IslamiCity.org Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Religion - Islam > Basics of Islam
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Is Music a gift from God?  What is Islam What is Islam  Donate Donate
  FAQ FAQ  Quran Search Quran Search  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Is Music a gift from God?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Guest Group
Guest Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote salman_s Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2006 at 4:54am
Originally posted by Angel Angel wrote:

Originally posted by salman_s salman_s wrote:

So why wouldn't music be something to understanding the creator?

music is not the thing that should be used to understand the Creator (Allah). to understand the Creator, Allah has revealed the glorious Qur'an to the final prophet of Allah, that is, Prophet Muhammad (may peace and blessings of Allah be upon him). The Qur'an is a book full of guidance to mankind from the Lord of the alamin (mankind, jinn and all that exists).  and all of mankind has been ordered by Allah to believe in Allah, to worship Allah (alone), to believe in the Qur'an which has been revealed to Prophet Muhammad (pbuh) and to follow the commandments of Prophet Muhammad (pbuh).

Birds sing and make songs, which can be musical in itself, I guess birds aren't honouring the creator  

ofcourse , birds do celebrate the praises of their Creator (Allah). all that is in the heavens and on the earth and all that is between them celebrate the praises of their Creator. Allah is not in need of his creation, but the creation is in need of Allah.

The scriptures don't help me personally to understand the creator, give me science, give me creative stuff like music, the world around us, people and at this moment can't think of any more

Scriptures to me is only one part of so many things to understand the creator

angel, Allah has mentioned in the Qur'an that the life of this world is a comfort of illusion. this world is nothing. Allah has also revealed in the Qur'an in Chapter Ar-Rahman (The Most Gracious) Whatever is there, everything will perish! And the face of your Lord full of majesty and honour will remain forever ! Then which of the favours of your Lord will ye (both classes of jinn and men) deny ?       i don't remember the verse number.

so for understanding The Creator, don't go for worldly things. this life is temporary. for understanding the Creator, Allah has revealed the Qur'an to Prophet Muhammad (pbuh) and also Allah has also revealed in the Qur'an many scientific facts regarding the creation of universe how it was created, how it will decay, regarding life and death, regarding minute details of paradise and hell and many such other things which makes us ponder over the might and glory of Allah. angel, i suggest that you go through the translation of the Qur'an atleast once.    

salman_s View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote salman_s Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2006 at 5:22am

So why wouldn't music be something to understanding the creator?

music is not the thing that should be used to understand the Creator (Allah). to understand the Creator, Allah has revealed the glorious Qur'an to the final prophet of Allah, that is, Prophet Muhammad (may peace and blessings of Allah be upon him). The Qur'an is a book full of guidance to mankind from the Lord of the alamin (mankind, jinn and all that exists).  and all of mankind has been ordered by Allah to believe in Allah, to worship Allah (alone), to believe in the Qur'an which has been revealed to Prophet Muhammad (pbuh) and to follow the commandments of Prophet Muhammad (pbuh).

Birds sing and make songs, which can be musical in itself, I guess birds aren't honouring the creator  

ofcourse , birds do celebrate the praises of their Creator (Allah). all that is in the heavens and on the earth and all that is between them celebrate the praises of their Creator. Allah is not in need of his creation, but the creation is in need of Allah.

The scriptures don't help me personally to understand the creator, give me science, give me creative stuff like music, the world around us, people and at this moment can't think of any more

Scriptures to me is only one part of so many things to understand the creator

angel, Allah has mentioned in the Qur'an that the life of this world is a comfort of illusion. this world is nothing. Allah has also revealed in the Qur'an in Chapter Ar-Rahman (The Most Gracious) Whatever is there, everything will perish! And the face of your Lord full of majesty and honour will remain forever ! Then which of the favours of your Lord will ye (both classes of jinn and men) deny ?       i don't remember the verse number.

so for understanding The Creator, don't go for worldly things. this life is temporary. for understanding the Creator, Allah has revealed the Qur'an to Prophet Muhammad (pbuh) and also Allah has also revealed in the Qur'an many scientific facts regarding the creation of universe how it was created, how it will decay, regarding life and death, regarding minute details of paradise and hell and many such other things which makes us ponder over the might and glory of Allah. angel, i suggest that you go through the translation of the Qur'an atleast once.    

also angel, i want to say that Allah has kept his signs and proofs in the creation of this verse itself. so yes you can understand the Creator by looking at this world, what he has created, but not by music, and music is a thing which creates the desire for this world, and we muslims have been told by Allah that you should have the desire for the hereafter as the life of the hereafter is everlasting whereas the present life is temporary as i have already mentioned above.

and ponder over Allah's creations by making reference to the Qur'an -

Allah says in the Qur'an how Allah has spread the earth for His creatures, and He has set the mountains firm, and He has given sleep to us as a rest, and how the night and day follow ach other, the night is when we rest, the day is when we work.

Allah says in the Qur'an in Chapter Ya-Sin  Neither the sun overtakes the moon nor the night outstrips the day. They all float in an orbit (by the will of Allah)      

Allah can be best understood by referring to His word and that is The Qur'an. so i really would want you to go through the translation of the Qur'an atleast once. insha Allah

salman_s View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote salman_s Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2006 at 5:25am

i made a spelling mistake in the first line of the above post angel. here is the corrected line please read - 

also angel, i want to say that Allah has kept his signs and proofs in the creation of this universe itself.

BlueSun View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BlueSun Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2006 at 6:27am

�The seven heavens and the earth, and all beings therein, declare His glory: there is not a thing but celebrates His praise; And yet ye understand not how they declare His glory! Verily He is Oft-Forbear, Most Forgiving!�  (Quran, Al-Isra, 17: 44).

The verse does not mention God by name, it says He. So it means whoever created these things, they glorify Him. So we start investigating the creation. In the way things are created, they glorify God. This verse is claiming that things themselves provide the proof to us. If we study an atom or a molecule, we will find that their Creator is Absolute. They glorify God with their tongue of disposition; by showing us how they are so perfectly created. Quran is teaching me how I should approach the creation, rather than how things are. Study a creation, and understand who can bring it into existence. Study an atom and understand that it requires absolute wisdom and knowledge to come into existence. This is how the heavens, the earth and all in them glorify God as if they were conscious. From our perspective, and for us to get to know God, this is what God is drawing our attention to.

Khalid ibn Waleed - The Sword of Allah - Greatest General of all time !!!
BlueSun View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BlueSun Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2006 at 6:36am

There is not a single thing that does not glorify and praise Him� (Quran, Al-Isra, 17:44).

This verse means we cannot say that anything is worthless, because all created things glorify and praise God as if they were conscious. But how can a drop of water say my Creator is Absolute? The verse is so challenging. Orientalists say Muslims are obsessed by God, mock that Muslims claim everything glorifies God, and that Semitic mentality likes to mystify everything. One reason they see it this way is that oneness of God did not develop in Western tradition as in Islam. They don�t have the distinction between existence of God and oneness of that existent God. How do we see and confirm the oneness of God in our life? Quran says go and look at the creation!

Cassandra View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cassandra Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2006 at 6:58am
I feel the same emotive response when I hear the Allahu Akbar as I do when I hear Gregorian Chant, or a sung mass.  Surely the human voice reaches the divine spirit in song?  Maybe that is exactly what it is for. How could this possibly be a sin? Or is this a clash of monotheisms here?  Does Allah dislike what God and JaWeH appreciates?
BlueSun View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BlueSun Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2006 at 7:19am

The Qir'at of the Qur'an by Sheikh Sudaish (of Saudi Arabia, Mecca) is perhaps the most melodic of all, yet it encompasses the profundity of the creator, the wretchedness of his creation, the completeness of his guidance, the abundance of his sustenance and the gracefulness of his forgives, and the wrath of his punishment.

But this is poetry, and the best of all poetry is indeed the Qur�an. The recitation of the Qur�an aloud is so it reaches the human spirit as a salvation !

Patty View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Patty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2006 at 9:02am

Obviously I enjoy reading the Psalms.  They have a splendid melody to me.  I also am deeply enriched by the Gregorian Chants.  We have a song in church called "Praise to the Lord, the Almighty, the King of Creation"....which is yet another beautiful song of praise to God.  One of the most beautiful and touching songs (imo) as a Catholic is the Ave Maria which is sung to honor the virgin Mary, the mother of Jesus. 

I believe, as I've stated before I think, that the classical compositions are a touch of heaven here on earth.  I believe God gave these talents to certain individuals, just as he gave us many people with extraordinary talents, such as artists, physicians, scientists, religious scholars, etc.  We all have certain talents.  Many times we have talents we don't realize we have, but we should use whatever talents we do have all for the glory of God.  If we are good at talking with, or visiting those who are hurting, either physically or emotionally, then we should do that.  Helping others is one of the greatest talents of all (imo). 

Patty

I don't know what the future holds....but I know who holds the future.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
  Share Topic