IslamiCity.org Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Culture & Community > Groups : Men (Brothers)
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - My maleness is down the drain...  What is Islam What is Islam  Donate Donate
  FAQ FAQ  Quran Search Quran Search  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

My maleness is down the drain...

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 891011>
Author
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cassandra Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 June 2006 at 5:29am
I have always believed that the best way to extricate oneself from misogynistic, circular, pointless, and time wasting arguments is to look the other person squarely in the eye and say:  "Certainly, you are entitled to your wrong opinion", before turning on ones 3" heels, and calmly walking away. Stops 'em dead in their tracks!
Jenni View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jenni Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 June 2006 at 7:46am

I think Megatron has been here before by another name, left come back again, left again and now is back. We figured out he is a young unmarried guy, probably lonely too. I will say only this to him, in every western country in the world where women are given equal access to education, they are now outscoring boys in all subjects including medicine, law, pharmacy and business. The only area where men are still ahead in engineering , physics and math. If men are so much more brilliant why are more women getting into law school, medical school and pharmacy school? Intelligence is not gender based, I can prove that without a doubt. Any boy or girl could or could not be  a genius. But now that women have been given the chance, they are studying harder, working harder and kicking but!!! If that scares you sorry, but many men are not afraid of having an intelligent educated wife that may be even smarter than they are. I guess you can marry an illiterate woman that can only cook, clean and say YES SIR!!!!

You cant be a good muslim if you are not decent and have a cold heart. Be a decent and kind person and care for women and children and the elderly.
Mishmish View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mishmish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 June 2006 at 1:44pm

Stanford Report, February 9, 2005
No evidence of innate gender differences in math and science, scholars assert

BY THERESA JOHNSTON

Walk into any American high school classroom, and you're likely to hear a familiar refrain: Boys are innately better at math and science, while girls tend to excel in subjects that require verbal skills. But is there any solid evidence to support that thinking?

Not according to four Stanford scholars who took part Friday in a campus forum on the role of gender in math, science and engineering education. The subject made headlines in January after Harvard President Lawrence H. Summers mused that innate differences between men and women might be one reason fewer women succeed in science and math careers.

In fact, differences in performance between males and females have shrunk to nearly insignificant levels on most standardized tests, said Jo Boaler, an associate professor of mathematics education at the School of Education. "There is a huge belief that boys are better at math which is vastly out of proportion to any data that we have," Boaler told the audience of about 100, mostly women. "And yet people believe it. You go into schools and the children will tell you that."

Citing data from England, Boaler noted that in the 1970s boys did pass national high school exams at higher rates and tended to achieve the highest grades. But thanks to improvements in English textbooks and teaching approaches, girls there were outperforming boys on every level and in every subject area by the year 2000.

Girls have made similar gains on most standardized tests in the United States, she said. "Are there differences in achievement in math and science for high school girls? I would say no there aren't. And where they are, they vary across cultures, so clearly they're not genetic," Boaler said. When teaching approaches are changed, she added, "you get much higher rates of achievement and participation among girls and women."

One notable exception to the general increase in girls' achievement is their performance on the math portion of the SAT. (Boys' scores averaged 537 on the math portion in 2004, compared with 501 for girls.) Boaler suggested that the test's timed, multiple-choice format�very different from European tests�might be partly to blame for the gender gap. She also pointed to persistent cultural pressures that deter girls from enrolling in tough high school math courses.

"When boys are more successful than girls in math and science, everybody says it's because boys are genetically suited to math and science. But when girls are doing better, people say it's because they work hard," she said to laughter.

Such comments are damaging for a number of reasons, Boaler continued. If people think the differences between boys and girls are innate, they assume nothing can be done to improve the situation. Negative stereotyping also can have a direct effect on performance, she said. Studies have shown that if people are told beforehand that members of their ethnic group or gender don't do well on a particular test, they tend to choke. But if they go into a test without the so-called "stereotype threat," they do better.

Ruth O'Hara, assistant professor of psychiatry and behavioral sciences, said her area of research doesn't support the notion of innate male math superiority either. While it is true that male brains are 6 to 8 percent larger than those of females, she said, "that may have no more impact on cognitive processing than differences in height."

Several years ago, she noted, brain-imaging studies suggested that there might be significant differences in the way men and women process information. Women were thought to have greater neural density in the language centers of their brains, for example, while men seemed to have an advantage in visuospatial ability�the ability to rotate objects in their heads.

However, O'Hara said, most of those widely publicized studies haven't been replicated with larger data samples. Nor have different patterns of brain activation shown anything to do with performance. "The bottom line," she said, "is we are still very much in the state of mixed findings when it comes to gender and brain processing," and those findings "really have given us no definite answers."

Why else might there be a dearth of female scientists and engineers in higher education? Sheri Sheppard, an associate professor of mechanical engineering, pointed to a 1997 study that looked at why undergraduates drop out of engineering majors. It wasn't a matter of poor grades�males and females in the study had similar grade-point averages. Instead, the top reason women switched majors was because they simply lost interest. The second most cited factor was curriculum overload, followed by poor teaching.

Londa Schiebinger, the Barbara D. Finberg Director of the Institute for Research on Women and Gender and professor of the history of science, suggested that marital patterns also may discourage women from staying the course in science and engineering careers.

Schiebinger, an international expert on gender and science, noted that high-achieving women have a tendency to marry high-achieving men and this holds consequences for their own geographic mobility and advancement.

For example, 43 percent of married female physicists are married to other physicists, whereas only 6 percent of male physicists have physicist spouses. "Where there are two professionals in a family," she said, "it's hard for each to pursue opportunities for advancement when they come by."

The forum was co-hosted by the Institute for Research on Women and Gender and the Faculty Women's Forum. A related conference�on ways gender analysis can contribute to research in science and engineering�is scheduled for April 15-16 on campus.

It is only with the heart that one can see clearly, what is essential is invisible to the eye. (The Little Prince)
Megatron View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Megatron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 June 2006 at 11:37pm
With respect to standardized tests, lets look at the facts.

It's a well known fact that females tend to do more poorly in the SATs.  The article which Mishmish posted openly stated that men scored higher on the math portion than women.  If you do your research on the subject, you will find that because of this difference, the math section was dummed down so women could do better.  Despite this dumming down women still flounder on the math portion.

Lets look at other standardized tests for medical, pharmacy, law and business school:

MCAT
"The men had higher MCAT scores than the women in all age groups"
http://www.academicmedicine.org/pt/re/acmed/abstract.0000188 8-199503000-00016.htm;jsessionid=GchW2yCGhsTmQR0DnQ8B1QlXyKG Z9MP8l01gYQQy1XjGvy0z9Ld9!-1243080020!-949856145!8091!-1

LSAT
"Male test takers have consistently scored slightly higher than female test takers."
http://www.lsacnet.org/Research/LSAT-Performance-with-Region al-Gender-and-Racial-Ethnic-Breakdowns-1997%E2%80%931998-Thr ough-2003%E2%80%932004-Testing-Years.htm

PCAT
"For example, the average PCAT composite for men was 74.2 and the composite percentile for women was 66.3"
http://www.findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_qa3833/is_200110/a i_n8962273/pg_8

GMAT
"Women score 38 points lower on the GMAT- - a gap that has grown by 28 points since 1982"
http://www.fairtest.org/facts/GMAT%20Fact.html

I could go on and on, but I think you get the picture.

As for Jenni's claim that there are more women in law, medicine and pharmacy.   That is because most of these professional schools have a female quota to fill.  Speaking from my personal experience on the medical school admission committee, we were required to have a 50-50 split on the male-female ratio.  It was a point of contention because many male students who had higher MCAT and GPAs had their spots filled by females because of this quota.  My friend who is a pharmacist said that the same policy is in place for pharmacy but is not enacted because most of the applicants are female.  For law school and business school however, the 50/50 ratio is also strictly applied.

In sum, most data show that women aren't "kicking butt" but infact are getting their butts kicked. 

Edited by Megatron
Mishmish View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mishmish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 June 2006 at 2:27am
 "But thanks to improvements in English textbooks and teaching approaches, girls there were outperforming boys on every level and in every subject area by the year 2000."
It is only with the heart that one can see clearly, what is essential is invisible to the eye. (The Little Prince)
Knowledge01 View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Knowledge01 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 June 2006 at 4:06pm
Originally posted by foody foody wrote:

I am a 28 year old confused man. My father died when I was a little baby so I never had a male role model at all, I was raised by my mother and grandmother and I question my role as a parent and as a man. I came to the western world and what ever male self worth has been ultimately destroyed, now that I know I am nothing more than a sperm donor, why do we need men? That is the question I keep asking myself, it is always on my mind, sleeping, praying, why do we need sons, they are burden not joy, and science are able to make it that two women together could have daugthers without the need of a man. So..why are we working hard saving the men, the males and why not we just eliminate them and keep the human race as females? That is the question the triggers on mind, can you help me? Are men nothing more than sperm donors? Do we need them?

Yours truly, a very confused muslim brother. (Sometimes I wished I was not a man, that is how I am confused.)

As Salam Alaikum akhy,

The best role model for you, me, every man, and every woman is the Prophet Muhammad (sallAllahu alaihi wa salam).  Please refer to Hadith and Qur'an if you are confused about your part as a human, man, or Muslim.

Abeer23 View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Abeer23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 June 2006 at 1:55am

Originally posted by Cassandra Cassandra wrote:

I have always believed that the best way to extricate oneself from misogynistic, circular, pointless, and time wasting arguments is to look the other person squarely in the eye and say:  "Certainly, you are entitled to your wrong opinion", before turning on ones 3" heels, and calmly walking away. Stops 'em dead in their tracks!

LOL

Megatron View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Megatron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 June 2006 at 10:18pm
Yeah I certainly got stopped dead in my tracks!!! Woe is me!! Shall I ever recover!!! Oh I can't breathe...ah ah!!! Ah!!! I'm dying.......
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 891011>
  Share Topic