representation.

I understand the intention of Catholic worship, but I also understand that the road to hell was paved with good intentions. The images become an opiate for worship, and distract from Gd and His message. One cannot simply look at an image and remove it from the center of worship. It is human nature.

Some might refer me to the Ten Commandments when God says that man shall make no graven image.  Catholics make images of God all the time though, so how do we reconcile these beliefs?

After God gives this commandment, he then directs the Israelites to build the Ark of the Covenant.  For the Ark, he gives them very specific directions to make angels and other images on it.  I have heard that Muslims do not allow any images of the prophets or angels because they believe that Allah does not allow any of these images. 

Gd ordering images on the Ark is far different from allowing statues of saints and paintings of Gd being depicted as an old "white" man from Europe. Also, the exact status of what can be draw or created is a matter of interpretation for the Jews, and even now 3 D images are still forbidden. Some Rabbis have used the images on the Ark to create a loophole for image creativity for the purpose of education or to beautify the commandments. Once again, this is all academic and open to interpretation.

That is fine, but then that means that Allah and the Jewish God are two different entities with two different rules.  One allows the image of angels etc and the other does not.  One God allows holy images so long as they are not worshipped, and the other does not allow any images.

Your logic produces an impasse for your theology.

Noah had "x" number of prohibitions.

Moses recieved "y" number of prohibitions, some an addition to that of x.

Therefore, The Gd of of Noah is not the same Gd of Moses.

So holding your thinking as true, then which Gd did Noah worship?

The God of Abraham does not allow the worship of any image.  That's okay for Catholics, because Catholics do not worship any images that they make.  They use them to remember and praise God through their talents.

The church played a game of semantics. So by writing long discourse about the topic of "worship", they could free themselves of any wrong doing.

It's my belief that Allah and the God of Abraham are two different entities, as defined by their respective followings.  I cast no moral judgment on either faith, as I am uninterested in interfaith 'wrangling.'  We are all sinners, after all.  Peace be with you...

Great, then please find out which Gd Noah worshiped.

I would agree that we are all capable of sinning, but we also have the ability to follow the commands of Gd, regardless of what the church has told you. The proof is from the words of Moses himself, if you hold your OT as true.

Peace

A feeling of discouragement when you slip up is a sure sign that you put your faith in deeds. -Ibn 'Ata'llah
http://www.sunnipath.com
http://www.sunniforum.com/forum/
http://www.pt-go.com/
DavidC View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Male Christian
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DavidC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 June 2006 at 10:52pm
Aquinian, you should be aware that Roman Catholic doctrine clearly states that both Catholics and Muslims worship the same God.
# # #

Lumen gentium 16

Finally, those who have not yet received the Gospel are related in various ways to the people of God.(18*) In the first place we must recall the people to whom the testament and the promises were given and from whom Christ was born according to the flesh.(125) On account of their fathers this people remains most dear to God, for God does not repent of the gifts He makes nor of the calls He issues.(126); But the plan of salvation also includes those who acknowledge the Creator. In the first place amongst these there are the Mohamedans, who, professing to hold the faith of Abraham, along with us adore the one and merciful God, who on the last day will judge mankind.

Nostra aetate 3

The Church regards with esteem also the Moslems. They adore the one God, living and subsisting in Himself; merciful and all- powerful, the Creator of heaven and earth,(5) who has spoken to men; they take pains to submit wholeheartedly to even His inscrutable decrees, just as Abraham, with whom the faith of Islam takes pleasure in linking itself, submitted to God. Though they do not acknowledge Jesus as God, they revere Him as a prophet. They also honor Mary, His virgin Mother; at times they even call on her with devotion. In addition, they await the day of judgment when God will render their deserts to all those who have been raised up from the dead. Finally, they value the moral life and worship God especially through prayer, almsgiving and fasting.

Since in the course of centuries not a few quarrels and hostilities have arisen between Christians and Moslems, this sacred synod urges all to forget the past and to work sincerely for mutual understanding and to preserve as well as to promote together for the benefit of all mankind social justice and moral welfare, as well as peace and freedom.

# # #

With this in mind, do you still care to continue with your conceit?

Edited by DavidC
Christian; Wesleyan M.Div.
Aquinian View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aquinian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 June 2006 at 5:25am
Originally posted by Andalus Andalus wrote:

Great, then please find out which Gd Noah worshiped.

I would agree that we are all capable of sinning, but we also have the ability to follow the commands of Gd, regardless of what the church has told you. The proof is from the words of Moses himself, if you hold your OT as true.

Peace

You specify that God makes x NUMBER of prohibitions for Noah and y NUMBER of prohibitions for Moses.  The fact that you use "number" is of great significance.

The number of rules that Allah gives to Muslims and God gives to Christians may differ, certainly, but the types of rules are what really matter.  If Allah tells Muslims not to make any image whatsoever, this directly opposes the rule that God tells the Israelites: make these images for the Ark of the Covenant.

Just because Yahweh gives a different number of rules to Noah than Abraham does not mean that there are two different Yahwehs.  It matters only if his rules directly conflict.  Making images and not making images is a clear and direct conflict between Allah and Yahweh.

Patty View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Patty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 June 2006 at 5:31am

Dear David,

You are correct.  I'm not sure if Aquinian is Roman Catholic or not, but I know that I AM!  Of course we all worship the same God.  The God of Abraham.  The priests often have a homily (sermon) regarding this subject during Mass.

However, as a Roman Catholic I can also refute Andalus' words regarding the "worship" of statues and pictures.  Andalus, my friend, you have, or are being, misled on this idea.  I have a beautiful statue of Mary of Fatima in my home, and a framed picture of the Blessed Virgin at the Chapel of Loreto in my home.  We have a magnificant painting of the Holy Family (Mary, Joseph, and baby Jesus) which came from St. Patrick's Cathedral in NYC, in our living room.  However, we NEVER WOULD THINK OF WORSHIPPING THEM!!!!!  It is a mortal (or greivous sin) in my religion....which means if you were to die without repenting a sin such as this you are doomed.

I respectfully disagree with your statements that Catholics have learned to "skirt" around what we are really doing.  Why would we do that?  We have no need to do such a thing.  We always say exactly what we believe and why we believe it.  If the Church encouraged worshipping of statues and/or pictures, I would not be lying and saying "nope, we don't do that....we do this".  But I am telling you the truth because I cannot stand the myths and misconceptions to go about undefended.  So to make myself perfectly clear, my friend, we do not worship any "things".  We enjoy their beauty and we are reminded of their great faith and love for us by seeing their pictures and statues.  (Just as I do when I see the pictures before me of my beloved Grandchildren, but I DON'T worship my Grandchildren as any sort of gods, even though I love them dearly.)  We worship God.....the God of Abraham, which in my religion includes God the Father, Jesus the Son, and The Holy Spirit.  Three entities, ONE GOD.

As you know, I don't expect you or anyone of another faith to believe as I do......but I also cannot in good conscience allow misconceptions, myths, and untruths go undefended about my chosen religion either. 

God's Blessings Upon You!

Patty

Aquinian View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aquinian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 June 2006 at 5:33am
Originally posted by DavidC DavidC wrote:

Aquinian, you should be aware that Roman Catholic doctrine clearly states that both Catholics and Muslims worship the same God.
# # #

Lumen gentium 16

Finally, those who have not yet received the Gospel are related in various ways to the people of God.(18*) In the first place we must recall the people to whom the testament and the promises were given and from whom Christ was born according to the flesh.(125) On account of their fathers this people remains most dear to God, for God does not repent of the gifts He makes nor of the calls He issues.(126); But the plan of salvation also includes those who acknowledge the Creator. In the first place amongst these there are the Mohamedans, who, professing to hold the faith of Abraham, along with us adore the one and merciful God, who on the last day will judge mankind.

Nostra aetate 3

The Church regards with esteem also the Moslems. They adore the one God, living and subsisting in Himself; merciful and all- powerful, the Creator of heaven and earth,(5) who has spoken to men; they take pains to submit wholeheartedly to even His inscrutable decrees, just as Abraham, with whom the faith of Islam takes pleasure in linking itself, submitted to God. Though they do not acknowledge Jesus as God, they revere Him as a prophet. They also honor Mary, His virgin Mother; at times they even call on her with devotion. In addition, they await the day of judgment when God will render their deserts to all those who have been raised up from the dead. Finally, they value the moral life and worship God especially through prayer, almsgiving and fasting.

Since in the course of centuries not a few quarrels and hostilities have arisen between Christians and Moslems, this sacred synod urges all to forget the past and to work sincerely for mutual understanding and to preserve as well as to promote together for the benefit of all mankind social justice and moral welfare, as well as peace and freedom.

# # #

With this in mind, do you still care to continue with your conceit?

While you are correct about Catholic doctrine, I am not the most adherent of Catholics when it comes to theological "decrees" from the church.  I prefer to hear it from the source:

Jesus said to them, "I tell you the truth, unless you eat the flesh of the Son of Man and drink his blood, you have no life in you. Whoever eats my flesh and drinks my blood has eternal life, and I will raise him up at the last day." John 6:53-54

Though I sincerely believe that Muslims are devout and moral people, Christ states this without equivocation.  The Church often acts as a diplomatic body without considering the addage: WWJD?

Patty View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Patty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 June 2006 at 5:33am

Here is what the Catholic Church believes regarding statues and paintings:

Do Catholics Worship Statues?

"Catholics worship statues!" People still make this ridiculous claim. Because Catholics have statues in their churches, goes the accusation, they are violating God�s commandment: "You shall not make for yourself a graven image or any likeness of anything that is in heaven above, or that is in the earth beneath, or that is in the water under the earth: you shall not bow down to them or serve them" (Ex. 20:4�5); "Alas, this people have sinned a great sin; they have made for themselves gods of gold" (Ex. 32:31).

It is right to warn people against the sin of idolatry when they are committing it. But calling Catholics idolaters because they have images of Christ and the saints is based on misunderstanding or ignorance of what the Bible says about the purpose and uses (both good and bad) of statues.

Anti-Catholic writer Loraine Boettner, in his book Roman Catholicism, makes the blanket statement, "God has forbidden the use of images in worship" (281). Yet if people were to "search the scriptures" (cf. John 5:39), they would find the opposite is true. God forbade the worship of statues, but he did not forbid the religious use of statues. Instead, he actually commanded their use in religious contexts! 

God Said To Make Them

People who oppose religious statuary forget about the many passages where the Lord commands the making of statues. For example: "And you shall make two cherubim of gold [i.e., two gold statues of angels]; of hammered work shall you make them, on the two ends of the mercy seat. Make one cherub on the one end, and one cherub on the other end; of one piece of the mercy seat shall you make the cherubim on its two ends. The cherubim shall spread out their wings above, overshadowing the mercy seat with their wings, their faces one to another; toward the mercy seat shall the faces of the cherubim be" (Ex. 25:18�20).

David gave Solomon the plan "for the altar of incense made of refined gold, and its weight; also his plan for the golden chariot of the cherubim that spread their wings and covered the ark of the covenant of the Lord. All this he made clear by the writing of the hand of the Lord concerning it all, all the work to be done according to the plan" (1 Chr. 28:18�19). David�s plan for the temple, which the biblical author tells us was "by the writing of the hand of the Lord concerning it all," included statues of angels.

Similarly Ezekiel 41:17�18 describes graven (carved) images in the idealized temple he was shown in a vision, for he writes, "On the walls round about in the inner room and [on] the nave were carved likenesses of cherubim." 

The Religious Uses of Images

During a plague of serpents sent to punish the Israelites during the exodus, God told Moses to "make [a statue of] a fiery serpent, and set it on a pole; and every one who is bitten, when he sees it shall live. So Moses made a bronze serpent, and set it on a pole; and if a serpent bit any man, he would look at the bronze serpent and live" (Num. 21:8�9).

One had to look at the bronze statue of the serpent to be healed, which shows that statues could be used ritually, not merely as religious decorations.

Catholics use statues, paintings, and other artistic devices to recall the person or thing depicted. Just as it helps to remember one�s mother by looking at her photograph, so it helps to recall the example of the saints by looking at pictures of them. Catholics also use statues as teaching tools. In the early Church they were especially useful for the instruction of the illiterate. Many Protestants have pictures of Jesus and other Bible pictures in Sunday school for teaching children. Catholics also use statues to commemorate certain people and events, much as Protestant churches have three-dimensional nativity scenes at Christmas.

If one measured Protestants by the same rule, then by using these "graven" images, they would be practicing the "idolatry" of which they accuse Catholics. But there�s no idolatry going on in these situations. God forbids the worship of images as gods, but he doesn�t ban the making of images. If he had, religious movies, videos, photographs, paintings, and all similar things would be banned. But, as the case of the bronze serpent shows, God does not even forbid the ritual use of religious images.

It is when people begin to adore a statue as a god that the Lord becomes angry. Thus when people did start to worship the bronze serpent as a snake-god (whom they named "Nehushtan"), the righteous king Hezekiah had it destroyed (2 Kgs. 18:4)."

Peace and Wisdom!

Patty

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 10>
  Share Topic