IslamiCity.org Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > General Discussion
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Halal Music?  What is Islam What is Islam  Donate Donate
  FAQ FAQ  Quran Search Quran Search  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedHalal Music?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Female
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2006 at 11:31am
Originally posted by herjihad herjihad wrote:

Bismillah,

In the world I live in, most Muslims I know listen to the radio, watch tv including videos and have music at parties such as the engagement party and wedding.

Anybody else on this board familiar with real life?

Dear sister,
In the real life I live in, I know many muslims who drink alcohol, abort unwanted pregnancies, have unlawful sexual relations, etc....

Allah is Sufficient as a Walee (Protector) and Allah is Sufficient as a Naseer (Helper).
(Surah An-Nisa, Chapter #4, Verse #45)
herjihad View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2006 at 12:49pm
Originally posted by amah amah wrote:

Bismillah,

In the world I live in, most Muslims I know listen to the radio, watch tv including videos and have music at parties such as the engagement party and wedding.

Anybody else on this board familiar with real life?

Dear sister,
In the real life I live in, I know many muslims who drink alcohol, abort unwanted pregnancies, have unlawful sexual relations, etc....

Bismillah,

I KNOW You didn't just equate listening to music and watching movies to having unlawful sexual realtions, drinking alcohol, and getting abortions.  I KNOW you didnt' because that would be totally unbelievable and outrageous and frankly irresponsible.

Our Ummah is wide and large.  There is room for many differernt kinds of people.  Some people want everyone else to be just like them.  Not me.  I enjoy people's differences.  Sometimes they are challenging, as in this situation, but I enjoy them.  And Allah, our Most Forgiving, Loving, and All-Knowing Lord is our Judge and has the best Judgment.  Thank Allah for that because I wouldn't want someone who equates adultery with music enjoyment to judge me.  How unfair would that be???

Al-Hamdulillah (From a Married Muslimah) La Howla Wa La Quwata Illa BiLLah - There is no Effort or Power except with Allah's Will.
Angela View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2006 at 2:14pm

Did you know that in Mozart's day he was considered scandalous?  Music is a definer of civilization and prevelant in every culture.

This scripture is one of my favorites...

Ecclesiastes 3

A Time for Everything

1 There is a time for everything,
       and a season for every activity under heaven:

2 a time to be born and a time to die,
       a time to plant and a time to uproot,

3 a time to kill and a time to heal,
       a time to tear down and a time to build,

4 a time to weep and a time to laugh,
       a time to mourn and a time to dance,

5 a time to scatter stones and a time to gather them,
       a time to embrace and a time to refrain,

6 a time to search and a time to give up,
       a time to keep and a time to throw away,

7 a time to tear and a time to mend,
       a time to be silent and a time to speak,

8 a time to love and a time to hate,
       a time for war and a time for peace.

9 What does the worker gain from his toil? 10 I have seen the burden God has laid on men. 11 He has made everything beautiful in its time. He has also set eternity in the hearts of men; yet they cannot fathom what God has done from beginning to end. 12 I know that there is nothing better for men than to be happy and do good while they live. 13 That everyone may eat and drink, and find satisfaction in all his toil�this is the gift of God. 14 I know that everything God does will endure forever; nothing can be added to it and nothing taken from it. God does it so that men will revere him.

15 Whatever is has already been,
       and what will be has been before;
       and God will call the past to account. [a]

16 And I saw something else under the sun:
       In the place of judgment�wickedness was there,
       in the place of justice�wickedness was there.

17 I thought in my heart,
       "God will bring to judgment
       both the righteous and the wicked,
       for there will be a time for every activity,
       a time for every deed."

18 I also thought, "As for men, God tests them so that they may see that they are like the animals. 19 Man's fate is like that of the animals; the same fate awaits them both: As one dies, so dies the other. All have the same breath [b] ; man has no advantage over the animal. Everything is meaningless. 20 All go to the same place; all come from dust, and to dust all return. 21 Who knows if the spirit of man rises upward and if the spirit of the animal [c] goes down into the earth?"

22 So I saw that there is nothing better for a man than to enjoy his work, because that is his lot. For who can bring him to see what will happen after him

We are meant to enjoy our lives while we are here.  This doesn't mean throwing ourselves as some teen idol.  But I love to listen to beautiful music.  Many of my favorite albums are instrumental or cultural like Celtic ballads.  I abhor music like rap and hiphop most days.  I think one has many options for clean, fun music that is free of haram references to sex, drugs and crime.  Its personal responsibility to censor your music and entertainment.  My mother would request I borrowed any album I wanted from a friend, she would listen too it first and if she found anything objectionable, I was not allowed to have the CD.  (I was denied several while I was at home.)  Music is important, it played a major role in Soviet subculture to change peoples attitudes towards communism.  It played a major role in speaking out against the Vietnam war and its starting to speak out against the current wars and problems.  Music is a powerful weapon for good for evil.  Its up to us to determine who's weapon has more power.

Jenni View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2006 at 6:22pm
I am more concerned with people beating thier wives and kids, going to prostitutes, doing drugs, and all of the other great evils. If someone listens to some music that is not profane than I don't know what the problem is. And I love classical music, I played the clarinet for 6 years and it helped me immensly in school. Many of my Mulsim friends kids play an instrument in school like piano, violin or flute. It builds a childs I.Q. and confidence and a classical instrument is totally different than playing in a hard rock band. Do we really believe that all other instruments than the two mentioned are Haram? Does that seem logical? Do they do us harm or good? What person has gone astray playing the piano, or the violin? I think the that music meant for dancing with mixed company with sexual content is definitly haram. But Mozart, why? Music like that is like a math formula with sound, nothing more. No words, its not sexy at all. Peace
You cant be a good muslim if you are not decent and have a cold heart. Be a decent and kind person and care for women and children and the elderly.
amah View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Female
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2006 at 12:08am
My dear sisters,

Narrated Abu 'Amir or Abu Malik Al-Ash'ari: that he heard the Prophet saying, "From among my followers there will be some people who will consider illegal sexual intercourse, the wearing of silk, the drinking of alcoholic drinks and the use of
musical instruments, as lawful. And there will be some people who will stay near the side of a mountain and in the evening their shepherd will come to them with their sheep and ask them for something, but they will say to him, 'Return to us tomorrow.' Allah will destroy them during the night and will let the mountain fall on them, and He will transform the rest of them into monkeys and pigs and they will remain so till the Day of Resurrection."  (Book #69, Hadith #494v)

I didn't equate it sister....all sins are not of the same degree.

I repeat the hadith above....Prophet(saw) mentioned illegal sexual intercourse, the wearing of silk, the drinking of alcoholic drinks and the use of musical instruments in the same breath.....

I am mentioning what is prohibited in Islam, on the basis of proof, I am not comparing it with other sins or saying that banning music is the main issue in the world. Or judging anyone...

And who is better in judgement than Allah for a people who have firm Faith.  
(  سورة المائدة  , Al-Maeda, Chapter #5, Verse #50)

I am really surprised that some people totally negate a hadith!! isn't it clear in the hadith?

I was myself a music lover and I myself played musical intruments (very well that too), but i gave it up after i came to know about it. Wherever I go , there is music, I cannot avoid it, there is music everywhere today, toys, phones..etc......Allah knows our intention...

Differences in opinion and lifestyles, culture etc are all acceptable....but if you disobey Allah and His Messenger??? That is ok? If musical instruments were halal, I would be a student of music right now....

If you want peace, read the quran with meaning, it has given me more peace than music.

O you who believe! Obey Allah and obey the Messenger (Muhammad SAW), and those of you (Muslims) who are in authority. (And) if you differ in anything amongst yourselves, refer it to Allah and His Messenger (SAW), if you believe in Allah and in the Last Day. That is better and more suitable for final determination.  
(  سورة النساء  , An-Nisa, Chapter #4, Verse #59)

And whosoever fears allah and keeps his duty to Him, He will make a way for him to get out (from every difficulty).  
(  سورة الطلاق  , At-Talaq, Chapter #65, Verse #2)

So fear allah and keep your duty to Him, O men of understanding who have believed! - allah has indeed sent down to you a Reminder (this Quran).  
(  سورة الطلاق  , At-Talaq, Chapter #65, Verse #10)

"Short is the enjoyment of this world. The Hereafter is (far) better for him who fears Allah, and you shall not be dealt with unjustly even equal to the Fatila (a scalish thread in the long slit of a datestone).  
(  سورة النساء  , An-Nisa, Chapter #4, Verse #77)

And verily, the reward of the Hereafter is better for those who believe and used to fear Allah and keep their duty to Him (by abstaining from all kinds of sins and evil deeds and by performing all kinds of righteous good deeds).  
(  سورة يوسف  , Yusuf, Chapter #12, Verse #57)

And strain not your eyes in longing for the things We have given for enjoyment to various groups of them (polytheists and disbelievers in the Oneness of Allah), the splendour of the life of this world that We may test them thereby. But the provision (good reward in the Hereafter) of your Lord is better and more lasting.  
(  سورة طه  , Taha, Chapter #20, Verse #131)

Allah kows best.
Allah is Sufficient as a Walee (Protector) and Allah is Sufficient as a Naseer (Helper).
herjihad View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2006 at 3:49am

Bismillah,

Dear Sister Angela,

Thank you for quoting one of my favorite Biblical verses.  Very beautiful.  And of course, in my mind it was put to the music of the ... who was that anyway?  Garfunkel?  Beetles?

Originally posted by Jenni Jenni wrote:

I am more concerned with people beating thier wives and kids, going to prostitutes, doing drugs, and all of the other great evils. If someone listens to some music that is not profane than I don't know what the problem is. And I love classical music, I played the clarinet for 6 years and it helped me immensly in school. Many of my Mulsim friends kids play an instrument in school like piano, violin or flute. It builds a childs I.Q. and confidence and a classical instrument is totally different than playing in a hard rock band. Do we really believe that all other instruments than the two mentioned are Haram? Does that seem logical? Do they do us harm or good? What person has gone astray playing the piano, or the violin? I think the that music meant for dancing with mixed company with sexual content is definitly haram. But Mozart, why? Music like that is like a math formula with sound, nothing more. No words, its not sexy at all. Peace

Dear Sister Jenni,

I agree wholeheartedly with your assesment, which makes me all the sadder for Sister Amah when she says this:

I was myself a music lover and I myself played musical intruments (very well that too), but i gave it up after i came to know about it. Wherever I go , there is music, I cannot avoid it, there is music everywhere today, toys, phones..etc......Allah knows our intention...

I am really sad for you that you gave up something so beautiful and worshipful because of the wrong idea that all music is evil.  There is no logic in such a belief.  I followed people like you are doing as well and I understand you completely.  But I thank Allah that I have matured enough to know better.  This is not an indictment of you and your lifestyle.  Many people feel the way you do, as many people feel the way I do.  But we are NOT going to hell for listening to or playing music.  Stop incorrectly quoting Quran to tell us that we are.

When you say this, Sister Amah:I am really surprised that some people totally negate a hadith!! isn't it clear in the hadith?

You are saying that you personally accept all of the hadith that are called sound.  Are you calling people like me who follow mostly the Quran non-Muslims?  This is an old issue which will keep coming up, so why are you so surprised that we disagree?

There are many people who believe it is halal to listen to nice music and play instruments et cetera.  We do not believe we are breaking the Quranic rules that you listed.  You used a hadith and then all Quran which has nothing to do with music to justify that hadith.  I hate it when people do this, and people do it all the time.  There is nothing in the Quran equating shirk with music listening or adultery with music listening.  Allah, SWT, gave us our beautiful brains to use them. 

As Sister Jenni pointed out above, the harm comes when people get nuts over it, like at the concert Sister Fatima originally brought up when people were screaming and jumping up on chairs in hysteria. (Although honestly I have no problem with gentle swaying.)  Don't worry about me at concerts, though.  Don't have the dough or the time and can't stand crowds.

Also, to the people who listen to other music which I know you do, Subhanna Allah!  Allah, SWT is our Judge.  Don't let us get you down.  I knew a sister who had serious trouble praying.  Come to find out that she has severe depression and it was exacerbated because she was upset that she had stopped listening to music all the time.  After encouraging her for a couple of years slowly, she prays all the prayers and has for years.  She needs the music because of the isolation she feels without it.  And it so disoriented her without it that she couldn't say her prayers.  Yeah, it's sad the weaknesses we humans have, but Allah SWT is Most Loving and don't you think her prayers are accepted and her life better because she is able to pray?

Edited by herjihad
Al-Hamdulillah (From a Married Muslimah) La Howla Wa La Quwata Illa BiLLah - There is no Effort or Power except with Allah's Will.
ummziba View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Female
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2006 at 4:53am

Assalamu alaikum,

Very nice post, sister amah. Some good points by all sides.  The thing is, if one chooses not to agree with a good daleel, then so be it.  There is no compulsion, our job as Muslims is only to spread the message.  No one has accused anyone of anything, yet backs seem to be up...

Let us try to make points on a topic without the loaded words.

Peace, sisters........

Sticks and stones may break my bones, but your words...they break my soul ~
amah View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Female
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2006 at 6:18am

But we are NOT going to hell for listening to or playing music.  Stop incorrectly quoting Quran to tell us that we are.

I never said you are going to hell. If you keep thinking that me or anyone else is trying to tell you that, then i am sorry , thats your imagination....(I won't defend myself on this again and again)

This is an old issue which will keep coming up, so why are you so surprised that we disagree?

It just dawned upon me that you "follow mostly the Quran" .  I did not know that...hence I was surprised ( I still am...) 

Are you calling people like me who follow mostly the Quran non-Muslims? 

When did I call you nonmuslim? Why are you saying such things??

You used a hadith and then all Quran which has nothing to do with music to justify that hadith.

I did not use the Quranic verses to justify that particular hadith only, its in general...applies everywhere...

Allah, SWT is our Judge.  

No doubt about that and no matter what we say now, everything will be clear and out in the open on the Day of Judgement. So lets pray we all do the right thing, and if we fall into error, may Allah forgive us.

Wassalaam.

Subhanakallahumma Wa Bihamdika, Nash-hadu Allah Ilaaha Illa Anta, Nastaghfiruka Wa Natubu Ilaik.
(Glory is to You, Oh Allah, and Praise is to You. I bear witness that there is none worthy of worship but You. i seek your forgiveness and repent to You)

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
  Share Topic