IslamiCity.org Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > General Discussion
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Can you explain the Kufr in America?  What is Islam What is Islam  Donate Donate
  FAQ FAQ  Quran Search Quran Search  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Can you explain the Kufr in America?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Senior  Member
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Israfil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Can you explain the Kufr in America?
    Posted: 07 April 2005 at 6:56pm
I have a challenge to many of you (including you brother
Rehmat since you are so animated in some of your post)
regarding America. Many of you have staunchly engaged in
discussing how bad America is can anyone Muslim, Non-
Muslim see a rightous country in whose politics/spirituality
reflects a just and Godly system? though i highly doubt none of
you can find one I am really interested in some of your
answers. If you find such a country please state why you find
America in such a negative light spiritually and then state which
country is rightous in nature and in its system of administrating
justice.
ummziba View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Female
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ummziba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 April 2005 at 5:12am

This is a very interesting topic.  I'm posting an article that I think is relevent to the topic, that addresses how some Muslims are losing their deen by trying to fit in with western society.

Western Muslims Are Dying to Fit In

by Dr. Mohamed Elmasry - March 17, 2005

I am very worried about the future of my Muslim brothers and sisters in Western countries.

Why do I feel this way?

It is because I see an increasing and alarming pattern in news reports that point to a very dangerous phenomenon -- the crisis of a people who are literally dying to "fit in." The inevitable end result of such behavior is usually a loss of identity, self-respect and -- you guessed it -- losing the respect of others. Worse still, those who are dying to fit in will remain marginalized.

We are all too familiar with the plight of youth who are dying to fit in at their schools. Those who are openly rejected by various "in" groups because of skin color, race, physical features, size, religion, gender, drug/alcohol/sexual abstinence, or even high academic achievement, pay an even higher price when they try to fit in.

The situation of Western Muslim minorities is not so different from that of ostracized students dying to fit in with their prevailing peer culture. For example, an American Muslim sister announces that tomorrow she will lead congregational Friday prayers before an audience of TV cameras and reporters.

But is prayer leading -- admittedly an exception to 1400 years of Islamic tradition -- really the highest priority for an American Muslim sister? Since Islam does not have a hierarchical Church, mandated to approve or disapprove such a change in practice, every Muslim can do what he / she thinks is right.

So why the wide publicity? Is it because the sister and her supporters are dying to fit in with Western ideas of "progress," ideas which assume that her not taking a prayer-leading role would somehow be discriminatory?

Growing instances of Muslims dying to fit in, and losing so much in the effort, are deeply connected to ways in which North American Muslims have been steadily losing their civil liberties since 9/11.

In fact, Muslims are replacing Blacks as the ethno-cultural group most targeted by racial profiling through police and other civil authorities; and sadly, they are replacing Jews as the group most singled out by hate- crime perpetrators. In today's sad reality, not a single place of worship in Canada or the U.S is spied on more than mosques.

And so, as my people are losing their basic rights to worship in peace and safety at mosques across America, one of my sisters in the faith feels she must promote her desire to lead prayers in front of the cameras. It is sad for her, and sad for us.

In another example, a Canada Muslim Liberal senator has called for the legalization of prostitution. Why, brother, is this such an important issue for you? What about child poverty, homelessness, security certificate detentions, the injustices of our anti- terrorism law, etc. etc.? Are all these issues less important?

Recently, the Canadian branch of an American Islamic organization sent condolences to families of the four RCMP officers murdered by a deranged Alberta gunman. It would seem logical and sensitive to do this: after all, Canadian police officers are our sons and daughters too, as well as our neighbors and friends. We Canadian Muslims are not foreign to them.

But was there something less benign about an American-based Canadian Muslim group sending out condolences on this sad occasion? Was it also a desperate public relations move, trying to show that we Muslims are not terrorists, or terrorist sympathizers, and that we care about the welfare of this country's law-enforcement professionals? This should go without saying, brothers and sisters; to overstate such concerns is another submission to the syndrome of dying to fit in.

Now before you jump to the conclusion that I have cast doubt on an expression of genuine sympathy, this same American Muslim NGO has never called on Washington to bring American troops home from Iraq. Is it also dying to fit in?

And I wonder why not a single American Muslim organization -- including the one I've just referred to -- ever speaks out to assert that it is against Islamic values to leave millions of Americans without adequate health care, or that the gap between rich and poor continues to widen, or that the U.S. carries a higher public debt than any other nation on this planet. And I keep wondering; is this the cost we are really paying for dying to fit in?.

During the recent public debate in Ontario on whether to use Islamic (Sharia) law in family arbitration cases, a number of Canadian Muslims expressed shame over the word Sharia, others defended the usage of the word but felt it had significant shortcomings, and others rejected it totally. Are these people also caught up in the phenomenon of dying to fit in and thereby losing some basic principles of faith?

In another unsettling development, some Muslim women in Canada recently organized a beauty pageant. To justify her participation, one of the young participants said she wants to show "we�re not terrorists, we don�t bomb people." What else is she showing about wanting so badly to fit in?

Last week, Spanish Muslim leaders issued a fatwa (religious ruling) declaring Osama bin Laden an infidel. Hello?? Almost full four years after 9/11? This all-but-redundant fatwa says much more about their desire for social approval that it could ever say, at this late date, about condemning extremism!

Yes, brothers and sisters, I�d like to fit in too. But how?

The sensitivity of North American Muslims to all forms of discrimination has seen a manifold increase since 9/11, especially among our youth. Simply put, the ideal of a just society has completely vanished from their consciousness.

Having to feel and act as a "foreign minority" greatly reduces the effectiveness of Canadian Muslims in addressing the key social and political issues of this country. Above all, it seriously hinders both social and political integration. It is only when the religious self- identification of a minority is based on positive individual and collective values that any minority can survive within a dominant culture, especially that of the Western world.

Instead of dying to fit in, Canadian Muslims can contribute tremendously to our multicultural society by speaking out against discrimination and deprivation wherever they occur -- among our First Nations people, refugees, the poor, the needy, children, the sick and the elderly.

In fact, Canadian Muslims who feel "foreign" because of their religion are significantly less active in the social and political life of this country and feel less politically effective than those who do not feel socially and psychologically subordinate.

The source of political effectiveness for Muslims living in Western liberal democracies is not to act foreign, nor does it lie in dying to fit in. Being whole people, being who we are without shame, intimidation, or inferiority, is the only positive way out of the mental ghetto created from our misplaced attitudes of religion-based subordination.

Let us reject dying to fit in ... and instead live to contribute.

(Dr. Mohamed Elmasry, a professor of computer engineering at the University of Waterloo, is national president of the Canadian Islamic Congress. He can be reached at
[email protected])

I don't believe that there is any such thing as a righteous country in the world today.  Some believe living in non-Muslim countries can be a bad thing for Muslims.  But perhaps living anywhere should be a good way for us to show by our good example that Islam is a perfect way of life.

Of course, the problem is imperfect humans!

Peace, ummziba.

Sticks and stones may break my bones, but your words...they break my soul ~
Rehmat View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rehmat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 April 2005 at 6:01am

Originally posted by Israfil Israfil wrote:

I have a challenge to many of you (including you brother Rehmat since you are so animated in some of your post)
regarding America.

I have got many similar challenges before, which ended up by 'one brain' with dozen IDs - posting personal abuse against me. The 'PM' was the first sign of 'frustration' to see me on this forum too!

However, to answer your question - Yes there is one country among the odd 57 Muslim nation-states, which could be called '80%' Islamic state and has several governmental and social function which are far greater beneficial to humanity than one can find in the US (or Israel!!!). For example, democracy, drug-control, women's rights, prostitution, murders (US: 11,734 in 2002 Vs Iran: 87), education, government transparancy, welfare, foreign policy based on morality (non-recognition of Israel)...so on and on.

Now could you dig some good things in the US or Israel's 'governmental culture'?

Know your enemy!
No time to waste. Act now!
Tomorrow it will be too late
What You Don�t Know Can Kill You

kim! View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kim! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 April 2005 at 11:32pm

Originally posted by Israfil Israfil wrote:

I have a challenge to many of you (including you brother
Rehmat since you are so animated in some of your post)
regarding America. Many of you have staunchly engaged in
discussing how bad America is can anyone Muslim, Non-
Muslim see a rightous country in whose politics/spirituality
reflects a just and Godly system? though i highly doubt none of
you can find one I am really interested in some of your
answers. If you find such a country please state why you find
America in such a negative light spiritually and then state which
country is rightous in nature and in its system of administrating
justice.

Tibet?

Especially a Tibet free from China.

Kim...

ps Did I understand the question correctly? If not, let me know.

Edited by kim!
Colin View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Colin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 April 2005 at 12:58am

Australia?

Especially an Australia free from Australians.

Colin View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Colin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 April 2005 at 1:04am

Rehmat wrote:

Quote murders (US: 11,734 in 2002 Vs Iran: 87)

Aren't most of the murders in Iran done by the state?

ZamanH View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ZamanH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 April 2005 at 9:06pm
Its not the people in the ME alone, who hate the U.S; Pakistanis hate it too, neither do the Venenzuelans don't dislike your country; and you should be convinced Indians don't love it and so do the Filipinos and the Koreans. Considering your claim that the govt. of your country is not the worst of all, can you also care to explain, why is it so much universally hated unlike, other democratic or undemocratic govts.??
An enemy of an enemy is a fickle friend.
There will be more women in hell than men.
..for persecution is worse than the slaughter of the enemy..(Quran 2:191)
Heaven lies under mother's feet
jalillah View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jalillah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 April 2005 at 9:30pm
yes under american's law... they can change any law as they see fit regardless of consideration to other people own's freedom but america can represent their country in a matter of liberty so america holds that view of themselves but does america knows what they are representing? as to my vivid knowledge about humans wright should not be abused because some individual thinks they can...if I care about so much about the lives of others I would firstly practice what I preach in spite of the  the world like your country represent... then why do you as individual people would or could not say to yourself enough is enough we will fight for peace not in the matter that would cost llives....like in the verse of the quran says for muslim to practise is as follow..when you see harm been done to others..change them with your hand,or tounge if you cannot do that then at least dont accept them in your heart and that is the least of a believer.. 
May Allah Bless those who seek the truth......Allah Stands Alone in truth..
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic