IslamiCity.org Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Religion - Islam > Quran & Sunnah
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Consider Ayat 64, Surat Nisa'i.  What is Islam What is Islam  Donate Donate
  FAQ FAQ  Quran Search Quran Search  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Consider Ayat 64, Surat Nisa'i.

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Abu Fauzi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Consider Ayat 64, Surat Nisa'i.
    Posted: 18 December 2018 at 3:55am
As-Salaam alaikum,

Ayat 64 of Surat Nisa'i of the Holy Qur'an (4:64) reads:--

"If they had only, when they were unjust to themselves,
     come to you and asked Allah's forgiveness, and the
    Messenger had asked forgiveness for them, they would
    have found Allah indeed Oft-Returning and Most-Merciful"

When you visit him in Madinah, Sallallahu alaihi Wasallam, in his Masjid, and greet him, and offer Salaat ala Nabiyy, he would hear you... and there, you may/could seek Allah's Forgiveness for your sins.... and you would be forgiven, as this ayat shows... or even wherever you are, when you seek the Prophet's assistance, you will get it, provided you are sincere and faithful.

Mind the word in the ayat, jaa'ooka... it is in the present tense.. if they COME to you, yaa Muhammad... So, Allah gave a way out for this Ummah. There is no other way except through the Prophet, Sallallahu alaihi Wasallam, just as if you send an e-mail, it has to go through a server before reaching its recipient; similarly Allah made the Prophet the one responsible to carry the Ummah and if you say "astaghfirullah'' it goes to him, alaihi-s-Salaat Was-Salaam, who presents it to Allah Ta'ala. That is why He brought him to Maqama Qaba Qawsayni aw Adnaa.
abuayisha View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Muslim
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote abuayisha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 December 2018 at 8:28am
The ayat is only applicable when the Prophet of Allah was alive. Forgiveness is from Allah, so ask Allah directly, as in surah Fatiha; 'You alone to worship and seek help.'
MIAW View Drop Down
Islam
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MIAW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 December 2018 at 1:02am
Originally posted by abuayisha abuayisha wrote:

The ayat is only applicable when the Prophet of Allah was alive. Forgiveness is from Allah, so ask Allah directly, as in surah Fatiha; 'You alone to worship and seek help.'

Abuayisha,

Jazakallahu Khairan. Spot on!

May Allah subḥānahu wa taāla (glorified and exalted be He) Keep you steadfast on this belief until the day you meet Him. Ameen

MIAW View Drop Down
Islam
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MIAW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 December 2018 at 2:27am
Originally posted by Abu Fauzi Abu Fauzi wrote:

As-Salaam alaikum,

Ayat 64 of Surat Nisa'i of the Holy Qur'an (4:64) reads:--

"If they had only, when they were unjust to themselves,
     come to you and asked Allah's forgiveness, and the
    Messenger had asked forgiveness for them, they would
    have found Allah indeed Oft-Returning and Most-Merciful" 

Wa AlaikumusSalaam,

If you check in all the known Tafasir (Ibn Katheer, Tabari...etc), you will find that this verse (as well as the verses before it) are talking about a particular group of people (Hypocrites and Jews), following a particular incident that happened between those people at the time. It's always a good idea to consider the context.

Quote ... when you seek the Prophet's assistance, you will get it...
If I was you, I would not ask assistance from anyone other than Allah Subhanahu Wa Taala, especially if that person is dead, including our beloved Prophet ﷺ. Otherwise you risk falling into 'Shirk': the only sin that Allah will not Forgive (according to Qur'an 4:48 and 4:116).

Quote ...Mind the word in the ayat, jaa'ooka... it is in the present tense..
Sorry but you're wrong again... it is in the Past Tense.
جاء... جاءوا... جاءوك... all these are in the past tense.
يجيء... يجيؤون... يجيؤونك All these are in the Present (and future) Tense.

And talking of Arabic language, the word إِذ in إِذ ظَّلَمُواْ always renders all actions/incidents around it in any sentence to the Past Tense. I could explain this in a lot more detail, but I won't at this time (unless required to).

Quote ...There is no other way except through the ProphetSallallahu alaihi Wasallam... and if you say "astaghfirullah'' it goes to himalaihi-s-Salaat Was-Salaam, who presents it to Allah Ta'ala...

Subhanallah... Where did you get these statements from, what is the evidence for this? Quran? Hadith Sahih?

Abu Fauzi,

We are meant to understand and apply the Qur'an... as it was understood and applied by the Prophet  and his Sahaba (Companions), arent we??

Well... As the Quran was being revealed, The Sahaba RA understood it very well, and complied with its instructions immediately without hesitation. And here, I am not talking about just one companion or a small group of companions... I mean ALL OF THEM understood it and complied with it instantly. (For example: Prayer prescribed... they all complied, Fasting prescribed... they all fasted, Alcohol prohibited... there were 'rivers' of spilt and discarded wine on the streets of Madeenah...etc). Therefore, if they understood and interpreted this verse (4:64) like you do... then they would all have complied and regularly gone to the prophet's grave after his death (there were at least 124000 of them in the Final Sermon) to do Istighfar... I mean ALL OF THEM. We have no authentic report of even ONE OF THEM having done this!

Furthermore, a person's intention should not be 'to visit the Prophet's grave'. it should be 'to visit the Prophet's Mosque' (according to the known Hadith). However, while at the mosque, you then go to the prophet's grave... and here's what you do:

asep garut View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote asep garut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 December 2018 at 6:28pm

اَلسَّلَامُ عَلَيْكُمْ وَرَحْمَةُ اللَّهِ وَبَرَكَاتُهُ

وَقَالَ رَبُّكُمُ ادْعُونِىٓ �£َسْتَجِبْ لَكُمْ ۚ

“And your Lord said: ‘Invoke Me, I will respond to your invocation!.

(Al Ghafir or Al-Mu’min 40:60)

وَإِذَا سَ�£َلَكَ عِبَادِى عَنِّى فَإِنِّى قَرِيبٌ ۖ �£ُجِيبُ دَعْوَةَ الدَّاعِ إِذَا دَعَانِ ۖ فَلْيَسْتَجِيبُوا۟ لِى وَلْيُؤْمِنُوا۟ بِى لَعَلَّهُمْ يَرْشُدُونَ

And when My slaves as you (O..Muhammad SAW) concerning Me, then (answer them), I am indeed near to them. I respond to the invocations of the supplicant when he calls on Me (directly, without any mediator). So let them obey Me and believe in Me, so that they may be led aright.” (Al Baqarah 2:186)

Narrated by Sahih Muslim No.4832 from Abu Hurairah r.a.

"The Prophet sallallaahu aih alaihi wasallam said: Allah Ta'ala said: I am in accordance with my servant's claim against Me and I am always with him when he remembers Me. When he remembers me in him, then I will remember in himself. When he remembers Me in a human assembly, I will remember him in a group of beings who are better than them. When he approaches me in an inch, I will approach him a cubit. When he approaches me one cubit, then I will approach him as soon as possible. And if he comes to me by walking, then I will come to him by running. "

Both the word of Allah and the hadith show that praying (du'a) to Allah can be done anywhere and without having to use a mediator as an intermediary.

As for those who will pray (du'a) by starting with Salawat Nabi, actually no one forbids, even we are ordered by Allah to do the salawat Nabi.

If we refer to the words of Allah and the Hadith, then pray directly to Allah, because who can grant or not the request of His servants, only Allah is Most Able.

وَهُوَ مَعَكُمْ �£َيْنَ مَا كُنتُمْ ۚ وَاللهُ بِمَا تَعْمَلُونَ بَصِيرٌ

“And He (Allah) is with you wheresoever you may be, and Allah is the All-Seer of what you do.” (Al Hadid 57:4)

Abu Fauzi View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Abu Fauzi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 January 2019 at 10:39pm
As-Salaam alaikum,
 My comments and/or understanding of ayat 64 of Surat Nisa'i above has drawn some comments from Senior Members of the Forum. And further to that, I wish not to argue but to offer/give some additional explanation of what I meant.... by the way no letter or verse/ayat of the Holy Qur'an is limited to just one or two meanings!! The Qur'an is Allah's words... as He is unlimited in His works, so are His words... Tabaraka Wa Ta'ala.

In the Hadith, we have it where the Messenger of Allah, Sallallahu alaihi Wasallam, said:--

"My life is a great good for you: you relate from and narrations are
  related to you, and my death contains good for you as well, for I
  observe the 'amal of my Ummah. If I find good I thank Allah, and
  if I see other than that, bad, I ask forgiveness for you." (al-Bazzar in his Musnad)

Just relate this with ayat 64, Surat Nisa'i, and you will see what I was driving at. This Hadith shows the 'azhamat/greatness of the Prophet, alaihis-Salaaat Was-Salaaam... he knows all of us by name...and checks on our notebooks: how many hasanaat and how many sayyiaat you did. He knows everything about us; in a blink of the eye, he can see the whole creation on earth. He is not like you and I. Allah Ta'ala gave him, Sallallahu alaihi Wasallam, quwwat malakootiyya... Heavenly Power with which he can do this and other similar things!!

In his Tafseer book, Imam Jalaluddin Suyuti, may Allah be Merciful to him, observed that the Prophet, Sallallahu alaihi Wasallam, said:-

"Anaa hayyun tariyyun fee qabree.. I am alive, fresh in my grave".  And he also said:

"No one greets/prays on me except that Allah will send back my
      soul to me, to return his greeting." (Ahmad, Bayhaqi and Abu Dawud).

So, whenever you make salawaat on the Prophet, Sallallahu alaihi Wasallam, we/you must understand that he is looking at you. Just look at his greatness that he sends salawaat on you, he is present for you and he sees you in the same moment... and this is the perspective from which my topic on ayat 64 of Surat Nisa'i stands...

Do accept my best regards.
abuayisha View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Muslim
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote abuayisha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 January 2019 at 8:29am
Wa alaikum salaam,

Sending salaams upon our Messenger (pbuh) is well established and known in our traditions, however him (pbuh) being present and seeing us, knowing our names, checking our notebooks, knowing everything about us, and seeing the whole earth must be supported by textual evidences beyond what you've extrapolated from the three stated sources. And Allah Knows Best.
asep garut View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote asep garut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 January 2019 at 5:43pm

اَلسَّلَامُ عَلَيْكُمْ وَرَحْمَةُ اللَّهِ وَبَرَكَاتُهُ

My Brother Abu Fauzi,

I have stated in the forum that the first source of law for the Islamic ummah is the Quran and the second is the hadith.

You have quoted a hadith as in the article you submitted. Is "Sanad" or its support to the companions of the Prophet Muhammad Sallallaahu ‘alaihi wasallam which one?

Is it to Abu Hurairah, Abdullah bin Umar bin Khatab, Anas bin Malik, Abdullah bin Abbas, Aishah Umul Mu'minin, Abu Sa'id Al-Kudri, Jabir bin Abdillah?

They lived long after the Prophet passed away, that is until the generation of Tabi'in looking for hadith.

It's not true if we accept all hadith as the only source of law because besides there's the attempt to counterfeit the hadith, also there are still collections of hadith that still need to be re-selected, moreover the statement comes from an Imam or Ulil Amr.

Narrated by Imam Muslim from Abu Said Al-Kudri R.A.:

“Rasulullah Sallallaahu ‘alaihi wasallam said:" Do not write these words of mine. Who wrote my words other than the Qur'an, should be abolished, and you may narrate these words of mine, and whoever intentionally lies against me, then he will be placed in.”

Narrated by Imam Bukhari from Abu Hurairah R.A.:

“Whoever the person who lies on my behalf intentionally, then he will be placed in hell.”

Narrated by Imam Muslim from Anas bin Malik R.A.:

“Who is the person who proclaims about me with the hadith that he knows that the news is false (lying), then he is among those who lie.”

However, it is not true if we reject all hadith, because there is an order from Allah Subhanahu Wa Ta'ala to follow the Prophet Sallallaahu ‘alaihi wasallam (Ali‘ Imran 3: 31).

Narrated by Imam Bukhari from Aisyah R.A.:

“It is the Akhlaq (moral) of the Prophet Sallallaahu ‘alaihi wasallam as the contents of the words in the Quran.”

An Najm 53: 3 & 4

“Nor does he speak of (his own) desire. It is only a Revelation revealed.”

Therefore, if we want to test the truth that a hadith is shahih (authentic), then "Matan" or its contents must have the similar meaning as the Quran.

The reason why not all hadiths must be accepted, because besides there's the attempt of forgery there are also some doubts due to the historical process of the codification of the hadith which does not guarantee its authenticity, unlike the assurance of the Quran (Al-Hijr 15: 9)

This Word of Allah is the certificate of guarantee of its authenticity, while for the hadith there is no or need to be proved of truth from the Quran.

At present, not a few of Muslims express their opinions without being supported by their main legal source (the Quran), finally the Muslims are divided, while Allah Subhanahu Wa Ta'ala strongly prohibits divisive Muslims ( as in His Word Al An’am 6:153)

I myself, if I want to do the du'a, I always begin and end with the Salawat Nabiy, and that is just my respect for the Prophet Muhammad Sallallaahu aih alaihi wasallam, besides we are also ordered to do Salawat to him. But that does not mean that he knows all that is in us, and if there is such understanding, then the person is like equating the Prophet with Allah Subhanahu Wa Ta'ala, while he is a human being appointed by Allah to be an Apostle like the other Apostles. If someone thinks that he (Rasulullah Sallallahu 'alaihi wasallam) knows everything that is in us, then it will be contrary to the words of Allah in the Quran.

Today, there are some Muslims who recognize that the imam is the angel Gabriel, the Prophet, Al Mahdi, and even claims to be able to meet directly to see the face of Allah anytime in a state of awake. Na'udzubillahi min dzalik.

Allah is All-Knowing.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic