IslamiCity.org Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Culture & Community > Groups : Men (Brothers)
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Question for muslim brothers  What is Islam What is Islam  Donate Donate
  FAQ FAQ  Quran Search Quran Search  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Question for muslim brothers

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 8>
Author
Groupie
Groupie
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Moona Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Question for muslim brothers
    Posted: 14 May 2006 at 1:10pm
Do you believe it is the husbands duty for the financial support of his wife and children? Or do you believe the wife should contribute financially as well if she can? And if the wife makes more money than the husband? Isnt her income considered to be her money? Thank you for your response.Moona
Moonie
Israfil View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Israfil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2006 at 1:38pm

Salaam,

I've had many discussions with sisters regarding this particular area. In my opinion since I live in the United States I think that we live in a society that both the man and the woman must contribute to the household. Even on a simple economic level in this country both people should work. I also think partially because I believe in both a man and a woman having their own financial status.

I believe that both men and women working can also help teach independence and also interdependence. There are many sisters who believe that a man should work and that it is his Islamic duty as provider. Although I don't disagree I hoever look at this as circumstantial because given the simple life that the early bedouins live in comparison to the life now it's difficult to do so.

As far as income is monies obtained I believe in threee acounts: A man's personal account, a woman's personal account and a Joint account. I believe that if a woman works part of her money should go to household expenses but if possible, she should also save part of her money for herself the same as a man.

Jenni View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jenni Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2006 at 2:04pm
I think the man should contribute and support the family well,  but there are times when its good for a women to work too. When the children are young the father should support the family well enough so that the kids can have thier mother at home to care for them. When the kids get older in my opinion the women should try to do some work because you get lazy and out of touch being at home. At least some part time work that keeps you out in the world. Just my opinion though. I've seen to many overweight frumpy sisters who sit home and eat too much. peace
You cant be a good muslim if you are not decent and have a cold heart. Be a decent and kind person and care for women and children and the elderly.
foody View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote foody Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2006 at 7:06pm

Also to add to the subject that if the woman generates money (even if it is more than her husband) it is 100% hers and she can do as she pleases with. Hehe, it even says so in the quraan, just read the quraan again and again (incase you missed some points) and usually 90% of these questions will not even arise at all.  Women working as well helps improve her character and be a better support and understanding for her husband.  I told my mom and I was only 10 at Saudi Arabia of course (where such trash shows where not allowed at tv) I said to her..that if there is a situation where my future wife wishes to work for what ever reason I would rather stay home and take care of my child then let some stranger take care for them for me instead. I will never let my children be at the hands of stranger...I only pray that a situation will never arise where both parents will have to work...I will sacrifice lots of material goods if it means either one of us staying home and raising the children. After all...what is this work for..if it is not for the children and what is the society composed of? Parents who take care of their children in proper manners..I mean all this crimes in united state and prostitution and in the UK is because of bad family and family breakup structure.

I never really put too much concern in materialistic and money things...

Moona View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Moona Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2006 at 7:59am
[QUOTE=Jenni]I think the man should contribute and support the family well,  but there are times when its good for a women to work too. When the children are young the father should support the family well enough so that the kids can have thier mother at home to care for them. When the kids get older in my opinion the women should try to do some work because you get lazy and out of touch being at home. At least some part time work that keeps you out in the world. Just my opinion though. I've seen to many overweight frumpy sisters who sit home and eat too much. peace[/QUOTE]   My money come's from working for over 25 years,and I get a very nice retirement,so I no longer have to work because I get a substancial income. I know staying home all day is not good,so every other day I hike 5 miles at a local park.It makes me feel strong and healthy. I want to thank everyone for they're response's.                                                                                                        
Moonie
Israfil View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Israfil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2006 at 5:24pm

Salaam,

Foody I'd have to respectfully disagree with you. Just because a woman works doesn't mean that her money is 100% hers. That is unfair. That is like if a man works then most of his money is for his family yet if a woman works all of her money is for her. That is vain and if any woman believes that her income she generates is solely for her is a vain belief. I believe that income generated should be partial and personal, not solely personal. Again I'm speaking from an Americans perspective. In today's age its hard for a man to work and just support his family. I know plenty of Muslim women who work as well as their husbands so its no big deal.

I don't think we are discussing the realistic stanpoint.

amah View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Female
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2006 at 7:56pm
According to Islam, a man is obliged to spend on his family and a woman is not. If she earns, she is the owner of that money. Its her choice whether she wants to spend on her family or not. Of course in times of need she will spend it on family, if husband has no job etc. That's common sense.

Allah is Sufficient as a Walee (Protector) and Allah is Sufficient as a Naseer (Helper).
(Surah An-Nisa, Chapter #4, Verse #45)
Israfil View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Israfil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2006 at 9:43pm

Let me readdress that my comment was based on economic sustainability in the United States. It's also common sense that a man cannot support his family alone by generating an income of $20,000 a year, that is what we call "the working poor." I believe that in Islam it is a man's obligation to support his family, however it is an obligation on both members to plan their expenses. Just because it doesn't say a woman isn't suppose to ue her money in the Qur'an doesn't mean she she use her money on herself. Also, sister if I may clarify that if the man doesn't have a job isn't the only reason a woman may spend her money. Again apart of marriage in my opinion is the joint effort not one-sided. Alas this reaffirms why I am not married to a Muslimah now...

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 8>
  Share Topic