IslamiCity.org Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Religion - Islam > Ask Dr. Aslam > Family Matter
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Do I have the right to break ties with my mother?  What is Islam What is Islam  Donate Donate
  FAQ FAQ  Quran Search Quran Search  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Do I have the right to break ties with my mother?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Starter.
Starter.

Muslim convert
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hope7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Do I have the right to break ties with my mother?
    Posted: 08 June 2020 at 2:40am
Asalaam Aleikom,

May Allah forgive me.

I want to start with the fact that my mother is not a Muslim, and that I converted to Islam before I got married. My mother extremely hates Islam with passion. She constantly tells me how much she hates this religion. My problem is after a very long time of being happily married to my Muslim husband, she won't stop causing us problems. She is arrogant and selfish and she will take any opportunity to break apart my family. She has always wanted me to divorce my husband and take my children away, and she won't stop giving us problems. She even spat in my face when I told her I converted to Islam. We have been patient, but she just did something so horrible (i prefer not to say) that now I can no longer trust her. I cannot trust that she will not take any chance to hurt me and my family only because she is full of hate to Islam. She won't stop. After this incident that just happened I told her I no longer consider her my mother, that she is not my children's grandmother anymore and have not spoken to her since. My husband and even my children can no longer trust her either and we fear that she can cause us even more pain and problems that this time cannot be reversed. We have tried to work things out with her, tolerated her and tried to give her chances but we are suffering from her. I cannot say all the horrible things she has done to us. 

Did I have the right to cut ties with her? I don't want to be forbidden paradise and have even more problems and punishment in this life if I didn't do the right thing. But I have to protect my family and the only way is to remove her from my life. She is very manipulative and refuses to take responsibility for anything. She won't even be sorry for causing me (and my family) such great pain. I have not gotten a single "Im sorry" from her EVER. She always thinks she is right. She only cares about herself. We are miserable because of her, and on top of everything she always gives us a bad eye. 

May Allah forgive me for saying these bad things about her, but I need to give a better picture of her.

Any advise is appreciated. Thank you and many blessings.
Asalaam Aleikom
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic