IslamiCity.org Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Religion - Islam > Ask Dr. Aslam
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Confusion on Zakat  What is Islam What is Islam  Donate Donate
  FAQ FAQ  Quran Search Quran Search  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Confusion on Zakat

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Starter.
Starter.
Islam
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Saiftauheed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Confusion on Zakat
    Posted: 22 April 2021 at 9:30pm
Asalam Alaikum.
I am a 25 year old living in Kolkata, India
I had a confusion regarding payable Zakat.
I have been paying Zakat Since last year in Ramzaan before Eid but this Year I have some confusion whetever I need to pay or not.

This year my finances has been below the Nisab value until just 1 month Ago(march 2021) when I recieved some cash gift from my father that took my finances above the Nisab threshold. Now people are telling me this money that you got as a gift from your father that took your finances above the nisab has to be held for 1 year before Nisab becomes obligatory on it so you dont have to pay zakat.
Do I have to hold money for 1 year before paying zakat on it or am I zakatable regardless if the money came to me 1 year or 1 month ago?
Jazak Allah
Dr. Aslam View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Male Islam
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dr. Aslam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 April 2021 at 10:12am
Wa alaikum Salam
If you  are in possession of wealth above the nisab threshold at the beginning and end of the zakat year, zakat will be payable, even if your wealth dipped below the nisab for most of the year.
Aslam Abdullah
Best Regards,
Aslam Abdullah
Kirstenwilliamson23 View Drop Down
Male Catholic
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kirstenwilliamson23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 June 2021 at 7:47pm
I am not really sure about this but I think it is great thing that you receive a cash gift from your father. It is actually a rare thing hahah Well, you might as well as your father about that just to make sure. There is nothing wrong if you are going to ask him.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic