IslamiCity.org Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > General Discussion
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Why do some oppose religions?  What is Islam What is Islam  Donate Donate
  FAQ FAQ  Quran Search Quran Search  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Why do some oppose religions?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Senior  Member
Male
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tim the plumber Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Why do some oppose religions?
    Posted: 30 October 2019 at 4:37am
I'll start this by explaining my position;

I am an atheist. I post on forums like this and debate with people elsewhere with an objective of challenging people's faith.

My motivation for doing this is that I see religion as a very harmfull thing in the world. I see it as one of the things that causes wars and untold suffering in many smaller ways within society and families. I see it taking away somebody's self confidence and self sovernty, that is to take away the self confidence to own your own decisions. To consider yourself responsible for your own actions, good or bad.

I see the present state of the world with the West having triuphed over all other cultures, economically and culturally, as the result of the abandonment of religious thinking. It is a very new thing. A fluke. It has only happened due to the praticle application of skeptical enquiry. Science.

I want the human race to advance as fast as it can. To be the best we can be. To solve how to cure cancer. To build a world which is better than todays. I see religious practices and thinking to be a very great break on this process.

That's why I argue as I do.

And by the way I do the same to Christians. Or any other religious types, communists etc.
asep garutea View Drop Down
Male Islam
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote asep garutea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 October 2019 at 7:18pm
Originally posted by Tim the plumber Tim the plumber wrote:

I'll start this by explaining my position;

I am an atheist. I post on forums like this and debate with people elsewhere with an objective of challenging people's faith.

My motivation for doing this is that I see religion as a very harmfull thing in the world. I see it as one of the things that causes wars and untold suffering in many smaller ways within society and families. I see it taking away somebody's self confidence and self sovernty, that is to take away the self confidence to own your own decisions. To consider yourself responsible for your own actions, good or bad.

I see the present state of the world with the West having triuphed over all other cultures, economically and culturally, as the result of the abandonment of religious thinking. It is a very new thing. A fluke. It has only happened due to the praticle application of skeptical enquiry. Science.

I want the human race to advance as fast as it can. To be the best we can be. To solve how to cure cancer. To build a world which is better than todays. I see religious practices and thinking to be a very great break on this process.

That's why I argue as I do.

And by the way I do the same to Christians. Or any other religious types, communists etc.
Hi Tim
There is no dangerous religion in this world, but with religion there are also some adherents of religion who come out of their respective religious rules. That is a possible its danger.
Everyone has the right to determine the path of freedom to think, work, including religion. (There is no compulsion)
The western world is superior in economy and culture. Indeed, the pact is like that, because anyone who is serious in trying to get changes, then he will get it.
Proverb says:
"If there is a will, there is a way"
As for many people who are religious, it is due to the belief in their hearts and minds that the afterlife exists (after death)
Religious people believe that something exists because something made it. as an example with the existence of this universe, religious people believe that there is something has created it.
Another example, as we see a car, it is not possible that the car happened by itself, surely we all believe that the car was made by humans even though we did not see who made the car.
That is why people are religious, because they believe that there is something has enormous power while the human race does not have.

Tim the plumber View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Male
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tim the plumber Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 November 2019 at 2:08am
Dangerous religions;
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aztec_religion

Quote Religion and society

Religion was part of all levels of Aztec society. On the state level, religion was controlled by the Tlatoani and the high priests governing the main temples in the ceremonial precinct of the Aztec capital of Tenochtitlan. This level involved the large monthly festivals, and a number of specific rituals centered around the ruler dynasty and attempting to stabilize both the political and cosmic systems. These rituals were the ones that involved a sacrifice of humans. One of these rituals was the feast of Huey Tozoztli, when the ruler himself ascended Mount Tlaloc and engaged in autosacrifice in order to petition the rains. Throughout society, each level had their own rituals and deities and played their part in the larger rituals of the community. For example, the class of Pochteca merchants were involved in the feast Tlaxochimaco, where the merchant deity would be celebrated, and slaves bought on specific slave markets by long-distance traders would be sacrificed. On the feast of Ochpaniztli, all commoners participated in sweeping the streets. Afterwards, they also undertook ritual bathing. The most spectacular ritual was the New Fire ceremony which took place every 52 years and involved every citizen of the Aztec realm. During this, commoners would destroy house utensils, quench all fires, and receive new fire from the bonfire on top of Mt. Huixachtlan, lit on the chest of a sacrificed person by the high priests.

There most certainly are evil bad dangerous harmful religions.

That most of them have withered away in the face of competition from less destructive ones does not make those not bad at all.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2018/nov/17/an-apocalyptic-cult-900-dead-remembering-the-jonestown-massacre-40-years-on

Quote An apocalyptic cult, 900 dead: remembering the Jonestown massacre, 40 years on

I hope you can see why I have a generally negative view of religion.

What good thing do you think religion does?

P.S. I have tried to get the bold off but it will not go away...

Senior  Member
Male
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tim the plumber Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 November 2019 at 6:52am
Just watching a Utube video. One idea in it is that the neo-Marxist-Post-Modernist Lefties who are the scurge of interlectual debate in the west are those who oppose the idea of the autonomous individual.

Sorry for all the big words but...

I agree with this and further think I would put the burth of the enlightenment and birth or science, the industrial revolution and triuph of the west down to free speach its' self.

That is all those wonders of humanity are the diret reult of free speach.

I find religious thinking to be the opposite of freedom of thought so I oppose religion.
Noor-e-hidayat View Drop Down
Male Islam
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Noor-e-hidayat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 November 2019 at 12:09am
Not Agreed with you .......You said what you observe, it's not 100% sure that you are right or wrong as observing by own yourself.

MIAW View Drop Down
Islam
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MIAW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 November 2019 at 1:23am

I'm gonna try to be as brief as possible, simply because there are too many interesting thoughts in your posts above, worthy of debate in my opinion. 

First and foremost, may I say that it's extremely difficult (or challenging if you prefer) to discuss these topics with Atheists, Agnostics...etc... because they have not yet solved the main conundrum, the principal stage (arena), the starting point: Namely...the existence of a God... therefore we have to resort to (tangible) examples from our human futile and erratic everyday lives... (just exercising my 'free speech' as you put it  Smile )

... I agree with this and further think I would put the burth of the enlightenment and birth or science, the industrial revolution and triuph of the west down to free speach its' self. 

That is all those wonders of humanity are the diret reult of free speach.

I find religious thinking to be the opposite of freedom of thought so I oppose religion.

and also from your first post:

...I see the present state of the world with the West having triuphed over all other cultures, economically and culturally, as the result of the abandonment of religious thinking. It is a very new thing. A fluke. It has only happened due to the praticle application of skeptical enquiry. Science...

We certainly cannot and must not put all religions under the same umbrella here.
While the Church (and all its Cardinals and Bishops...etc) prohibited and forbade any free speech and scientific inquiry for many centuries during their 'Dark Ages'... these two (Sciences and free speech/thinking) flourished under Islam.

While the church threatened, tortured and even killed (sometimes by burning at the stakes) anyone who experimented with Chemistry, Physics ...etc... it was the advent of Islam that turned mere tribesmen (who were continuously engaged in senseless tribal wars) into scientists, architects, mathematicians, philosophers, astronomers...etc who paved the way for our modern world... in a very  short initial period, and then... their civilisation lasted for more than 8 centuries,  longer than any civilisation that mankind has ever known before or after (Chinese civilisation did not have as much impact)... Many of their theories are still taught in schools and universities today.

Islam is not against Science... it encourages it!

Here are some examples:

I must go... but I'll come back Inshallah, as I have a couple more things to say on the subject.

QasimAttari View Drop Down

Male
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote QasimAttari Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 November 2019 at 1:53am
I Think Its Not True
Senior  Member
Male
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tim the plumber Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 November 2019 at 2:14am
MIAW,

Thanks for the contribution. Good to exchange ideas freely!

My impression of the history of Islam and Islam's golden age of science is that the waring Bedouin tribes that started the Islamic conquest took the advanced places which had been sort of rebelling from their previous rulers or having a cultural/religious revolution from the old orders when the Arab armies turned up and provided a banner/religion to unite all the social tensions aroun, thus an easy conquest.

The science of Islam did not happen in the desert. It was the great cities of Mesepotainia (Iraq) and Spain, I think, where it all happened.

Then this experimentation was stopped. It was stopped because the powers at the top felt threatened by any change. That is always the case change will cause the present rulers to have to be very clever to stay in power.

At least that is my impression from watching lots of documentaries on stuff.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic