IslamiCity.org Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Culture & Community > Groups : Women (Sisters)
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Does Islam allow Surrogate mothers?  What is Islam What is Islam  Donate Donate
  FAQ FAQ  Quran Search Quran Search  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Does Islam allow Surrogate mothers?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 9101112>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
peacemaker View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Male
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peacemaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2006 at 2:02am

Assalamu Alaikum sister amah,

I am going bit busy right now. Insha Allah I will answer later.

Peace

Then which of the favours of your Lord will ye deny?
Qur'an 55:13
amah View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Female
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2006 at 1:54am
Jazakallahkhair brother  peacemaker, for explaining this beautifully- the relationship between science and islam..........Can you provide us with more evidence regarding surrogacy to help us know whether it is really haram or halal??
Allah is Sufficient as a Walee (Protector) and Allah is Sufficient as a Naseer (Helper).
(Surah An-Nisa, Chapter #4, Verse #45)
peacemaker View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Male
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peacemaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2006 at 1:47am

Assalamu Alaikum!

Sister Herjihad:

"We were given science as a means to reach heights of knowledge by our All-Knowing Lord.  Let's use our brains."

I want to address this matter, though it is not directly connected to the topic.

I agree with you Sister herjihad that Allah blessed us Science.

I would just like to respectfully add here something as far as science is concerned. Scientific thinking or knowledge is very important in today's world, however, we have to be careful when we apply it to Islam. When we have clear cut evidence from Qur'an or/and Sunnah, Scientific knowledge can further strengthen our faith in Allah. That relationship of Islam and Science is evident and can be seen even at the forum here in Islam and Science Section. However, in the matters when there is absolutely no evidence from Qur'an and Sunnah or the lives of first generation of Muslims ( Sahabas ) or later generations of Scholars of Islam, we can consider Science in order to make Islamic decisions.

That is because taking Science as sole basis in order to deduce Islamic laws can be quite misleading. Why? Because Science changes its face quite often. Even in my own life time, I have seen drastic changes in scientific thinking. In 1973, my science teacher in elementary school taught me that Sun was stationary and planets revolved round the sun, whereas the modern theory believes that Sun is also moving alongwith other bodies in the space that confirms Islamic notion. But, the point is Muslims have believed for the last 1400 years that Sun moves alongwith other bodies in space regardless of scientific instance, and that is what we call faith. And in present times when Science confirms Islamic notion, that strengthens our faith further when we study Science.

When great Scientist Newton was asked to tell about his position in relation to the rest of the world, he said that  what he knew was nothing compared to what he didn't know.

Allah knows best.

I have not directly addressed the topic, but it would hopefully help in some way.

May Allah guide us all.

Peace

Then which of the favours of your Lord will ye deny?
Qur'an 55:13
amah View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Female
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2006 at 1:44am
Dear Abeer23,

I liked your "understanding" and interpretation of the fatwa and of the shaikh. Whatever you thought, is exactly what he meant, Allah knows best. 
Allah is Sufficient as a Walee (Protector) and Allah is Sufficient as a Naseer (Helper).
amah View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Female
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2006 at 1:39am
Originally posted by Mishmish Mishmish wrote:

I am not saying that I agree with surrogacy, I just do not see the legitimacy of this particular reasoning.

So if you do not agree with surrogacy, then why don't you give us your good reasoning sister???????????????? May be your reasoning will be more solid.
Abeer23 View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Abeer23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2006 at 12:52am

As salamu alaikum.  Of course we're allowed to seek medical help when necessary.  I don't think the sheikh ment we have to lay at home and die when we become ill . 

Surrogacy isn't a life-death situation though.  It's a choice.  I can totally understand the logic of this ruling.  Allah ta'la says:

2:223 Your wives are as a tilth unto you; so approach your tilth when or how ye will; but do some good act for your souls beforehand; and fear Allah. And know that ye are to meet Him (in the Hereafter), and give (these) good tidings to those who believe.

He doesn't say "any and all women" or "your wives and their sisters."   The word tilth here is symbolic.   I can see the relationship between "womb" and "tilth."   A womans womb can only be used by her husband.  (used by her husband sounds kind of gross, but i don't know how else to put it)

A man is not allowed to marry his wife's sister, so how can his sperm (or the product of it actually) go into her by halal?

A woman has to be married to the father of the baby she carries.  Men are not even allowed to divoce their wives if they're pregnant.  So how can she carry the child of a man she's never married and who marriage to him is haram.  

Having sex outside of marriage is zina, so what is it when a woman allows a man's sperm to enter her and he's not her husband?

It just makes sense to me.

P.S

The part about "third party" could have been worded better.  He didn't mean there's no third party in marriage he meant no third party in having children.

Wallahu A'lam

Mishmish View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mishmish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2006 at 4:22pm

Assalamu Alaikum:

The points put forth by the Sheikh and the daleel he gives are not necessarily pertinent to this topic.

Does this Sheikh believe that we should never have a pap smear or examination during pregnancy? What if we have genital cancer, or men have prostate or genital cancer? Are we only allowed to go to a doctor that is Mahrem? How would we even know if we had cancer if we are never allowed to expose our aura to anyone, including medical professionals?

If the egg is from the mother and implanted with the sperm of the father, how would that bring the baby's lineage into question? Even if there were any doubt, DNA tests could take care of that.

And it would not be the actual semen that would be put into her womb, but a fertilized egg, which is a different organism.

Even his distaste for "renting the womb" can be answered if the surrogate is your sister, family member or friend willing to do this for no money, just out of love. This would also sort of insure that she would take good prenatal care of the baby.

And saying there should be no third party in a marriage could almost be construed as then saying there should be no polygeny in Islam because there is a third, fourth, or maybe even fifth person in the marriage.

I am not saying that I agree with surrogacy, I just do not see the legitimacy of this particular reasoning.

Edited by Mishmish
It is only with the heart that one can see clearly, what is essential is invisible to the eye. (The Little Prince)
liyala View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote liyala Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2006 at 3:41pm

Assalaam alaikum Sister Sarah,

how do you understand it? what did you decide?

liyal.a
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 9101112>
  Share Topic