IslamiCity.org Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Religion - Islam > Ask Dr. Aslam > Family Matter
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Parents want to divorce  What is Islam What is Islam  Donate Donate
  FAQ FAQ  Quran Search Quran Search  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Parents want to divorce

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Starter.
Starter.

Islam
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mira21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Parents want to divorce
    Posted: 20 December 2021 at 1:02pm
Assalam aleikum,

I am 26 years old and live with my familiy in Germany. I am finishing my Master and today had a halftime job offer as teacher which I am going to accept.

My parents are fighting and my mum wants a divorce. The problem is, my father doesn't work, my mother does. He is a stay at home dad. So today he came to me and told me, that as I am working, him and I can move out and rent an apartment and my mum can live with my other 3 brothers in our current apartment. He said the same thing to my younger brother (22) who is already working but and has already everything planned to go in February for a vacation. 

I don't want to move in with him oder my mum. If I could and if it weren't for my youngest brother I would move out and let them fight their own fight. But they aren't fighting fair. Both are trying to get us on their own side and I am not strong enough for this whole thing. If I told them I want to move out, I know what my dad would do. 

What are the islamic rules concerning this topic? I would give my dad the money to move out but I know that he will never speak to me again because he will say I wasn't a good daughter to him and that I am just as bad as my mum. If I move out with him, my mum will say the same thing to me. 

I don't want to get involve but they don't understand. I am so tired of everything. Because of them I am always sitting in my room. Trying to minimize the contact to them and at the same time be a good daughter. 
I really need help, because my dad always says read the quran to prove that he is the one who is in the right. And my mum starts to cry which I can't handle.

Thank you in advance and excuse my bad English.
Dr. Aslam View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Male Islam
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dr. Aslam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 January 2022 at 3:44pm
Wa alaikum,
Sorry to hear about the mess you are going through.
1. Your parents have to resolve their differences. You or your brothers did not create them and you are not responsible for them.
2. You have your own life. Focus on your life. You should tell both of them that you are not a party to either, and they have to resolve their differences.
3. Tell them you love both of them, and you will fulfil your responsibilities towards them by being respectful to both of them.
4. If that means you and your brothers have to move out, do that.
5. You are an adult and should start taking responsibility of your actions.
May Allah protect you and your family.
Aslam Abdullah
Best Regards,
Aslam Abdullah
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic