IslamiCity.org Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Religion - Islam > Stories - How I Became Muslim?
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Journey to peace  What is Islam What is Islam  Donate Donate
  FAQ FAQ  Quran Search Quran Search  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Journey to peace

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Female
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nausheen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Journey to peace
    Posted: 08 March 2005 at 8:31pm

Topic:

My Journey to Peace (1 of 6), Read 73 times

Conf:

Islam: How I Became Muslim

naseera [email protected]

Date:

Sunday, October 31, 2004 12:23 AM

On the first day of Ramadan last year, I sat in my car outside the local mosque crying. I was there as an assignment for a college class on Judaism and Islam, and a requirement was attending prayers. I was crying because I didn't want to go into a place where I would be treated differently because I was woman. I didn't want to have to cover my hair or sit in a different room or eat different food--I was a feminist, and this was simply not part of my life. But I went, and instead of finding strict rules and an oppressive culture, I found a strong community who welcomed a very uncomfortable and skeptical student.

I quickly realized how wrong my characterizations had been, and as I studied more of the Qur'an and continued attending services at the mosque, I found myself drawn to the both electrifying and calming power of Islam.

I attended as much as I could, becoming close to the women and to the teachings. I was amazed at their stories of triumph and solidarity. One of their daughters took a liking to me and drew a picture for me, and when my health prevented me from returning for several months, it was this simple picture by a four year old that represented all the love I had found in Islam. I continued to study on my own, and this Ramadan, I returned to the mosque to find that everyone remembered me and had been praying for me.

I grew up in a number of Christian churches, and my experiences had convinced me that all religion was pointless. I saw people worshipping their pastors, being cruel to non-believers, and being hypocritical at every turn--I refused to return to anything that resembled this. But Islam was not--it is simultaneously the most personal and communal spiritual experience I have witnessed.

Tonight I took my shahada, and after uttering that proclamation, I fell into the waiting arms of the women of my community, crying. Where I had began by crying tears of bitterness and spite a year ago, tonight I cried tears of happiness and uncontainable excitement.

My parents are Christian and are not speaking to me because of my choice. I can only pray that they find the same peace that I have, or at least find the love in their hearts to celebrate my peace.

In Islam I have found peace for a chaotic mind, strength for a failing will, and a path in a tangled void. Subhana Rabbi al aala.

Topic:

My Journey to Peace (2 of 6), Read 64 times

Conf:

Suleyman [email protected]

Date:

Sunday, October 31, 2004 01:06 AM

Es_Selam'un Aleyku�m ve Rahmetullahi ve Berkatuh Risa,

Welcome to islam and i wish you will love your stay insh'Allah;Mabrook!!!!

Keep on reading the board,i believe you will benefit from it so much;especially i have started a project for the intermediate and the new muslims helping their understandings on islam,take a look when you are available,at the qur'an and sunnah division called under the name towards understanding islam.....Wa Salaam...

Topic:

My Journey to Peace (3 of 6), Read 64 times

Conf:

peaceinislam

Date:

Sunday, October 31, 2004 06:49 AM

On 10/31/2004 12:23:00 AM, risahill0813 wrote:
>I grew up in a number of Christian churches, and my experiences had convinced me that all religion was pointless. I saw people worshipping their pastors, being cruel to non-believers, and being hypocritical at every turn--I refused to return to anything that resembled this. But Islam was not--it is simultaneously the most personal and communal spiritual experience I have witnessed.<

Firstly, let me welcome you into the folds of Islam. Congrats (mabrook). May Allah continually guide you and consider you among the best of believers when the Day of Reckoning takes place. Ameen.

I hope the Sisters at the mosque have been able to help you with learning Islam. The first important things I recommend you learn are what's fard vs. what's sunnah (obligatory verses recommended), your prayers, ghusl (Islamic bath): when to take it, etc. If you aren't sure of what fard, sunnah or ghusl is, ask the Sisters.

But here's a brief example: fard is the thing you're asked about because it's obligatory. Sunnah has two types: recommended and highly recommended. You'll eventually benefit from this knowledge once you've learned the basics of Islam. As for ghusl (Islamic bath), one needs to take this once someone has become Muslim, after marital relations, and (for women) after each menstrual cycle.

>My parents are Christian and are not speaking to me because of my choice. I can only pray that they find the same peace that I have, or at least find the love in their hearts to celebrate my peace.<

Welcome to the world of many reverts. Let me say many parents do eventually come around and realize that their son or daughter made the choice they feel is best for them. Some don't, but hopefully, your parents will be among the first type and accept the decisions you've made for yourself.

You can always make dua for them (like Allah will open their hearts and minds) so things aren't made hard for you. But note: Allah doesn't place a burden on someone greater than he / she can bear. This may simply be a test for you to see how strongly you feel about your new-found faith. Take it from me (someone who was in your shoes many years ago): stick with Islam. It'll bring you a lot of inner happiness. I've never regretted my decision and stick-to-it-iveness no matter how hard dealing with my family had been. Even now, with kids, dealing with non-Islamic holidays is a bit of a test (family or not). My family has also learned over the years that what and how my husband and I decide to do to raise our family is OUR decision: not theirs. In fact, I'm more at peace now than I ever was in my teens and 20's (being the same religion as my family). May you find the same as I have. :)

Again, welcome (ahlan wa sahlan). May Allah continually guide you along the straight path, making it easy for you along the way. Ameen. Maa salama.

Topic:

My Journey to Peace (4 of 6), Read 46 times

Conf:

maironan [email protected]

Date:

Saturday, November 06, 2004 07:22 PM

Salam sister,

Alhamdulillah, Praise to Allah, for He has opened a wide door to you, which lead to the truth! welcome!
I hope that you life after this will be much more better, Inshallah. Sis, never forget to pray and talk to Him, in whatever circumstance. May Allah bless you.Ameen.

Maizatul

Topic:

My Journey to Peace (5 of 6), Read 43 times

Conf:

TheJellyMill

Date:

Monday, November 08, 2004 04:26 PM

Asalam walaikum warahmatullah sister,

Welcome to Islam and to the Muslim Ummah, Allahu Akbar!!
Praise be to Allah that you have found the Straight Path. :-)

Jazak Allah khair for sharing your story, it was very nice. :-)

Your sister in Islam,

Natasha

Topic:

My Journey to Peace (6 of 6), Read 45 times

Conf:

nur_um [email protected]

Date:

Tuesday, November 09, 2004 04:31 AM

Es Selamun Aleykum ve Rahmetullahi ve Berakatuhu my Sister,
I became very happy for your choice, and while i'm reading i get excited.
This is the true way you know. I want to mail you . I have a sister from Spain like you she is Muslim too and we mail each other.
[email protected] is my mail adress

Edited by administrator
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic