IslamiCity.org Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > General Discussion
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Should I give up music entirely?  What is Islam What is Islam  Donate Donate
  FAQ FAQ  Quran Search Quran Search  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Should I give up music entirely?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Starter.
Starter.
Male Islam
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gnahc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Should I give up music entirely?
    Posted: 25 February 2020 at 4:12pm
Hello

I dont consider myself as a member of any religions but believe in our one true god, Allah. 

Since I was little I was educated and trained in music
Always thought my musical gift was from god and thanked him for the ability he gave to me. 

Last year I made friend with a muslim friend and he has taught me about Islam ever since and I've started reading Quran, he told me that in Islam practicing music is sin (haram) and I should stay away from it. 
I said to him "how can god dislike music, is it not one of his most beautiful creations in existence?" 
And to that he said, "its up to you, but you can see quite commonly that most musician end up defiling themselves with party, drugs and unclean sexual practices. 

And I sort of agreed with him and didnt play instruments or write music or anything like that for about half a year now. 

But I still cant believe how music is bad in the eyes of Allah, I feel in my heart that my craft and skills in music was a gift given by Allah, do I really have to throw years of study and practice out the window?
If I can control myself and stay firmly away from wrong doings, and make sure the content inside my music is not promoting the works of shaytan, is it still wrong to practice music? 
Why do Christians use hymn and music to praise god but muslims cant? It is written in old testament that ye should use your trumpet, harps and lyre to praise god. We worship the same god, are they not brothers and sisters to us? Is it wrong to participate with them and praise God amongst them? 
Help me please. 

Dr. Aslam View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Male Islam
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dr. Aslam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 February 2020 at 4:58pm
Wa alaikum Salam,
Anyone who says music is prohibited in Islam is making a mockery of God and his faith. What is prohibited is drugs, illicit sexual relations and lyrics that promote violence or permissiveness.
Music is a gift from God.
Prophet David was a great musician of his time. Prophet Muhammad listened to the music also.
Donot believe in anything that people tell you. They may be the victims of their own ignorance.
Write and play music to enhance the beauty of soul and ensure that you do not indulge in actions that are explicitly prohibited in the Quran.
Aslam Abdullah
Best Regards,
Aslam Abdullah
abuayisha View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Muslim
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote abuayisha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 February 2020 at 6:17am
asep garutea View Drop Down
Male Islam
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote asep garutea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 February 2020 at 8:08pm
Originally posted by Gnahc Gnahc wrote:

Hello

I dont consider myself as a member of any religions but believe in our one true god, Allah. 

Since I was little I was educated and trained in music
Always thought my musical gift was from god and thanked him for the ability he gave to me. 

Last year I made friend with a muslim friend and he has taught me about Islam ever since and I've started reading Quran, he told me that in Islam practicing music is sin (haram) and I should stay away from it. 
I said to him "how can god dislike music, is it not one of his most beautiful creations in existence?" 
And to that he said, "its up to you, but you can see quite commonly that most musician end up defiling themselves with party, drugs and unclean sexual practices. 

And I sort of agreed with him and didnt play instruments or write music or anything like that for about half a year now. 

But I still cant believe how music is bad in the eyes of Allah, I feel in my heart that my craft and skills in music was a gift given by Allah, do I really have to throw years of study and practice out the window?
If I can control myself and stay firmly away from wrong doings, and make sure the content inside my music is not promoting the works of shaytan, is it still wrong to practice music? 
Why do Christians use hymn and music to praise god but muslims cant? It is written in old testament that ye should use your trumpet, harps and lyre to praise god. We worship the same god, are they not brothers and sisters to us? Is it wrong to participate with them and praise God amongst them? 
Help me please. 

I agree with the explanation from Dr. Aslam.

Me, as a Muslim believe that as long as playing music doesn't damage 'aqidah and do not violate the obligatory law in Islamic teachings, for me music is not a problem.
رَبَّنَا مَا  خَلَقْتَ هٰذَا بَاطِلًا  ۚ  سُبْحٰنَكَ فَقِنَا عَذَابَ النَّارِ
"O our Lord, did not you create all this in vain; Glory to You, protect us from the punishment of hell."
(Ali 'Imran 3: 191)

Until now I'm still teaching music.

Tim the plumber View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Male
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tim the plumber Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 February 2020 at 4:20am
Atheist Perspective;

Sceen, God is at the high coucil table sorting out the governance of the universe with his cabinate of advisors....

Minister for Regonal affairs: Oh Great God, Lord of the univers, He who is most..

God: Get on with it!

Minister: Oh, right, er, that planet around that unremarkable star in the galaxy that is just next to the Amdromeda galaxy..

God: Oh, the one with the intelligent floating clouds of blue electric snargfarrats?

Minister: No, the little one with the humans on it.

God: Humans? er...

Minister: Yes sir, they recently evolved from apes and have quickly become very slightly civilised and partially intelligent.

God: recent?

Minister: Yes, well given that your living experience is at least 13.8 billions years long then they have come about in the last 0.0003% of that time (ratio of hmanity's existance to age of universe). Well one of them has been listening to music.

God: Music eh? Well, what is muisic? And why would I care?

Minister: Don't worry sir, they species has gone away now. (Time for the universe runs slow compared to our experience. We are unlikely to last a whole million years so just a very brief spark.)
abuayisha View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Muslim
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote abuayisha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 February 2020 at 6:16am
NABA View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Male
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NABA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 March 2020 at 9:21pm
You know I am very good in playing piano,it is a gift from Allah that whatever tune I hear I directly play piano,but slowly slowly I refrained from it and today I don't have an urge to play that, moreover I stop listening music,though when my family members want to listen,I don't stop them,it is not a question whether it is haraam or not,my experience says that when u try to leave something for Allah from heart,Allah removes affection of that thing from you, because think about it you listen music for peace,harmony did u really want that???the best thing to attain peace is to try to make Allah happy,recite Quran,perform daily 5 prayers, remember Allah often,try to do charity,do exercise,Allah loves strong believer as compared to weak,Allah in ch 13 v 28 of Quran says with remembrance of Allah heart finds peace.
cowolter View Drop Down
Starter.
Starter.
Islam
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cowolter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 March 2020 at 2:22pm
Hello. 
Judging by how lowly and unsophisticated the music typically is today, I'm sure there are nothing but benefits from leaving it. It's definitely designed to make you more neurotic. Aristotle said that you can judge the direction a society is going in by the type of music that becomes popular. Music plays with your psyche by accessing it through the gate of emotions.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic