IslamiCity.org Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Religion - Islam > Islam for non-Muslims
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - What is Allah?  What is Islam What is Islam  Donate Donate
  FAQ FAQ  Quran Search Quran Search  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

What is Allah?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CmdrTako Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: What is Allah?
    Posted: 20 October 2018 at 3:44am
From what I could find out Allah translates as "the deity" Do Muslims have other ways they refer to Allah? like how the Christians call it "The Lord" or Sikhs call it, "Waheguru"?

And what do the Muslims mean by deity?

The common definition of god is a spiritual being that you venerate. This is why Judism and Christianity are called monotheistic, they only warship one god even though they believe their are other gods "Thou shalt have no other gods before Me". But Zoroastrianism, the first monotheistic religion, had many Yazatas, that originated from Ahura Mazda. Hindism has Para Brahman from which all is created like Ahura Mazda but there 'god' seems to mean a spiritual being you do Supplications to. But in Egypt people didn't supplicate the gods but to demons, to the Egyptians gods where the laborers that ran the universe.

So what exactly do muslims mean by one god?

I'm especially interested is how the Islamic concept of god fits into the Gnosticism cosmology. is Allah the Demiurge or Theletos or is it to alien to compare?
Dr. Aslam View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Male Islam
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dr. Aslam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 July 2019 at 3:15pm
wa alaikum salam
Allah is an Arabic term. All languages have their specific term for Allah. English has God, punjabi has waheguru etc.
What is important is the concept behind these terms.The Islamic concept of Allah is that Allah is unique, and there is none like Allah.
He is the creator of the universe and its master.
Aslam
Best Regards,
Aslam Abdullah
NABA View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Male
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NABA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 October 2019 at 8:51pm
We believe Allah is one he is eternal he is neither born nor give birth there is nothing like him
Noor-e-hidayat View Drop Down
Male Islam
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Noor-e-hidayat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 October 2019 at 3:38am
ALLAH, GOD, LORD, Waheguru are the different terms to call the same ideology which is that who is our creater deserves to worship him....now after when we go in religionism there becomes differences in believes and thoughts  like Hinduism says there are other different Gods who help us in different ways to accomplish and help us in our routine work. 
Islam is the religion of peace and muslims believe and have faith in singularity of the Allah despite of other religions which has many gods to whom they worship.
CmdrTako View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CmdrTako Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 October 2019 at 9:23pm
Thanks for your reply I was thinking that my post was never going to be approved.

While Islam teaches to never start violence it doesn't exactly teach to make peace with your enemies, unless like Abraham Lincoln, who while delivering a speech at the height of the Civil War, referred to the Southerners as fellow human beings who were in error. An elderly lady chastised him for not calling them irreconcilable enemies who must be destroyed. “Why, madam,” Lincoln replied, “do I not destroy my enemies when I make them my friends?”

I've been given plenty of references to the Quran that supports that you shouldn't stop fighting until everyone of your enemies is destroyed, but where does it say to that making them your friend is destroying your enemy?
MIAW View Drop Down
Islam
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MIAW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 October 2019 at 7:57am
Originally posted by CmdrTako CmdrTako wrote:

...So what exactly do muslims mean by one god?...

Here are some short videos that explain the concept of Allah in Islam. Worth watching I think (especially the 3rd one):

NABA View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Male
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NABA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 October 2019 at 9:19pm
Allah in ch 41 v 34 of Quran says good and evil are not alike,always do good in response to bad and then you will see your enemy becomes your best friend.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic