IslamiCity.org Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Culture & Community > Groups : Women (Sisters)
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Does Islam allow Surrogate mothers?  What is Islam What is Islam  Donate Donate
  FAQ FAQ  Quran Search Quran Search  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Does Islam allow Surrogate mothers?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 9101112>
Author
Starter
Starter
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sdurrani9 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 October 2007 at 8:11am
Originally posted by Mishmish Mishmish wrote:

Assalamu Alaikum Sisters:

At first I was thinking that most of the prohibative arguments used against surrogacy: showing your aura, mixing the sperm, could be used against fertility treatments or invitro fertilization, but then I found this Ayat in the Quran:

58:2 If any men among you divorce their wives by Zihar (calling them mothers), they cannot be their mothers: None can be their mothers except those who gave them birth. And in fact they use words (both) iniquitous and false: but truly Allah is one that blots out (sins), and forgives (again and again).

This would indicate that only the woman actually giving birth to the baby could be considered the child's mother, that would be the surrogate. So, even if you used your own egg and your husband's sperm , you would never Islamically be considered the baby's mother.

Insha'Allah this will help.

Salaams. 

It still does  not mean surrogacy is not allowed. In Canadian law, surrogate mother becomes the legal mother but then biological mother adopts the child. Same can be done using above ayah even though that ayah is clearly in a different context.

Plus, natural mother can breastfeed by using lactaing harmones therapeutically and make the child not only mehram but her own radha'ee child/son. She does not have to breast feed the baby to make mehram. I have heard Aisha RA adopted children and had them breastfed by other mehram women that made them mehram to her as well through the radh'a relation.

Now some scholars may come up and say even breastfeeding by harmones is illegal as it is not allowed in Islam (without daleel), but what can we do about such scholars who cannot see beyond their nose. Such scholars considered aeroplanes, Radio, TV, loud speakers, computers and internet all haraam untill very recently and now issuing fatwas on Tv and internet.

I hope muslim scholars catch up with science and technology.

Shazia

sdurrani9 View Drop Down
Starter
Starter
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sdurrani9 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 October 2007 at 9:15am
Originally posted by herjihad herjihad wrote:

Originally posted by amah amah wrote:

Brother Palestine,

I request you to go through the guidelines.

http://www.islamicity.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=4589& ; ; ; ;PN=1

Sister herjihad,

Respecting scholars does not mean worshipping them.

Wassalaam

Bismillah,

Sister Amah,

Did I say that?  I don't think so.

Salaamu Alaykum

I totally agree with Sister herjihad. Scholar worship is one of the important problems in the Muslim world. I understand why she used the word worship because there is no better word that can convey the meaning of ibadah. Basically, it is shirk to allow any human being to make a halaal, haram or the other way around. Scholars have their opinions that you can agree or disagree. Now, in an islamic state, when the opinion is adopted by the Amir through consultations with peoples' representatives (ahlulhal wa'aqd), it is binding for all muslim citizens yet, you still do not have to agree and express your difference of opinion. Allowing anyone no matter how big a scholar to make or break laws is haram as it's only Allah SWT that is a true legislator.

Wassalaam

Shazia

iqit View Drop Down
Starter
Starter

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote iqit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 February 2008 at 12:54pm
is surrogacy allowed between wives (as in between wives of the same man ofcourse)?!
Aminah07 View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aminah07 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 February 2008 at 4:21pm

ASA Sis,

You're from the UK do you ever watch the Islam Channel there is a show called IslamiQA on it. Several of the Imams have had IVF questions over the last few weeks. They all say that it has to be the father and mother(the one having the child) that make the donations for fertalization.

Also, on a side note there are no guarantees with IVF treatments I have a very good friend that tried it 3 times and it never took. My personal opinion is try what you feel you need to that is permissable in Islam but always remember that it's by Allahs(swt) will that a mother can carry life in her womb or not. 

Try calling in or contact your local masjid and ask the Imam there. You could also try an online fatwah service like www.askimam.com

aamna View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aamna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 March 2008 at 10:57pm
hmm.. so egg donation is not permissable either, is it?
FruitBodyWash View Drop Down
Starter
Starter
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FruitBodyWash Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 April 2008 at 8:56pm
I have been reading this forum, and though I haven't reached a conclusion yet, I did want to ask a question.  What brought me to this forum, was because I was looking for my aunt. I love her very much, and she cannot carry her own children.  Many of you have suggested adopting, which I feel is a wonderful option.  However, there is a problem.

My aunt first looked into adoption, then became pregnent herself.  Then, (minus the details) lost that child shortly. On and off she has become pregnant only to lose it time and time again. It is devistating for her. 

She decided to look into adoption again, however, the adoption agencies are now telling her she is too old (she is 38) to be considered for adoption.

She would love to be able to adopt, but is seems as if this option is now closed to her. 

I love her very much, and gave it some thought, but I wanted to look into it before aproching her.  I would be willing to carry a child formed from her and her husband, but am terrified to commit a sinful act.  I know it will be hard for me, and again I still have yet to form an opinion based on what I've read in this forum.

But, if anyone has anything more to say, since for my aunt adoption doesn't seemed to be an option anymore either.  What do you think?
Hayfa View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Female
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hayfa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 April 2008 at 7:03am

Salaams FruitBody Wash,

Welcome to the Forum..

Where do you live, as 38 too old??  does the adoption need to be a baby? And there are tons of agencies..  Has she only been to one?

Just curious? She can also sue on age discrimination.. are you sure it is not gor other reasons and they are just telling her age? do they know she is Muslim?  Is it in the fine print??

Something smells fishy..

Hayfa

When you do things from your soul, you feel a river moving in you, a joy. Rumi
FruitBodyWash View Drop Down
Starter
Starter
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FruitBodyWash Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 April 2008 at 7:25am
Smile Thank you for your reply

My aunt lives in Tennesse, and she is not a Muslim.  I think she is going for infant adoption, but I also remember her talking about a brother and sister who they were considering the first time.

I really don't understand how they can tell her she is too old.  From what I can tell, there are so many orphans, that they shouldn't be so picky to keep parentless children apart from childless parents due to age.

She is a wonderful person, who I feel would make a great mother. I am sorry that I don't know the full situation, or I could give a more detailed reason as to why she was told she is too old. But basically they say they prefer younger couples for adoption.... *shrugs*

I was just asking for me, personally, to know what I could do for her. 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 9101112>
  Share Topic