IslamiCity.org Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Religion - Islam > Stories - How I Became Muslim?
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Physics  inadequate 4 describing reality  What is Islam What is Islam  Donate Donate
  FAQ FAQ  Quran Search Quran Search  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Physics inadequate 4 describing reality

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Female
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nausheen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Physics inadequate 4 describing reality
    Posted: 08 March 2005 at 8:38pm

Topic:

Physics was inadequate for describing the reality (1 of 4), Read 94 times

Conf:

Islam: How I Became Muslim

adji

Date:

Thursday, November 06, 2003 05:21 PM

Alhamdulillah, this is the most amazing conversion story I have ever read - Allah-hu-Akbar. The Truth has a way to come-out sooner or later, even against all odds ... May Allah (swt) continue to guide him and many like him and accept our humble efforts (ameen).

I share this story that I got it from my friend at IslamiCity.

=====
HOW I CAME TO ISLAM

It's true, I was an atheist. Satan caused me to be pleased with myself for
having this attitude. I was arrogant. I thought that because I had some little knowledge of physics that all of reality could potentially be explained by fundamental laws and random processes. I saw no need for a god. I had the vague concept that by some mechanism, by some subtle aspect of quantum mechanics, all the matter and energy of the Universe was created in a gigantic blast and that quantum statistics, the elementary particles, the forces of nature, all condensed out of the super heated primordial soup with the beautiful symmetry of the Standard Model of
elementary particles. I thought that hadronic matter possessed its elegant simplicity because that is the only way it could be and not by design.
I thought, "If anything is God, it is the forces of nature." I held to the
belief that it was the created stuff and their forces of interaction were what could be considered to be God. It is a smug sort of pantheism of which the devotees consider themselves more intelligent than its gods
and where in the act of creation is considered to be a singular anomalous event. This is the typical attitude of most western scientists. I inherited it from my father and my professors. I studied a little
quantum field theory and said, "Look, you can create a particle from the vacuum state. That must have been how it all started. The beginning of time was just some quantum fluctuation and BANG all matter explodes out of the primal vacuum." That is how little I knew about quantum field theory.
I now know that a process like that is totally forbidden in quantum field theory. The problem was that I couldn't get my head beyond the worship of created things. I couldn't yet accept that the forces of nature were created by Allah.

About ten years ago I started to have doubts about my doubting ways. I developed a theory to describe how the electrons in a special class of substances known as Heavy Fermions behave. The mathematics of this
theory was very involved and difficult and it took me about 3 months to work it out. At the end I was astounded how accurately my theory predicted published experimental results. All the accepted physical properties of Heavy Fermions were contained in my theory and I published it in a prestigious physics journal. But I started to think about my monumental achievement. Granted, the mathematics for this problem was difficult to develop but once it was developed it seemed almost trivial. I wondered how my stripped down model of reality could give such accurate results.
I began to get the feeling that there was a deep and orderly reality "unseen" by the apparatus of theoretical physics.

I was haunted by this feeling that Physics was inadequate for describing the full depth of reality but I abhorred religion, especially Christianity. I could never accept Christianity. None of it makes sense. How could God have a son? Why is the Creator of the Universe, the Infinite Cosmic Intelligence, going to have a son? Now, instead of one god, you've got two. Then the Catholics add on the Holy Ghost and you've got three gods to worship. Add in the apostles and saints and you start worshiping hundreds of gods. It defies reason. Besides, almost every devout Christian I have ever met has been an egregious hypocrite. They lie and deceive to get into your wallet, they badly mistreat their women, they are ignorant fools
led around like sheep by some charismatic preacher, they are completely self absorbed and treat anyone who isn't in the fold with bitter contempt. They hate the scientific method, they refuse to use their intelligence
if they have any, and they run from the Truth as if they are running for their lives. There is no way that I could ever sit down with those people on Sunday and join in worship of their many false idols.

I started practicing yoga when I was 51 years old. I discovered how stiff and inflexible I was in my body, my mind and my heart. I saw that my heart was hard like a rock. I thought I had better fix that so for two years I practiced yoga postures every day for about five hours. Gradually, the pain and effort of the postures gave way to a blissful state balanced between tension and relaxation. As my respiration slowed and deepened the spurious thought waves that arose in my conscienceness diminished and dissipated. I practiced candle staring. One night early last Spring while candle staring I had a sudden and distinctly startling vision. I suddenly saw in the candle's flame a tribe of people before
me. They had the appearance of an ancient race of desert nomads. They were tall and lanky standing in front of their tents and mud huts. Their long robes were tattered and soiled. They had a similar appearance to the Arab bedouins I had seen in an issue of National Geographic when I was a young boy, but their faces, both male and female, were monstrously grotesque.
I could see from their eyes that these people were truly evil. Some of them were openly engaging in acts of sex, while others were prostrating themselves before idols made of sticks and mud. At the time I was very puzzled by this vision. I closed my eyes and the vision went away.
Then suddenly, with my eyes closed, I distinctly saw myself wearing a white turban and wrapped from head to foot in a white robe prostrating myself in a mosque with other Muslims. I had the feeling that we were in some form of sheltered safety while a violent storm passed over us. I opened my
eyes quite surprised and asked myself, "Am I a Muslim?"

The next night, I believe it was a full moon night, I practiced candle staring again and again I clearly saw a tribe of people in the candle's flame but this time they were dressed in modern western clothing and
abiding in rooms with modern furnishings. They had, however, the same grotesque mark of evil on their faces as I had seen on the previous night. They engaged in open acts of sex, drank alcohol with unquenchable
thirst, and committed bloody acts of violence against each other. They seemed
to be worshiping their own desires. They seemed proud and actually pleased with the way they behaved. It was very disturbing. I closed my eyes and immediately I began to ponder the end of time. I asked myself, "What would it be like if the Universe ended in a cataclysmic gravitational
collapse?" I saw countless stars being gobbled up the giant black hole at the galactic center. I saw the giant black holes of the galactic centers coalescing and consuming entire galactic clusters, billions of stars streaming into an infinite abyss of no physical dimension. I saw the earth being ripped apart with the mountains and seas violently broken to pieces and hurled into space. I saw the sky fold in on itself. Maaliki yawmid-din. I asked
myself, "What will happen to my soul on this terrible day?" I saw the souls of mankind rising from the earth and streaming ineluctably and irresistibly towards the Creator like rays of light. I opened my eyes
with the ardent desire to read the Qur'an.

A few days later I managed to obtain a copy of the Qur'an through the mail. I also received some general information about Islam. At that time I knew absolutely nothing about my new religion. I read the general information about Islam then I said, "Ashhadu an la ilaha illallahu, wa
ashhadu anna Muhammadan abduhu wa rasuluh". I began reading the Holy Qur'an with Surah Al Fatiha. This is how I came to Islam. Al-Hamdulillahi Rabbil Aalamiin.

Peace,
-Fred

Topic:

Physics was inadequate for describing the reality (2 of 4), Read 95 times

Conf:

Kim [email protected]

Date:

Thursday, November 06, 2003 06:57 PM

I have never understood why God and science cannot co-exist.

However,

>Besides, almost every devout
>Christian I have ever met has
>been an egregious hypocrite.
>They lie and deceive to get
>into your wallet, they badly
>mistreat their women, they are
>ignorant fools
>led around like sheep by some
>charismatic preacher, they are
>completely self absorbed and
>treat anyone who isn't in the
>fold with bitter contempt.
>They hate the scientific
>method, they refuse to use
>their intelligence
>if they have any, and they run
>from the Truth as if they are
>running for their lives.
>There is no way that I could
>ever sit down with those
>people on Sunday and join in
>worship of their many false
>idols.
>

Men of _all_ religions and persuasions abuse their women. Has this guy never heard of "honour killings", for example? I find it incredible that in such a well-written story, written by someone who is so obviously well-educated that the author would stoop to such a sweeping generalisation.

Either that or his community was full of really twisted, pretend Christians.

Kinda like the Jackson family. (the ones that starved their sons)

Kim...

Topic:

Physics was inadequate for describing the reality (3 of 4), Read 92 times

Conf:

m.c

Date:

Friday, November 07, 2003 11:09 AM

Kim, i just wanted to know that according to u which faith permisses "Honour Killings?" I remember reading a post on honour killing here a few days back. It's in one of the other forums...i think it;s in removing misconceptions but im not truely sure...

"If any good has come from this post it is undoubtedly from Allah swt, and it any mistakes have come from it then they are from myself."

Topic:

Physics was inadequate for describing the reality (4 of 4), Read 84 times

Conf:

adji

Date:

Tuesday, November 11, 2003 10:18 AM

Just additional info, he is a physics professor in a prestigious university in California.

Edited by administrator
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic