IslamiCity.org Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Religion - Islam > Interfaith Dialogue
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Jesus is God (or not)  What is Islam What is Islam  Donate Donate
  FAQ FAQ  Quran Search Quran Search  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedJesus is God (or not)

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 153>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
Andalus View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Jesus is God (or not)
    Posted: 08 May 2010 at 7:45pm
Originally posted by Angel Angel wrote:

Andalus, NO, PLEASE!!!

It just means that I have to make another thread when I get back here, that's not fair because EVERYTHING is here, all my hard work! I don't want to repeat and copy things in another thread! Cry I do plan to get back here, its just not at this moment. I even got replies to some posts here that i haven't put forth yet.

Hi Angel! Please do not make this hard on me!!! Confused Look, I feel for your position but this is really getting hard into violation of rule 10! Some of these threads are going round and around and I believe they are limiting growth. Everyone, including you, are welcome to start new threads concerning topics that you felt were not covered fully in these threads. I am just trying to stiimulate more discussion, and not hinder it. As I said,I invite people to open new threads.

Hmmmm. You have replies u have not posted......thats a tuff one and I feel for you. Really. Would it help you to know that I have had the same heartbreak? Replies I have never posted...sad but true. So I really do feel for you and understand. But what more can you say that has not been said yet? Could you just open up a related thread? You have to admit that the forum needs to be cleaned up a bit. I am trying to spend more time here than I have in the past. Some of the participants are having to wait way too long to see their contibutions approved.
A feeling of discouragement when you slip up is a sure sign that you put your faith in deeds. -Ibn 'Ata'llah
http://www.sunnipath.com
http://www.sunniforum.com/forum/
http://www.pt-go.com/
Angel View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2010 at 5:09am
Andalus, NO, PLEASE!!!

It just means that I have to make another thread when I get back here, that's not fair because EVERYTHING is here, all my hard work! I don't want to repeat and copy things in another thread! Cry I do plan to get back here, its just not at this moment. I even got replies to some posts here that i haven't put forth yet.

Edited by Angel - 08 May 2010 at 5:16am
~ Our feet are earthbound, but our hearts and our minds have wings ~
Andalus View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2010 at 8:24pm
Thread will be closed in 48 hours. Thank you.
A feeling of discouragement when you slip up is a sure sign that you put your faith in deeds. -Ibn 'Ata'llah
http://www.sunnipath.com
http://www.sunniforum.com/forum/
http://www.pt-go.com/
honeto View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Male Islam
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2010 at 3:35pm
Welcome and hello Matt,
I see that your concept of God is not abstract at all, it is very much in line with Islamic understanding of God.
I think its OK to talk about how you see God vs how others see it. What is not OK is that some people tend to push their version down the throat of others even when they are proven wrong from their very source. I believe God is behind all creation: from a tiny fly that we cannot comprehend completely to complex stars and galaxies. When someone tries to degrade the Creator by equating Him to one of His creations, it not only offends the Creator but those of us who know and understand that He is above all of that, i.e.  a man, an elephant or a monkey or any other of His creation.
Jesus being a prophet of God is a great thing, Jesus was chosen for this job by God because the Children of Israel were rebellious against God. So it is exciting that he was chosen to lead them out of error, so they can have a chance toward right guidance.
I agree that Jesus was to preach love beside other things, even though he is quoted in the Bible to hate.
Those who don't mean harm to us, should be treated with love, respect and best response. God is Just and asks us to be just as well, and it is only when someone means to harm you or the truth that you are to defend yourself, and the truth.
The earth is a place of trials and tests I believe. And there is the next life, which will be based on how we did in this one, the All Knowing being the Judge.
Our efforts should be to establish Justice and help in that cause on a personal level, the level we will be Judged upon. Because, it is only through Justice that the true peace is achieved at the end.
Thanks again for your input.
Hasan

Edited by honeto - 03 May 2010 at 3:44pm
The friends of God will certainly have nothing to fear, nor will they be grieved. Al Quran 10:62

JOUBERAR View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2010 at 8:24am
Originally posted by Matt Browne Matt Browne wrote:

My concept of God is a very abstract one. I believe God is the creator of our universe's natural laws. Because of these laws we do have stars that shine and planets with all the chemical ingredients for life to evolve into something beautiful and intelligent. Jesus being the son of God has a symbolic meaning, not a biological one. Therefore to me it's perfectly fine to see him as a prophet as well. There's no need to get too excited about this. Jesus was a human being and he had wonderful messages for us. One of the most important one is not to hate other people. We make ourselves very unhappy when we hate other people. This reminder might save us from living a miserable life. Muhammad had a very similar message. If they seek peace, then seek you peace. And trust in God for He is the One that heareth and knoweth all things.

The exact meaning of son of God cannot be used as an excuse not to seek peace between all people on planet Earth in my opinion.

Sorry there is no simularities between the messages and persons of Jesus and Muhammad.

JOUBERAR View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2010 at 8:18am
Originally posted by Mansoor_ali Mansoor_ali wrote:

To JOUIBERAR

Taken from If Jesus is called the Son of God, do you think that makes him God?

THE MEANING OF THE SON OF GOD

Taken from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Son%5Fof%5FGod

In the Tanakh

In the Tanakh, the phrase "sons of god" has multiple meanings:

• The Hebrew phrase Benei Elohim, often translated as "The Sons of God", describes angels, demigods or immensely powerful human beings. See Genesis 6:2-4. Many Bible scholars believe that this is a reference to pre-Biblical near-eastern mythology.
  • It is used to denote a human judge or ruler (Ps. lxxxii. 6, "children of the Most High"; in many passages "gods" and "judges" seem to be equations); and to the real or ideal king over Israel (II Sam. vii. 14, with reference to David and his dynasty; comp. Ps. lxxxix. 27, 28).
  • The phrases "sons of God" and "children of God" are applied to Israel as a people (comp. Ex. iv. 22 and Hos. xi. 1), the Jewish people, and also to all members of the human race.

In the Tanakh the term does not connote any form of physical descent from, or essential unity with, God. The Hebrew idiom conveys an expression of godlikeness (see Godliness).

In Judaism the term "son of God" is rarely used in the sense of "messiah."

Taken from http://www.m-w.com/cgi-bin/dictionary?book=Dictionary&va=son+of+God

son of God

One entry found for son of God.

<> < name="hdwd" value="son of God" ="">< name="listword" value="son of God" ="">< name="book" value="Dictionary" ="">

Main Entry: son of God
1 often capitalized S : a superhuman or divine being (as an angel)
2 capitalized S : MESSIAH 1
3 : a person established in the love of God by divine promise

<!--[if !vml]--><!--[endif]-->

Now note, non of the definitions of the son of God or Son of God with a capital S show that being a son of God makes you God. Christians may try to say being superhuman and divine makes you God, well not really since the dictionary puts as an angel in bracket marks. It would have been very easy for the dictionary to simply say that Son of God equals God, the fact they did not put this in also shows that they do not believe the Son of God makes you God, and they are getting their meanings from the Bible not their own heads. So according to the definition, a superhuman or divine being is like an angel, not God.

Since the Bible indicates that angels are asexual beings, it makes sense that they could not be the "sons of God" who produced children with the "daughters of men." The best interpretation is that the "sons of God" were men who were descended from Seth, who followed the Lord for a time (in contrast to the line of Cain, which produced the "daughters of men"). However, right before the flood, even the "sons of God" took wives among the line of Cain, and, therefore, became corrupted themselves through their unbelieving wives. This is one of the reasons God determined to destroy the entire human race, except for the eight people who still followed the Lord (Noah and his extended family).

The sons of GOD could as well be interpreted as children of God which represent the children of  Isreal as you see in the diff bible translations.

On that day some Sadducees (who say there is no resurrection) came to Him and questioned Him, saying, "Teacher, Moses said, 'IF A MAN DIES, HAVING NO CHILDREN, HIS BROTHER AS NEXT OF KIN SHALL MARRY HIS WIFE, AND RAISE UP AN OFFSPRING TO HIS BROTHER.' "Now there were seven brothers with us; and the first married and died, and having no offspring left his wife to his brother; so also the second, and the third, down to the seventh. "And last of all, the woman died. "In the resurrection therefore whose wife of the seven shall she be? For they all had her." But Jesus answered and said to them, "You are mistaken, not understanding the Scriptures, or the power of God. "For in the resurrection they neither marry, nor are given in marriage, but are like angels in heaven.

Job 1:6 And there was a day when the sons of the gods came together before the Lord, and the Satan came with them.

Job 1:6 And vpon a day when the children of God came and stoode before the lord, Satan came also among them.

Job 1:6 One day, when the angels had gathered around the LORD, and Satan was there with them

Job 1:6 Now there was a day when the sons of God came to present themselves before the LORD, and Satan came also among them.

Edited by JOUBERAR - 03 May 2010 at 8:20am
Matt Browne View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Male
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2010 at 6:57am
My concept of God is a very abstract one. I believe God is the creator of our universe's natural laws. Because of these laws we do have stars that shine and planets with all the chemical ingredients for life to evolve into something beautiful and intelligent. Jesus being the son of God has a symbolic meaning, not a biological one. Therefore to me it's perfectly fine to see him as a prophet as well. There's no need to get too excited about this. Jesus was a human being and he had wonderful messages for us. One of the most important one is not to hate other people. We make ourselves very unhappy when we hate other people. This reminder might save us from living a miserable life. Muhammad had a very similar message. If they seek peace, then seek you peace. And trust in God for He is the One that heareth and knoweth all things.

The exact meaning of son of God cannot be used as an excuse not to seek peace between all people on planet Earth in my opinion.

A religion that's intolerant of other religions can't be the world's best religion --Abdel Samad
Great minds discuss ideas. Average minds discuss events. Small minds discuss people--Eleanor Roosevelt
Mansoor_ali View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Male
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2010 at 5:49am

To JOUIBERAR

Taken from If Jesus is called the Son of God, do you think that makes him God?

THE MEANING OF THE SON OF GOD

Taken from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Son%5Fof%5FGod

In the Tanakh

In the Tanakh, the phrase "sons of god" has multiple meanings:

• The Hebrew phrase Benei Elohim, often translated as "The Sons of God", describes angels, demigods or immensely powerful human beings. See Genesis 6:2-4. Many Bible scholars believe that this is a reference to pre-Biblical near-eastern mythology.
  • It is used to denote a human judge or ruler (Ps. lxxxii. 6, "children of the Most High"; in many passages "gods" and "judges" seem to be equations); and to the real or ideal king over Israel (II Sam. vii. 14, with reference to David and his dynasty; comp. Ps. lxxxix. 27, 28).
  • The phrases "sons of God" and "children of God" are applied to Israel as a people (comp. Ex. iv. 22 and Hos. xi. 1), the Jewish people, and also to all members of the human race.

In the Tanakh the term does not connote any form of physical descent from, or essential unity with, God. The Hebrew idiom conveys an expression of godlikeness (see Godliness).

In Judaism the term "son of God" is rarely used in the sense of "messiah."

Taken from http://www.m-w.com/cgi-bin/dictionary?book=Dictionary&va=son+of+God

son of God

One entry found for son of God.

<> < name="hdwd" value="son of God" ="">< name="listword" value="son of God" ="">< name="book" value="Dictionary" ="">

Main Entry: son of God
1 often capitalized S : a superhuman or divine being (as an angel)
2 capitalized S : MESSIAH 1
3 : a person established in the love of God by divine promise

Now note, non of the definitions of the son of God or Son of God with a capital S show that being a son of God makes you God. Christians may try to say being superhuman and divine makes you God, well not really since the dictionary puts as an angel in bracket marks. It would have been very easy for the dictionary to simply say that Son of God equals God, the fact they did not put this in also shows that they do not believe the Son of God makes you God, and they are getting their meanings from the Bible not their own heads. So according to the definition, a superhuman or divine being is like an angel, not God.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 153>
  Share Topic