IslamiCity.org Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Religion - Islam > General Islamic Matter
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Do you have the winter blues?  What is Islam What is Islam  Donate Donate
  FAQ FAQ  Quran Search Quran Search  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Do you have the winter blues?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Islam
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MIAW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Do you have the winter blues?
    Posted: 12 October 2018 at 2:37am
 Assalamu 'Alaikum,

Lots of people get depressed in winter, or suffer from the "winter blues". The medical name for this winter depression is seasonal affective disorder (SAD).

However, in Islam, we do not get winter blues (or at least we are not supposed to)... in fact: we look forward to the dark, cold winter months. How is that?...

Winter in Islam is called 'The cold booty'... meaning the 'season of easy rewards'... 

Throughout the history of Islam, winter has always been a 'happy' season because the days become shorter (and therefore it is easier to perform voluntary fasting), and the nights become longer (and therefore it is easier to offer voluntary 'night prayers').

I personally think that one of the most satisfying and rewarding acts that anyone can perform... is to 'peel yourself away' from your lovely cosy warm bed... do wudhu (ablution wash)... and then have a 'one-to-one' with The Lord Of The Worlds Allah SWT, whereby you pray, repent and ask for forgiveness from your previous daily sins, read and study Qur'an, make Du'aa, reflect on your life and priorities, thank Allah SWT for all the Blessings and Favours that He Has Bestowed on you while remembering others from around the world (Muslims and Non-muslims) who are a lot less fortunate than yourself...etc... [all this while everyone else is having a 'whale of a time' enjoying a cosy sleep in the darkest and coldest hours of the night!].

So what can you do?...

1) Fast at least 3 days every Islamic month. The best days to fast are 13th, 14th and 15th (of each month in the Islamic calendar), and also Mondays and Thursdays, to follow the Sunnah of your Prophet (you will find that it is easy... all you are doing more or less is 'skipping lunch'..)

2) Get up 1 hour before Fajr prayer, do Wudhu and pray ...etc.

3) Do Istighfar (Asking for forgiveness), so that your name will be included with those mentioned in the following verse: Qur'an [3:17]:

The patient, the true, the obedient, those who spend [in the way of Allah], and those who seek forgiveness before dawn.

4) Practice reciting the Qur'an that you know by heart, and learn new chapters (Surah).

Wassalam
MIAW

Tim the plumber View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Male
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tim the plumber Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 October 2018 at 1:56am
Can i reccomend using sunbeds. The stand up ones are the best.

The lack of vitamin D may well be the biggest thing about SAD. On blast in the sunbed tanning thingy per month and I feel refreshed.

Vitamin D is made in our skin by exposure to sunshine of UV of a sun bed.
asep garut View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote asep garut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 October 2018 at 6:46am
Good posting MIAW ...
May Allah Subhanahu Wa Ta'ala always give us His grace and protection. Aamiin.
MIAW View Drop Down
Islam
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MIAW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 October 2018 at 9:23pm
Originally posted by asep garut asep garut wrote:

Good posting MIAW ...
May Allah Subhanahu Wa Ta'ala always give us His grace and protection. Aamiin.

Aameen. Jazakallahu Khairan Asep.
MIAW View Drop Down
Islam
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MIAW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 October 2019 at 11:01pm
Originally posted by Tim the plumber Tim the plumber wrote:

Can i reccomend using sunbeds. The stand up ones are the best.

The lack of vitamin D may well be the biggest thing about SAD. On blast in the sunbed tanning thingy per month and I feel refreshed.

Vitamin D is made in our skin by exposure to sunshine of UV of a sun bed.

Thank you Tim. I shall try your suggestion, as well as what I have written in my first post above. Smile

MIAW View Drop Down
Islam
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MIAW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 October 2021 at 9:35pm

REMINDER:

With winter approaching fast, the days becoming shorter and the nights longer... see post 1 above for how to prepare for great rewards!!...
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic