IslamiCity.org Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Religion - Islam > Interfaith Dialogue
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - The Da Vinci Code  What is Islam What is Islam  Donate Donate
  FAQ FAQ  Quran Search Quran Search  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

The Da Vinci Code

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 8>
Author
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AbRah2006 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: The Da Vinci Code
    Posted: 24 May 2006 at 8:23am
The Western media that is  controlled by the Christians or Zionists has slandered the prophet Muhammad by drawing some cartoon pictures to degrade him. When the Muslims become angry, the Western people says it is ok to draw the cartoons to slander Muhammad in the name of media freedom and freedom of speech. And the non-Muslim media carry on offending the Muslims by publishing more cartoons to degrade Muhammad.

It is an irony that when an educated European said that the Holocaust did not exist , he was charged in the court by the Zionists and Christians. So where are the so-called media freedom and freedom of speech?

And now many Christians are angry because of  The Da Vinci Code and some of them spit on it etc!

Christian leaders in countries such as Thailand, Singapore, India and South Korea have been aggressive and vocal in urging censorship, bans and boycotts.

In the Philippines, where the majority of citizens are Roman Catholic, the Manila City Council banned The Da Vinci Code on Thursday. It threatened to issue fines or jail time to theatres caught screening it or those selling pirated versions for personal viewing.(Source: http://www.cbc.ca/story/arts/national/2006/05/18/da-vinci-ch ina.html )

So where are the so-called media freedom and freedom of speech?

Am I wrong if I say that this is the hypocrisy of the West?

God does not forbid you from showing kindness and dealing justly with those who have not fought you about religion and have not driven you out of your homes. God loves just dealers. (Quran, 60:8)
Abednego View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Abednego Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2006 at 9:03am
Originally posted by AbRah2006 AbRah2006 wrote:

The Western media that is  controlled by the Christians or Zionists has slandered the prophet Muhammad by drawing some cartoon pictures to degrade him. When the Muslims become angry, the Western people says it is ok to draw the cartoons to slander Muhammad in the name of media freedom and freedom of speech. And the non-Muslim media carry on offending the Muslims by publishing more cartoons to degrade Muhammad.

It is an irony that when an educated European said that the Holocaust did not exist , he was charged in the court by the Zionists and Christians. So where are the so-called media freedom and freedom of speech?

And now many Christians are angry because of  The Da Vinci Code and some of them spit on it etc!

Christian leaders in countries such as Thailand, Singapore, India and South Korea have been aggressive and vocal in urging censorship, bans and boycotts.

In the Philippines, where the majority of citizens are Roman Catholic, the Manila City Council banned The Da Vinci Code on Thursday. It threatened to issue fines or jail time to theatres caught screening it or those selling pirated versions for personal viewing.(Source: http://www.cbc.ca/story/arts/national/2006/05/18/da-vinci-ch ina.html )

So where are the so-called media freedom and freedom of speech?

Am I wrong if I say that this is the hypocrisy of the West?

Agressive and vocal, not violent.

Yes you are wrong. No one in the West denies your right to protest the cartoons, the West encourages peaceful protest, boycott and non-violent demonstration. What the west objects to and what any civilized culture would object to are the riots and killing associated with the cartoons.

For example: the Author of the Di Vinci Code is not in hiding for fear of his life. The same cannot be said for Rushdie.

Tom Hanks and Ron Howard don't live in fear of being murdered in broad daylight dead like Van Goh.

I can offer you a few dozen other examples if you like but these should illustrate point nicely.

Edited by Abednego
BMZ View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BMZ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2006 at 9:36am

AbRah,

Abed has a good point.

I just read and Abed provided me with the link to Thomas Jefferson's excessive trimming and editing of the New Testament. It was a fascinating read, He reduced the NT from 800 over columns down to relevant 80 only and was never killed! In fact, the US Government Published his abridged NT.

Once the body of Jesus was laid in the tomb and they rolled the stone to close the door, he closed his NT.   He just closed the entire "Resurrection" and went off.  I think I would have done  a better editing than Thomas Jefferson.

Good Night

BMZ

AbRah2006 View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AbRah2006 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2006 at 10:29am

My response:

1) What is the meaning of hypocrisy?

Hypocrisy is the act of pretending to have morals or virtues that one does not truly possess or practice. The word derives from the late Latin hypocrisis and Greek hupokrisis both meaning play-acting or pretence. The word is arguably derived from hypo- meaning under, + krinein meaning to decide/to dispute. A classic example of a hypocritical act is to denounce another for carrying out some action while carrying out the same action oneself.

The term hypocrisy is also commonly used in a way which should be more specifically termed a double standard, bias, or inconsistency. An example would be when one honestly believes that one group of individuals should be held to a different set of morals than another group.

Hypocrisy also refers to the act of criticizing others for behavior which one engages in as well, or in other words, not practicing what you preach. Some people believe that most, if not all people are hypocrites since we constantly criticize what we deem to be bad behavior, even though most people do bad things at some point in their lives.

(2) The Western media and the Western people who are Christians claim that they believe in and practise the media freedom and freedom of speech so they think it is their rights to slander the prophet Muhammad by drawing cartoons and publish them all over the world to degrade the prophet Muhammad. When the Muslims protest or boycott the nations that slander the prophet Muhammad, the Western people claim that the Muslims do not respect the freedom of speech and the media freedom.

It is an irony that  the Christians who claim that they worship and revere the so-called media freedom and freedom of speech become angry and condemn The Da Vinci Code because they think that the movie has offended them so this is the hypocrisy of the West! Please refer to the meaning of hypocrisy above!

If you the Western people really believe in the media freedom and freedom of speech , why do you sue the media if you think that it has offended you? Why don't you keep your mouth shut to respect the media freedom?

I quote copy of the book The Da Vinci Code is displayed at the High Court in London, February 27, 2006. Christians may condemn 'The Da Vinci Code' as historical rubbish but for churches that starred in the film, it is the Holy Grail of Tourism. REUTERS/Toby Melville

I quote: 

Why must the Christians urge the censorship, bans and boycotts and take legal actions  against theatres caught screening the movie if the Christians claim that they believe in the freedom of speech and media freedom?

I quote:NEW YORK (AFP) - Angry US Roman Catholics and conservative Christians declared "showtime" for nationwide protests against new religious blockbuster "The Da Vinci Code," which they say mocks their faith.

American critics, meanwhile, greeted opening night for director Ron Howard's 125-million-dollar movie by adding to the mountain of scorn which greeted its preview this week at the Cannes film festival.

"Never in the history of filmmaking has the memory of Our Lord Jesus Christ and the faith of all Christians been so explicitly targeted, insulted and mocked on such a worldwide scale," said Marc Balestrieri, president of De Fide, a non-profit religious group.

"All Christians are morally obligated to condemn and boycott this film and hold its makers accountable for the lies depicted as historical truth."

"The Da Vinci Code," starring Oscar winner Tom Hanks and French actress Audrey Tautou, was already on general release in Europe and Asia, sparking similar outrage among believers.

Protests were planned for early showings in New York and Los Angeles, and other events were timed to coincide with the movie's release across the country. (Source: Yahoo! Asia News )

So where are the so-called media freedom and freedom of speech that are revered and worshipped by the Western people?

If you the Western people really believe in the media freedom and freedom of speech , why do you sue or condemn the media if you think that it has offended you? Why don't you keep your mouth shut to respect the media freedom if you really believe in the media freedom and freedom of speech?Why do you protest? You protest because you think that the Da Vinci Code has offended you so what happen to the media freedom and the freedom of speech that you revere and worship everyday?

Conclusion: Put you yourselves in Muslim shoes then you will understand why the Muslims protest against the cartoons. The freedom of speech and media freedom are immoral when they are used to slander or degrade anybody!

Edited by AbRah2006
God does not forbid you from showing kindness and dealing justly with those who have not fought you about religion and have not driven you out of your homes. God loves just dealers. (Quran, 60:8)
fredifreeloader View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fredifreeloader Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2006 at 10:48am
abrah - youre right about the west - it is hypocritical.  let me give you a clear example.  2 days ago i was in a bookshop in the city centre.  the "da vinci code" (which i have read, its nothing great, and they say the film, which ive not seen,  is the pits) was on the bookshelves.  so i did a little test, i asked for a copy of the "satanic verses" - the great novel by salman rushdie, which i did not see anywhere on the shelves.  the assistant told me they had it, but they did not put it on the shelves, for fear of offending muslims - they kept it through the back -   thats the west for you, totally hypocritical.  its ok to offend the holy faith of Christ, but not islam.  they say theyre free, but theyre already in the bondage of shariah law.  needless to say, ill be taking the matter further ***************edited by moderator*****************

Edited by amah
for i am not ashamed of the gospel of Christ: for it is the power of God unto salvation to every one that believeth - romans 1: 16
Abednego View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Abednego Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2006 at 11:22am
Originally posted by AbRah2006 AbRah2006 wrote:

My response:

1) What is the meaning of hypocrisy?

Hypocrisy is the act of pretending to have morals or virtues that one does not truly possess or practice. The word derives from the late Latin hypocrisis and Greek hupokrisis both meaning play-acting or pretence. The word is arguably derived from hypo- meaning under, + krinein meaning to decide/to dispute. A classic example of a hypocritical act is to denounce another for carrying out some action while carrying out the same action oneself.

The term hypocrisy is also commonly used in a way which should be more specifically termed a double standard, bias, or inconsistency. An example would be when one honestly believes that one group of individuals should be held to a different set of morals than another group.

Hypocrisy also refers to the act of criticizing others for behavior which one engages in as well, or in other words, not practicing what you preach. Some people believe that most, if not all people are hypocrites since we constantly criticize what we deem to be bad behavior, even though most people do bad things at some point in their lives.

(2) The Western media and the Western people who are Christians claim that they believe in and practise the media freedom and freedom of speech so they think it is their rights to slander the prophet Muhammad by drawing cartoons and publish them all over the world to degrade the prophet Muhammad. When the Muslims protest or boycott the nations that slander the prophet Muhammad, the Western people claim that the Muslims do not respect the freedom of speech and the media freedom.

It is an irony that  the Christians who claim that they worship and revere the so-called media freedom and freedom of speech become angry and condemn The Da Vinci Code because they think that the movie has offended them so this is the hypocrisy of the West! Please refer to the meaning of hypocrisy above!

If you the Western people really believe in the media freedom and freedom of speech , why do you sue the media if you think that it has offended you? Why don't you keep your mouth shut to respect the media freedom?

I quote copy of the book The Da Vinci Code is displayed at the High Court in London, February 27, 2006. Christians may condemn 'The Da Vinci Code' as historical rubbish but for churches that starred in the film, it is the Holy Grail of Tourism. REUTERS/Toby Melville

I quote: 

Why must the Christians urge the censorship, bans and boycotts and take legal actions  against theatres caught screening the movie if the Christians claim that they believe in the freedom of speech and media freedom?

I quote:NEW YORK (AFP) - Angry US Roman Catholics and conservative Christians declared "showtime" for nationwide protests against new religious blockbuster "The Da Vinci Code," which they say mocks their faith.

American critics, meanwhile, greeted opening night for director Ron Howard's 125-million-dollar movie by adding to the mountain of scorn which greeted its preview this week at the Cannes film festival.

"Never in the history of filmmaking has the memory of Our Lord Jesus Christ and the faith of all Christians been so explicitly targeted, insulted and mocked on such a worldwide scale," said Marc Balestrieri, president of De Fide, a non-profit religious group.

"All Christians are morally obligated to condemn and boycott this film and hold its makers accountable for the lies depicted as historical truth."

"The Da Vinci Code," starring Oscar winner Tom Hanks and French actress Audrey Tautou, was already on general release in Europe and Asia, sparking similar outrage among believers.

Protests were planned for early showings in New York and Los Angeles, and other events were timed to coincide with the movie's release across the country. (Source: Yahoo! Asia News )

So where are the so-called media freedom and freedom of speech that are revered and worshipped by the Western people?

If you the Western people really believe in the media freedom and freedom of speech , why do you sue or condemn the media if you think that it has offended you? Why don't you keep your mouth shut to respect the media freedom if you really believe in the media freedom and freedom of speech?

Conclusion: The freedom of speech and media freedom are immoral when they are used to slander or degrade anybody!

AbRah2006,

That rationalzation is quite sophomoric.

Notice your own operative words here:

In the case of Di Vinci the protesters boycott, condemn, protest, sue.

In the case of the cartoons the remedy was threaten murder, destroy private property, publically call for the murder of those involved and precipitate the deaths of dozens by mob violence.

In the case of Van Goh the remedy was a public execution.

Lets take a look at your definition again.

So tell me how you rationalize the double standard you're applying? On the one hand you're perfectly happy with the persecution of Rushdie, murder of Van Goh, and deaths resulting from purile demonstrations. On the other hand you seem experience some angst over peaceful, non-violent and legal methods of protest.

By the way AbRah, what you are doing is called "projection"

from Webster online:

6 a : the act of perceiving a mental object as spatially and sensibly objective; also : something so perceived b : the attribution of one's own ideas, feelings, or attitudes to other people or to objects; especially : the externalization of blame, guilt, or responsibility as a defense against anxiety

AbRah2006 View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AbRah2006 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2006 at 11:25am

[QUOTE=fredifreeloader]abrah - youre right about the west - it is hypocritical.  let me give you a clear example.  2 days ago i was in a bookshop in the city centre.  the "da vinci code" (which i have read, its nothing great, and they say the film, which ive not seen,  is the pits) was on the bookshelves.  so i did a little test, i asked for a copy of the "satanic verses" - the great novel by salman rushdie, which i did not see anywhere on the shelves.  the assistant told me they had it, but they did not put it on the shelves, for fear of offending muslims - they kept it through the back -   thats the west for you, totally hypocritical.  its ok to offend the holy faith of Christ, but not islam.  they say theyre free, but theyre already in the bondage of shariah law.  needless to say, ill be taking the matter further (not that i expect to get far with the idiots in charge of this place)

I quote Fredi's statement:its ok to offend the holy faith of Christ, but not islam

My response: There are so many Christian websites that insult and  slander Islam, Allah, the prophet Muhammad, and Muslims on the internet and you never condemn those Christian websites for insulting and slandering Islam. So who are the hypocrites?

AbRah2006 View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AbRah2006 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2006 at 11:33am

My response to Abednego:

Why do the Christians protest and threaten to take actions against the Da Vinci Code? Why do you protest against the Da Vinci Code?So the Christians have rights to protest against it!

What about the Muslims? Do they have rights to protest against the cartoons and the media too? Have you ever thought why the Muslims protest against the media?

How do you feel if the media slander you worldwide?

Edited by AbRah2006
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 8>
  Share Topic