IslamiCity.org Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Culture & Community > Groups : Men (Brothers)
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Question for muslim brothers  What is Islam What is Islam  Donate Donate
  FAQ FAQ  Quran Search Quran Search  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Question for muslim brothers

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 8>
Author
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mishmish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2006 at 4:07pm

Assalamu Alaikum:

Realistic or not, Islamically it is still the husband's responsibility to support his

wife. My husband does not want me to work. This is one way he offers me protection in a country that is not always friendly to Muslim women in hijab. He also sees it as his duty as a man to support me. In fact, I think he would be offended as a man if I told him I wanted to go back to work to pay the bills. We are not rich, but Al HamdilAllah we have everything we need. Masha'Allah. Masha'Allah.

I have a friend with 10 children, and she does not work. Her husband manages to support them all on the salary of a pharmaceutical assistant. They own their own home and her older children are at university. They have food and clothes and everything they need. In fact, only one of my Muslim women friends works outside of the home. No one is starving or homeless yet.

Perhaps it just depends on what you find important.

It is only with the heart that one can see clearly, what is essential is invisible to the eye. (The Little Prince)
herjihad View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote herjihad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2006 at 4:59pm

Bismillah,

Brother Israfil,

Some women do want to work even while the kids are small.  ISA you find what you are looking for.

My kids need me now more than ever, but they also need money.  Life has so many tough choices.  But I think of the women and families that don't even have the choice of working or not because they live in war zones or completely suppressed economies, and I feel that it is not really such a dilema.

My dear friend with eight kids and another on the way has worked for years and is attending school right now.  Her kids didn't suffer from lack of maternal care or love.  I believe that each situation is different, and that we have to figure a lot of things out as we go along.   Allah, SWT, knows best.

Al-Hamdulillah (From a Married Muslimah) La Howla Wa La Quwata Illa BiLLah - There is no Effort or Power except with Allah's Will.
foody View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote foody Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2006 at 8:26pm
There is nothing more pleasurable in life and self satisfying than thinking about others than yourself, and when you know you have done good for that person it is the best gift in the world.
Jenni View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jenni Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2006 at 7:21am
One thing know one can deny is that every baby has the right to be nursed with thier mothers milk(unless she cant do it). This is very difficult if the mother is working full time. That is why a baby needs thier mom at home. Breastfed babies have numerous health benifits and babies fed formula have more health problems. If all countries in the west gave women a year off work paid like they do in the scandinavian countries then all babies would have a better chance, 90% of women on scandinavia breastfeed thier babies, and they are a much healthier group of people.
You cant be a good muslim if you are not decent and have a cold heart. Be a decent and kind person and care for women and children and the elderly.
Israfil View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Israfil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2006 at 8:24am

Sigh*

All I can say is "whatever" perhaps Sisterherjihad and Jenni are the only ones that feel me on this issue. "Realistic or not" I don't have to do anything as a man. All humans have so-called "free will." I have the will to not get married not support a woman and not do any of the above. However, as a Muslim man to not do such things would defy the rules of God and thus I'd be falling away from the Muslim fold. Mishmish did you not say you live in Texas? Did you know in comparison to California housing as far as taxes are considerably cheaper than California? In California we pay property tax. That alone bites us in the butt. Even if I decided to be cheap and live in a apartment I'd be paying close to $1200 per/month for me and my wife. Not mentioning car payments household expenses etc...Come on give me a break ladies!

We also pay a higher mortage. A monthly mortage even for a so-called "cheap house" is around $2,000 per month depending on the value of your house. Since Sister Jenni live sin northern Cali she can attest to this. Let's do math here. Mishmish and I'll use your friend as an example. I'm not sure what tech's make here but I highly doubt that with 10 kids as a pharmacy Tech can support 10 kids in Cali and be ok. If he made my Salary plus 10 kids with a $2,000 mortage/month he would be forced to do overtime to barely make it.

One thing you women don't get about me is I refuse to allow my family to struggle. My mother worked hard all her life without the help of a man. My grandmother before her used to take of "white folks" houses as a house keeper. My great grandmother before her was a cotton picker and house keeper. So I belong to a long list of hard working women. Realistic or not that philosophy was instilled in me. I feel as a man looking for a woman a woman has to at least be career orient and regardless whether she is independent or not all career orient women who wants a family need to be interdependent.

Yes Jenni someone who makes x3 much more than I make than yes, he can make it definitely. Don't get me wrong I'm not saying that when my wife gets pregnant I will say "no you work now!" no I want my woman to be comfortable. But I also want to get to a point in my life where me and my wife are not having kids in a apartment either. I know Muslims who have "10 kids" in a apartment. That is not my goal. I want a house I want pets I want an environment where my kids can be properly raised.

One thing some of you may not realize is Allau alim our situations so I don't think its mandatory of any man to take care of a woman if he knows he will struggle. If you believe that then that is not the Islam I practice. I feel like I'm turning this into a whinning session and I'm not, but clearly stating that it is not always possible to take care of someone if you cannot take care of yourself. Again I'd like those of you to look at your local states in comparison to ours. We as well as New York are the most expensive states in respect to cost of living.

Foody nice noble comment you made but allow me to take the Rosy shades from you........

Edited by Israfil
amah View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Female
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2006 at 11:17am
Every one has their problems..... This life is not easy, isn't it?

Brother Israfil (and everyone else), May Allah give Barakah in your income and ease your troubles. Allah has power over all things and those who put their trust in Allah, He does not disappoint them.

So verily, with the hardship, there is relief
(  سورة الشرح  , Al-Inshirah, Chapter #94, Verse #5)

Allah is Sufficient as a Walee (Protector) and Allah is Sufficient as a Naseer (Helper).
(Surah An-Nisa, Chapter #4, Verse #45)
Jenni View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jenni Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2006 at 1:53pm
My personal feeling is that having a few children and giving them a great chance in life with lots of my time and my husbands as well, is better than having 10 kids. Then the older kids end up parenting the younger ones and you never have time alone with your husband. I think 2 kids is great 3 is the max, but that is just me.. If I had 8 kids none of them would be in activities outside of school and we would have to live in a cheaper area with not great schools to have a big enough place. My husband and I would never get to travel, I mean going somewhere with 8 kids, 8 plane tickets, come on. I got married becuase I love my husband, not to just make babies. We want our time together. I am very happy with my 2 kids and plan on spending time traveling in the near future with them both across europe, Inshalla. How would we do that with 8? And what else would you be able to do as a mother besides an endless sea of cooking, laundry and cleaning. That is not what I signed up for, and neither did my husband. Israfil, I think you will find a woman that will meet your needs. Your a good guy!!
You cant be a good muslim if you are not decent and have a cold heart. Be a decent and kind person and care for women and children and the elderly.
Mishmish View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mishmish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2006 at 2:14pm

Assalamu Alaikum Brother:

We pay cash for everything, to avoid riba. It also keeps us from becoming mired in debt and caught up in a never ending chain of materialism. If we can't afford to pay cash for something, we just don't buy it.

I live in Texas, but I have lived all over, and I know Muslims all over the world. Some places have a very high cost of living, others relatively low. My friend with 10 children lives in Tennessee. Higher cost of living than Texas.

My husband works very hard to make his money halal, they do not even accept credit cards at his shop. We work very hard to spend it in a halal fashion, no credit cards, no riba, Al HamdilAllah. If this means I can't have a brand new car, so what! I have a good car that runs and that is completely paid for. If this means I can't own my own home right now, so what! I have a roof over my head and food and clothing. Al HamdilAllah. We trust in Allah(SWT) and Allah(SWT) has always taken care of us.

I am happy with what Allah(SWT) has given me, we are very blessed. Masha'Allah.

Sister Jenni, it is not just the breast feeding that is important. I look at the children of my friends and family who do work, and then at the children of my friends who stay home, and there is a huge difference in their behavior. Almost all of the young children whose mothers' work are more demanding, they suffer separation anxiety, they are starved for attention, and many of the older children act out..  It does make a difference to the well being of the child to have that accessibility to their mother. There is no substitute for this.

I know there are women who have to work, through no choice of their own. But, if you are married and are planning on having children, why would you want someone else to raise your child? Isn't the most important job of any parent raising their children?

Raising a child properly has nothing to do with whether they are in a house or an apartment. It has everything to do with the values and morals that you instill in them. There are lots of kids in this country raised in middle to upper income families with huge houses who are doing drugs, having sex, commiting crimes, and lots of other very bad things. They have all of the "advantages" of a comfortable material life, but they are lost.

You cannot plan whether you will struggle financially or not. Everything is from Allah(SWT). If you are meant to have money, you will have it. But you can plan on whether you will live as Islamically as possible.

It is only with the heart that one can see clearly, what is essential is invisible to the eye. (The Little Prince)
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 8>
  Share Topic