IslamiCity.org Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > General Discussion
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - "If you believe in freedom of speech, ...  What is Islam What is Islam  Donate Donate
  FAQ FAQ  Quran Search Quran Search  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

"If you believe in freedom of speech, ...

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Angeldesire Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: "If you believe in freedom of speech, ...
    Posted: 30 April 2006 at 11:41pm

"If you believe in freedom of speech, ...you should believe it for those views you don't like."

Comment!!!!!!!!!!!

Angel*�*.��.���`
"As I live each day may I do my part
to make one difference, to touch one heart,
And through each day may it be my goal
to encourage one mind and inspire one soul."
amah View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Female
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2006 at 1:42am
Assalaamualaikum

My opinion:
We are accountable for our speech. Allah dislikes vain talk. In the name of "freedom of speech", people say whatever they want and hurt whoever they want. Yes we all can have different viewpoints. We should speak against only those things that are opposing Allah and His Messenger. (and that includes speaking against injustice of any kind).

I would like to add some verses and hadith on speech.

Allah says:

They shall not hear therein (in Paradise) any Laghw (dirty, false, evil vain talk), but only Salam (salutations of peace). And they will have therein their sustenance, morning and afternoon. (See (V.40:55)).  
(  سورة مريم  , Maryam, Chapter #19, Verse #62)

"And when they hear AlLaghw (dirty, false, evil vain talk), they withdraw from it and say: "To us our deeds, and to you your deeds. Peace be to you. We seek not the ignorant."  
(  سورة القصص  , Al-Qasas, Chapter #28, Verse #55)

No Laghw (dirty, false, evil vain talk) will they hear therein, (in paradise) nor any sinful speech (like backbiting, etc.).  
(  سورة الواقعة  , Al-Waqia, Chapter #56, Verse #25)

So leave them to plunge in vain talk and play about, until they meet their Day which they are promised.  
(  سورة المعارج  , Al-Maarij, Chapter #70, Verse #42)

"And we used to talk falsehood (all that which Allah hated) with vain talkers .  
(  سورة المدثر  , Al-Muddathir, Chapter #74, Verse #45)

==================================================

Our words and actions are being recorded:
"Kiraman (honourable) Katibeen writing down (your deeds)" ,  
(  سورة الإنفطار  , AL-Infitar, Chapter #82, Verse #11)

There is no human being but has a protector over him (or her) (i.e. angels incharge of each human being guarding him, writing his good and bad deeds, etc.)  
(  سورة الطارق  , At-Tariq, Chapter #86, Verse #4)

==================================================

Prophet(saw) said:

Narrated 'Abdullah: The best talk (speech) is Allah's Book 'Quran), and the best way is the way of Muhammad, and the worst matters are the heresies (those new things which are introduced into the religion); and whatever you have been promised will surely come to pass, and you cannot escape (it).  (Book #92, Hadith #382)

Narrated Abu Musa: Some people asked Allah's Apostle, "Whose Islam is the best? i.e. (Who is a very good Muslim)?" He replied, "One who avoids harming the Muslims with his tongue and hands."  (Book #2, Hadith #10)

Narrated Anas: Allah's Apostle was neither a Fahish (one who had a bad tongue) nor a Sabbaba (one who abuses others) and he used to say while admonishing somebody, "What is wrong with him? May dust be on his forehead!"  (Book #73, Hadith #72)

Narrated 'Abdullah bin 'Amr: The Prophet said, "A Muslim is the one who avoids harming Muslims with his tongue or his hands..."  (Book #76, Hadith #491)

Allah is Sufficient as a Walee (Protector) and Allah is Sufficient as a Naseer (Helper).
(Surah An-Nisa, Chapter #4, Verse #45)
herjihad View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote herjihad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2006 at 6:36am

Bismillah,

Ameen, Sister Amah.

We are also free not to speak, AngelD.  It's called discretion.

Al-Hamdulillah (From a Married Muslimah) La Howla Wa La Quwata Illa BiLLah - There is no Effort or Power except with Allah's Will.
saja91 View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote saja91 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2006 at 7:14pm
if you dont have nothing nice 2 say dont say nothing at all
-ArabianKnight- View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote -ArabianKnight- Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2006 at 8:10pm
or if you dont have anything nice to say.. just wait for the moderators to shut down or edit the thread =) hahaha

Edited by Mishmish
THere Is no god, BUT GOD
and Adam was his First Messenger
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ops154 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2006 at 10:04pm
Originally posted by Angeldesire Angeldesire wrote:

"If you believe in freedom of speech, ...you should believe it for those views you don't like."

Comment!!!!!!!!!!!

So does this mean you agree people should be able to make cartoons of whatever they want?

Get it through your heads that I don't support Bush or the Israeli's! Thank your lucky stars for America is here to stay!!!
salman View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote salman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2006 at 2:00am
Originally posted by ops154 ops154 wrote:

Comment!!!!!!!!!!!

So does this mean you agree people should be able to make cartoons of whatever they want?

NO !

nobody has the right to insult islam !

according to me, freedom of speech ends where religion begins

It is better to be alone than to be in bad company.
Angel View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Angel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2006 at 8:06am
Originally posted by salman salman wrote:

Originally posted by ops154 ops154 wrote:

Comment!!!!!!!!!!!

NO !

nobody has the right to insult islam !

according to me, freedom of speech ends where religion begins

well there you go

anyway, how can you insult islam or any other religion for that matter?

~ Our feet are earthbound, but our hearts and our minds have wings ~
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic