IslamiCity.org Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Religion - Islam > Islam for non-Muslims
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - derogatory remarks  What is Islam What is Islam  Donate Donate
  FAQ FAQ  Quran Search Quran Search  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

derogatory remarks

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote superme Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 April 2006 at 12:08am

As a teacher under pay roll he or she can't use this kind of terminology. The pupils are the children of the tax payers. The teachers duties are to teach, unless if the US rules and regulations are different than that outside worlds, than what can you do?

salman View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote salman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 April 2006 at 4:41am

Originally posted by ailsa ailsa wrote:

My daughter came home yesterday  from school and reported that her history teacher had referred to mulims as "towelheads"  I find that extremely offensive and her father and I promptly sent a letter to the school principal.  He seems to think its "not that bad"  I would like some advice on similar situations.  Maybe a muslim would be able to advise on the right course of action.  If you wouldn't make a stink about it...should I??

Thank you,
Shannon

are you a muslim?

It is better to be alone than to be in bad company.
ailsa View Drop Down
Starter
Starter
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ailsa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 April 2006 at 4:43am
I am not a muslim but it was suggested to me that if a muslim wouldn't go as far as the school board or media perhaps myself, as a nonmuslim, shouldn't push as far.  I was totally shocked and disgusted at the level of insensitivity and my first instinct is not to let it stand.

So, that is why I'm here for advice.

Shannon
salman View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote salman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 April 2006 at 4:45am
this is an offence to muslims. you are not a muslim. you being a non-muslim, if you are feeling bad that no action is being taken, the best thing to do is to give resignation letter to school principal.
It is better to be alone than to be in bad company.
Mishmish View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mishmish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 April 2006 at 11:23am

Shannon:

It doesn't matter if you are a Muslim or not. Some of the posters on this forum are from majority Muslim countries where this type of thing would never occur, or where you just go into the school and complain and the teacher is reprimanded or fired. The system here is entirely different.

I think it is so important for all of us who find this offensive to say that we jsut won't allow it anymore. It is especially important for non-Muslims to speak out because when Mulsim do people feel we have a vested interest. When non-Muslims do it shows that this behavior is just wrong.

Many Muslim parents I know are personally going through this very same struggle. Most just end up pulling their children from the schools and home schooling bacause they are alone. You don't know how much you and people like you can help just by making the complaints and saying this is not how I want my child to believe.

Please contact CAIR and let them help you. You would be helping so many others in the process.

Thank you,

Dwanna

It is only with the heart that one can see clearly, what is essential is invisible to the eye. (The Little Prince)
ailsa View Drop Down
Starter
Starter
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ailsa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 April 2006 at 12:01pm
Thank you Dwanna.  I did send an email to CAIR but haven't yet heard from them.  Hopefully soon though.

I spoke with the principal today and he has told me that the teacher's discipline is a private issue and he can't discuss it with me or even whether or not it will take place. 

I told him that the very least, she should have sensitivity training.  He wouldn't comment on that.  I also stated that some children thought that this slur was funny.  I also suggested to him that the children need some type of class or speaker to come to them and let them know that this is wrong and why its wrong.

I also said to him that had any teacher said the "n word" in reference to the Civil war and slavery, they would have been reprimanded and most likely suspended IMMEDIATELY.  Why is this any different??

He said that there were differing opinions on the context of the statement thought my daughter wrote it down word for word as soon as she said it.  I do understand that you can't go on the word of one child but there were others.  He stated he would speak with them when possible.

I found out from my daughter this afternoon that when he called the children to speak with them, rather than ask about the context, he asked if anyone was "out to get" the teacher or trying to "get her in trouble" with this.

I'm afraid that this means it won't be taken seriously.  They are out of school next week for a spring break but I said I wanted to hear results the following week.  If I don't have them I will have no choice but to go to the school board. 

My sister is an attorney and my brother is a journalist so I've had opinions from them on courses of action as well.

I do, again, thank you all for your help.

Shannon
Hayfa View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Female
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hayfa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 April 2006 at 9:55am

Well, this is clearly unproffesional of the staff at the school to generalize and use name calling for any group of people. They should be far more interested is their own education. But many people cannot take feedback/ criticism.

one thing that is useful is that they certainly won't like publicity.. Exposure is the worst thing. If they don't make progress it should be made public.  I live here in DC and would not mind writing a letter to the newspaper. You then CC the school board.. I tell you, in my activism work, it can have a profound effect.

The fact you are not Moslem, actually, sad to say, will actually be more powerful. You are standing up for an injustice that does not necessarily affect you or your children directly.

I think it is great.

Hayfa

When you do things from your soul, you feel a river moving in you, a joy. Rumi
Angel View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Angel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 April 2006 at 5:42am
perhaps you should name call him back  and if he doesn't like it, well you can say to him, touche  get my point now!  
~ Our feet are earthbound, but our hearts and our minds have wings ~
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic