IslamiCity.org Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Culture & Community > Groups : New Muslims
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Questions from a newer Muslim  What is Islam What is Islam  Donate Donate
  FAQ FAQ  Quran Search Quran Search  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Questions from a newer Muslim

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Starter.
Starter.
Male
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dsaly1969 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Questions from a newer Muslim
    Posted: 02 April 2019 at 11:38am
Assalamu Alaikum!

I am a recent convert to Islam and had some lifestyle questions. These are important to me so I beg your indulgence.

Music - Is all music haram? Or is it just that music that promotes or endorses sin? For example, what about instrumental classical (Mozart, Beethoven, et al) or jazz music? (I grew up playing classical music as a child and still appreciate it so I wanted to check.) Are there any modern singers or bands that promote Islamic values?

Games - I am not referring to "games of chance" (gambling) but pastimes such as checkers, chess, dominoes, contract bridge, Tarneeb, Hokm which are not played for money. Are these haram or okay? What about modern board games such as Catan or role playing games (if placed in an Islamically appropriate setting like the Ottoman Empire playing Muslim characters - I would never do anything set in early Islam - yikes)? Are there any good Islamically themed and supportive games that you would recommend?

Sports - I like watching sports on TV especially cricket, rugby, Aussie football, baseball and rugby (I am a white American by the way). Is that okay as long as I do not gamble? What about fantasy sports which is not based on money prizes (just "glory points")?

Salat - I have physical difficulties (scoliosis, cervicalgia with neuropathy, gout, and obesity with bad knees) but I can do all of the positions in salat except for full prostration which I can do from a chair. Is that acceptable?

Ramadan - I was recently released from the hospital (last week) from severe blood loss (over 50%) due to having over 10 ulcers in my stomach so my innards filled up with blood until it "purged" itself and I went into hypovolic shock after blood level went way below 7 and my heart stopped. I am now on medication four times a day and must eat small meals throughout the day of bland diet to build up strength and iron levels (I am still at 9 blood level and not going up). So I can no longer fast, what are some alternatives that I can do?

Hajj - Similar question. Bad health so will never be able to go on hajj personally. Alternatives? Can I provide assistance to someone else who will be able to go on hajj?

Thanks!

Dave
Dr. Aslam View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Male Islam
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dr. Aslam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 October 2019 at 5:28pm
Wa alaikum Salam,
Music is the comfort of soul. It is not forbidden. What is forbidden is a type of music that promote defiance of God and what takes away people from serving God.
Games are acceptable as long as they do not prevent one from remembering Allah.
Sports are to be played and watched provided we do not deprive ourselves from fulfilling our responsibilities to God.
Yes, you can pray according to your physical conditions.
Those who are sick and unable to fast due to their health conditions are exempt from it during their conditions. In lieu of that they can feed a person for the missing fasting.
Hajj is obligatory upon those who can financially and physically capable of doing it.
AA
AA
Best Regards,
Aslam Abdullah
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic