IslamiCity.org Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Science & Technology
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Is that true that this Universe like a horn?  What is Islam What is Islam  Donate Donate
  FAQ FAQ  Quran Search Quran Search  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Is that true that this Universe like a horn?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote asep garut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Is that true that this Universe like a horn?
    Posted: 31 July 2018 at 5:44pm
I am a Muslim who supports science and technology, and I read articles about the universe from scientists as follows:

------------

The universe - all that ever was, is or will be - could literally be a horn of plenty, according to German cosmologists. The cosmos could be stretched out like a long trumpet, infinitely long and narrow at one end, finite but flaring out like a horn at the end that humans can see now.

This is the shape of creation, known as a Picard topology, that makes most sense to Professor Frank Steiner, a theoretical physicist at the University of Ulm in Germany.

According to New Scientist today, a funnel-shaped universe best explains the pattern of cosmic background radiation observed when the universe was only about 380,000 years old.

This picture of early radiation, made by Nasa's Wilkinson microwave anistropy probe last year, has already helped answer some key questions about the history of time, space and everything. It helped pin the moment of creation to around 13.7 bn years ago. It helped confirm the proportions of the universe as 4% matter, 23% dark or undetectable matter and 73% something mysterious called quintessence, vacuum energy or dark energy. And it has raised once again the vexing question of the shape of the universe.

Even before cosmologists knew about the Big Bang, they had started worrying about the shape of spacetime. Did it stretch on forever, or was there a boundary? Einstein played with the idea of a negatively curved or saddle-shaped universe. Others wondered if it might be toroidal or doughnut shaped, so that it would seem to go on forever.

Last year, a New York team speculated that the universe might really be quite small, but shaped like an endlessly repeating set of dodecahedrons or soccer balls, so that a journey of 60bn light years in one direction would bring a traveller back to Earth, like a circumnavigation of the globe. Light travels in a straight line through space, but if space was crumpled or folded back on itself, galaxies might be quite close.

Prof Steiner's universal horn is another possible answer to the great spacetime riddle. A spacecraft could go on forever - but if it reached the flared end of the horn, it would start travelling back in on the opposite side. This shape is not the onlyrecent suggestion: a few months ago, a Pennsylvania team proposed a universe that looked like a squashed sphere.

"I made the comment that it is as though God carefully made the universe and then dropped it," says Paul Davies, a cosmologist now based at Macquarie University in Australia. "Until now, most serious cosmological models have assumed simple geometries and topologies: spatially flat and infinite, saddle-shaped and infinite or spherical and finite.

"But that hasn't stopped theorists exploring the properties of all sorts of weirdo shapes. Anyway, the universe can have a shape and still be infinite."

------------------------

In the "flat" space of conventional cosmology, small "blobs" - hot and cold spots - in background radiation should be round. But observations show that instead they are ellipses. The curve of a horn-shaped universe can explain this, says Professor Steiner.

The "space" in any small part of the "horn" is saddle-shaped, like a Pringles potato crisp. Such a "negatively curved" space would act as a warped lens, distorting the image around the blobs so they look elliptical to astronomers.

Another property of a "trumpet" universe would be that large blobs more than about 60 degrees across would be absent. So far, scientists have also found this to be the case.

But if the team at Ulm is right, scientists will have to abandon one of the fundamental tenets of cosmology - that all parts of the cosmos are about the same. Holger Then, a member of Professor Steiner's team, told New Scientist : "If one happens to find oneself a long way up the narrow end of the horn, things indeed look very strange, with two very small dimensions."

At an extreme enough point, you would be able to see the back of your own head. Over the next year or so, astronomers will test whether large blobs really are lacking in cosmic microwave background radiation and small ones really are elliptical.

-----------------

My note:

It seems that Professor Steiner argues about the possibility of the universe being shaped like a horn (trumpet). Is that true ?

I want to get the answers from astronomers because I will compare them with my knowledge in the teachings of Islam. thanks.

Tim the plumber View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Male
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tim the plumber Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 August 2018 at 9:38am
High level physics is bad for you head.

The universe they aretalking about has more than 3 dimensions plus time.

Sadly this is the same universe as ours. But not things we need to worry about, just let them go on and deal with the good things they might one day come out with by understanding it all.
asep garut View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote asep garut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 August 2018 at 2:46am
If there are no astronomers who could not comment on my question, then according to what I got from the Quran and hadith that the universe is like a horn / trumpet, that is true, and outside the universe there is only wider darkness from this universe, hopefully astronomers can find other things, because for my ownself it would add to my faith that 14 centuries ago the Quran and the Prophet Muhammad had stated such thing.
Senior  Member
Male
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tim the plumber Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 August 2018 at 9:10am
Originally posted by asep garut asep garut wrote:

If there are no astronomers who could not comment on my question, then according to what I got from the Quran and hadith that the universe is like a horn / trumpet, that is true, and outside the universe there is only wider darkness from this universe, hopefully astronomers can find other things, because for my ownself it would add to my faith that 14 centuries ago the Quran and the Prophet Muhammad had stated such thing.

The astronomers cannot comment, yet, on any "out of the universe" at all.

There may be something beyond/outside/greater or whatever than this universe. We don't know.

What is known is the the trumpet idea is involving more dimensions than we are concious of. Don't worry about it, or think about it, it only makes sense in a maths way. Disapiontingly lots of physics stuff that only works in maths is used tp very successfully predict events in the real world. Events like when will a star go supernova.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote asep garut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 August 2018 at 6:12pm
Originally posted by Tim the plumber Tim the plumber wrote:

There may be something beyond/outside/greater or whatever than this universe. We don't know.

What is known is the the trumpet idea is involving more dimensions than we are concious of. Don't worry about it, or think about it, it only makes sense in a maths way. Disapiontingly lots of physics stuff that only works in maths is used tp very successfully predict events in the real world. Events like when will a star go supernova.

Yes, hopefully they (astronomers) can find somethings else outside of space there. Thanks.
Senior  Member
Male
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tim the plumber Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 August 2018 at 6:30am

Originally posted by Tim the plumber Tim the plumber wrote:

Yes, hopefully they (astronomers) can find somethings else outside of space there. Thanks.

You might not like what they find.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote asep garut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 August 2018 at 9:35am
I once said in this forum that I am a Muslim who supports science on the grounds that in the Quran there are many verses of kauniyah, that are verses that inform about something which have relation with science.
Senior  Member
Male
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tim the plumber Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 August 2018 at 1:50pm

I once said in this forum that I am a Muslim who supports science on the grounds that in the Quran there are many verses of kauniyah, that are verses that inform about something which have relation with science.

And the great mass of understnding of the universe that says that all religions have got almost all of thier attempted science utterly wrong.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic