IslamiCity.org Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Culture & Community > Family Matter
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Non-Muslim Parents  What is Islam What is Islam  Donate Donate
  FAQ FAQ  Quran Search Quran Search  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Non-Muslim Parents

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Starter.
Starter.
Female Islam
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ritika97 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Non-Muslim Parents
    Posted: 25 July 2020 at 10:06am

As salam aleikum. I am a 23 year old female from india and am currently studying in the last year of medicine in europe. My parents are non-muslims, hindus to be specific and live 2 hours away from where i study. I converted to islam 6 years ago. When i told my parents that i converted to islam, i got an abusive backclash from them, both verbally and physically. In fear of being hurt physically and since i am fully dependent on my parents i kept following islam while being at university and wearing my hijab. But during the holidays when i visited home, i removed the hijab because my parents did not allow it. Still i did not follow any hindu rituals or eat haram in front of them. My parents being the very indian parents believe education is really important and want me to become a doctor first and foremost. Everytime i try to talk to them about me being a muslim, they tell me that they have accepted me as a muslim but still do not allow me to wear my hijab or pray in their house. They say that i need to focus on my education now and do not get distracted from it. And that i can do whatever i want when i have become a doctor. I would like to marry a muslim boy and i have no reason to believe what my parents are saying is the truth. Since they can’t even let me wear the hijab in front of them or pray. They say they have accepted me as a muslim but i do not know if i believe them or not. I think they are just delaying talking about this until i become a doctor and then won’t let me follow my religion. What should i do? Please give me some advice.

Dr. Aslam View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Male Islam
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dr. Aslam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 July 2020 at 12:26pm
Salam Alaikum,

Respect your parents, but follow what you believe in. If they do not allow you to pray at your (their home), respect their will. Pray outside or pray in the house at a time when they are not present. Once you finish your education, you would be independent as you would also find a job.
Stay strong. God will protect you.
Aslam
Best Regards,
Aslam Abdullah
abuayisha View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Muslim
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote abuayisha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 July 2020 at 5:52am
Assalamu alaikum,

Welcome Ritika! I agree with Dr. Aslam, and in addition, we are now in the blessed days of dhul hijjah so make supplication that Allah guides your parents.  Indeed concentrate on your studies and show your parents through  your good character and success in school how much of a difference your faith has made in your life.  All the best and stay safe...
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic