IslamiCity.org Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Reviews - Media > Websites & Internet
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Google Video  What is Islam What is Islam  Donate Donate
  FAQ FAQ  Quran Search Quran Search  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Google Video

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
ummziba View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Female
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ummziba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Google Video
    Posted: 27 April 2006 at 8:47am

Assalamu alaikum,

Who decided this child should do this?  His dad or uncle or grandfather.  ISA, I pray for this child to continue to study hard, but to also have some play time running around and playing soccer and hide and seek and watching cartoons.

So very right, Sister.  While he was so cute to watch, I couldn't help wondering what kind of life the little guy has, one of balance or one of constant forced study.  That was a very long speech for such a young child to memorize.

Peace, ummziba.

Sticks and stones may break my bones, but your words...they break my soul ~
herjihad View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote herjihad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 April 2006 at 6:20am

Bismillah,

Didn't anyone else notice that the adult standing beside him had coached him because he was anticipating and mouthing each word that the boy spoke?

Didn't you notice this man holding his arms at one point to instruct him how to move his arms?

Who decided this child should do this?  His dad or uncle or grandfather.  ISA, I pray for this child to continue to study hard, but to also have some play time running around and playing soccer and hide and seek and watching cartoons.

Al-Hamdulillah (From a Married Muslimah) La Howla Wa La Quwata Illa BiLLah - There is no Effort or Power except with Allah's Will.
grant44 View Drop Down
Starter
Starter

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote grant44 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 April 2006 at 6:28pm

Thanks, Ummziba! Assalamu'alaikum!

A couple of parallels from the Old Testament come to mind from what you wrote.

First the idea that being �strange� is �good for you.� There are three places that Yahweh, through the prophet Moses, refers to His people as a �peculiar people�.

Exodus 19:5 - Now therefore, if ye will obey my voice indeed, and keep my covenant, then ye shall be a peculiar treasure unto me above all people: for all the earth is mine.

Deuteronomy 14:2 - For thou art an holy people unto the LORD thy God, and the LORD hath chosen thee to be a peculiar people unto himself, above all the nations that are upon the earth.

Deuteronomy 26:18 - And the LORD hath avouched thee this day to be his peculiar people, as he hath promised thee, and that thou shouldest keep all his commandments;

LORD in these verses, of course, is how the King James translators indicated �Yahweh�, �I am that I am�, the self existent one. I�ve studied the names of God in the Bible and in the Qur�an. I�m sure all the visitors to this forum will enjoy visiting http://www.ahadees.com/names_of_allah/.

It turns out that �peculiar� in these verses means �belonging to� and not �strange�, and perhaps that�s the correct interpretation of �strange� in what you wrote. Those who �belong to� Allah at the end of time will be well. I did a little research in the Qur'an, but was disappointed.

Neither �strange� nor �peculiar� is used in this way in the Al-Hilali and Khan English translation of the Qur�an. I also have the Mohammed Asad, T. B. Irving, Rashad Khalifa, Maulvi Sher Ali, E. H. Palmer, Muhammad Marmaduke Pickthall, M. H. Shakir and Abdullah Yusuf Ali English translations and a Spanish translation, but I think the Al-Hilali is the best. Of course there is no comparison between these and the Arabic original.

Similarly, I was unable to locate anything in the Qur�an about the �end of time�, �end of the world�, �end time� or �end of the earth�. Maybe this idea comes from one of the Hadeeth, Tafseer or Fiqh. We really are at a disadvantage when we don�t speak and read Arabic.

I searched the English translation of the Sahih Bukhari hadith located at http://www.usc.edu/dept/MSA/reference/searchhadith.html for �strange� and �peculiar� and didn�t find anything applicable. Bummer.

The second thing that struck me in what you wrote about �deceiving years when honesty is disbelief and dishonesty is belief.� This verse comes from the Old Testament.

Isaiah 5:20 - Woe unto them that call evil good, and good evil; that put darkness for light, and light for darkness; that put bitter for sweet, and sweet for bitter!

Sound similar to what you wrote? You betcha! We certainly live in a time when there are many distorted and twisted values. George Orwell coined the term �newspeak� in his book 1984. Abortion, for example, is thought of by many people as a woman�s �right�, and not as the murderous evil it really is. For a husband and wife to be completely faithful to one another is viewed by many people as naive or impossible. We are twenty-two years beyond the prophetic date of 1984, and the lies and distortions that come to us through our newspapers and movies and music and television sets are some of the things that most dismay and anger faithful Moslems, Christians and Jews alike. And I suppose Buddhists and maybe even Hindus too.

Ummziba, thanks again for the time you�ve taken to enlighten all of us about that video. I wonder why there aren�t any reference links at Google Video to the source? Or maybe I missed them.

Now, end of topic, on to something else.

Ma as-salaamah,

Grant

ummziba View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Female
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ummziba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 April 2006 at 12:14pm

Assalamu alaikum,

Sorry it took so long.  We watched the video this morning.  Unfortunately, the sound quality was very poor, I don't know if the computer we watched it on was to blame or the fact that the little boy was shouting so loudly into the microphone, either way, we couldn't get too much, but, here is what was figured out.

From his Arabic, the little boy is probably from Oman or Yemen.  The sign behind him says something about "recent problems and issues" on the top line and then there is an ayah of the Qur'an about using your wisdom to be in Allah's way.

The speech itself is a khutbah (Friday sermon) and a lot of the first part is the usual stuff.  He starts by encouraging everyone to listen carefully to what he has to say about the words of Allah.  Then he goes into the bismillah, alhamdulillah and blessings upon the Prophet.

He talks about whoever has Allah as his guide doesn't go astray and whomever Allah chooses not to guide, goes astray.  He then goes on for quite a while with what my friends called "the usual khutbah stuff" (as if I would know what they meant! - sorry).

After that he tells the hadith about how Islam started as something strange and is going to become something strange again near the end of time, as a promise from Allah, and if, at that time, you are one of the strange ones, then it is good for you.

The audio gets really bad after that and only the odd words are easy to pick out, even I could understand those, the rest was too hard to make out.  There was something about "after me (meaning Muhammad?) there will be deceiving years when honesty is disbelief and dishonesty is belief, so we figure he was talking a bit about the signs of the end of time.

Sorry, that's all we could make out, perhaps someone with a better ear and patience to listen to his "shouting" might make out a bit more of it.

Either way, it is sure sweet to see such a young boy be able to remember so much and speak in public that way, subhanallah.

Peace, ummziba.

zulqarnain View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zulqarnain Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 April 2006 at 3:12am
Can anyone please translate the sermon promptly? Who knows? Can it be Imam Mehdi?
grant44 View Drop Down
Starter
Starter

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote grant44 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 April 2006 at 5:36am

Hello:

I've never posted at a forum before, so in my ignorance Big smile I assumed if I asked a question I'd get a simple answer.

I was dismayed Cry by all the other responses. To reiterate:

I was beginning to be afraid I was going to have to learn Arabic! LOL

Thanks, ummziba, for the simple answer! Clap

Those emoticons are GRRREAT!Tongue

Grant Wink

ummziba View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Female
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ummziba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 April 2006 at 1:06pm

I will post what the little boy in the video is saying as soon as my friend has written it out for me - patience.

Peace, ummziba.

ak_m_f View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ak_m_f Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 April 2006 at 12:16pm
Originally posted by Mishmish Mishmish wrote:

Assalamu Alaikum AK:

OMG!!! He's talking about the kid on the video.... Hello!!!!

aaaaaaaaa

ok

sorry just woke up
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic