IslamiCity.org Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Introduction: Who am I?
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - locating a mosque  What is Islam What is Islam  Donate Donate
  FAQ FAQ  Quran Search Quran Search  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

locating a mosque

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
New2Islam View Drop Down
Starter
Starter
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote New2Islam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: locating a mosque
    Posted: 25 April 2006 at 4:52pm

ummziba
Thanks for the advice. I will do that. And I am learning quick how important it will be to have a Muslim friend here in the west. Danty had some good news for me. I am hopeful that I will be able to contact this sister-in-law.  

Mishmish, I have good feelings about the "welcoming" part of visiting the Mosque. So far my contacts with the people of Islam have been nothing less than friendly and informative. But I am concerned about offending some one. That is why I am in search of a female Muslim friend to help me along. I have every intention of respecting Islam and its people and the culture. I am looking forward to moving ahead in my journey. I have been reading/researching for a while now and am ready to take another step forward. The more I read the Quran and about Islam the more I see the truth and the better I feel about my decision to convert.  And like I said above, the people have been extraordinarily helpful. Thanks again for your support. It is very much appreciated.

Peace

Mishmish View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mishmish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 April 2006 at 9:09am

Assalamu Alaikum:

The first time I went to a Mosque I was welcomed with open arms, Al HamdilAllah. I would wear a scarf over my hair out of respect.

If you are worried, perhaps you could call ahead and ask if a Sister could meet you and guide you so you won't feel lost or too alone.

It is only with the heart that one can see clearly, what is essential is invisible to the eye. (The Little Prince)
ummziba View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Female
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ummziba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 April 2006 at 5:54am

Assalamu alaikum,

Don't post your e-mail on the forum, use the PM button to notify Danty in private and then you can exchange e-mails without worrying about problems.

I hope you are able to contact some other Muslim women to be friends with, share and support one another, this is very important for Muslim women in the west.

Peace, ummziba.

Sticks and stones may break my bones, but your words...they break my soul ~
New2Islam View Drop Down
Starter
Starter
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote New2Islam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 April 2006 at 5:33pm

Thank you ALL for your kind welcome and advice.

peacemaker: thank you for the link. I have in fact been on that site and have driven by several of the mosques listed. Perhaps I should have been  more specific in my post. Two of the mosques were closed for renovation. another was in a really bad  area so I didnt stop. Another I stopped but it was being painted and I was asked to come back on Friday. I have not had much luck.  I will, however, keep searching. I am also concerned about visiting a mosque during Friday prayer time. I am as white and American as they come  , if I can be so bold in saying so. What I am trying to say is that I am not sure how I would be welcomed, for a lack of better word. And I have many questions related to that, ie. do I need to be accompanied by a male? Do I need to cover my hair? etc....Perhaps I am  making more of this than needs to be. I am not sure, but I want to be as respectful and courteous to Islam and its customs as I can. I dont wish to inadvertently offend any one. Thank you again for the link. This site has been very helpful in answering many of my theological questions.

Danty: I would LOVE to speak to your sister-in-law. I am within an hour of her. I totally understand if she is apprehensive about giving out her number. I would be happy to converse with her via email if she is open to that. Please let me know. Is it appropriate to post an email address in this forum?

Thanks again for all your time and advice. I much appreciate it.

salman View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote salman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 April 2006 at 11:57pm

Originally posted by New2Islam New2Islam wrote:

I am new to Islam. I have been researching this religion for a while now and am considering converting. I still have many many questions though.  I am particularly interested in visiting an Islamic Centre or Mosque in my area but have been apprehensive. I live in the Southern California area and would appreciate any guidance or advice. Thank you in advance for your time and hopefully encouragement in my journey to Islam.

why don't you get a map of your locality. that might be helpful to you. also you may download google earth in your PC for further assistance.

It is better to be alone than to be in bad company.
Danty View Drop Down
Female
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Danty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 April 2006 at 8:00pm
Dear New2Islam,

My sister in law lives in Irvine, CA. If you want I can ask her for some advice for you. (That is if you live in that part of CA) I wish I could just give you her number. She is a sweet person who is not only my sis. but my friend. May God help you. Sincerly.
Prophet Muhammad (PBUH) said "Be kind, for whenever kindness becomes part of something, it beautifies it.Whenever it is taken from something, it leaves it tarnished." (IMAM BUKHARI)
peacemaker View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Male
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peacemaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 April 2006 at 3:27pm
Then which of the favours of your Lord will ye deny?
Qur'an 55:13
New2Islam View Drop Down
Starter
Starter
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote New2Islam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 April 2006 at 11:29am
I am new to Islam. I have been researching this religion for a while now and am considering converting. I still have many many questions though.  I am particularly interested in visiting an Islamic Centre or Mosque in my area but have been apprehensive. I live in the Southern California area and would appreciate any guidance or advice. Thank you in advance for your time and hopefully encouragement in my journey to Islam.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic