IslamiCity.org Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Religion - Islam > General Islamic Matter
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Dogs  What is Islam What is Islam  Donate Donate
  FAQ FAQ  Quran Search Quran Search  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Dogs

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Starter.
Starter.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote geralde.givens Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Dogs
    Posted: 17 June 2018 at 9:01am
I am a Muslim who really loves dogs

Many fellow Muslims tell me that it is not okay to have it in the house because it prevents god�s angels (Malaika) from coming in.

And honestly I don�t believe that we can�t have these amazing pets in the house!

The men of the cave had a dog, and this dog is promised heaven.  And to emphasize, the dog was INSIDE the cave and not outside.  You mean to tell me that the angels didn�t enter the cave?????

Everywhere you find humans you will find dogs and dog�s licking is not harmful to humans at all.

Finally logically, why would god make a beautiful pet that is pack oriented and that would take a bullet for you and not allow us to have it in our homes?

Thoughts?

Faaiz Rosli View Drop Down
Male
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Faaiz Rosli Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 June 2018 at 5:21pm
Well said. I believe that Dogs are indeed lovely creatures, and sometimes hope that my cat would one day take a bullet for me as well... :)

Note that Islam has various Schools of Jurisprudence, and one of them is the Maliki school which its jurists consider dogs to be ritually clean and can be touched. I have a few muslim friends who have dogs at home.

There are hadiths saying that Angels do not enter homes with dogs in them. 
What is meant by the Angels in this hadiths are Angels that roam around and travel about, not the recording Angels.

Islam does not show hatred for this lovely creatures, and it being ritually impure is not stated in the Quran. God created them with beauty. A scholar once kissed a dog, showing his gratefulness in God's creations.

I love dogs, but I love cats more. :)
Allah knows best.

P.s. from what I learned, the dogs were outside the caves.. but ill check with my teachers :)
Abu Fauzi View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Abu Fauzi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 December 2018 at 11:04pm
As-Salaam alaikum,
  To a large extent, I am with Sayyadi Sultan Bahu, may Allah be Merciful to him, on this matter, who in his book titled: 'AIN AL-FAQR' stated that when the Prophet, Sallallahu alaihi Wasallam, said that angels do not "enter the house where there is a dog" to Sufis and those who know Allah well 'enough' the house in this case is the heart.

The heart is like a house and Remembrance [of Allah] is like an angel and the lower self [ego] is like a dog. The heart which is obsessed with love of the world and the darkness of the develish caprices- full of evil desires- never finds the Grace of Allah, the Most High Lord of the Universe.

You may refer to the book... AIN AL-FAQR... for further reading on this, please.
Best Wishes.

MIAW View Drop Down
Islam
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MIAW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 December 2018 at 5:05am
Originally posted by Abu Fauzi Abu Fauzi wrote:

...Sayyadi Sultan Bahu... in his book titled: 'AIN AL-FAQR' stated that when the Prophet, Sallallahu alaihi Wasallam, said that angels do not "enter the house where there is a dog" to Sufis and those who know Allah well 'enough' the house in this case is the heart.

The heart is like a house and Remembrance [of Allah] is like an angel and the lower self [ego] is like a dog. The heart which is obsessed with love of the world and the darkness of the develish caprices- full of evil desires- never finds the Grace of Allah, the Most High Lord of the Universe.

You may refer to the book... AIN AL-FAQR... for further reading on this, please.

Wa AlaikasSalam
So according to your master https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sultan_Bahu  , our Prophet  was talking to his companions in 'riddles' (i.e. whenever he said something... he meant something else).  

For your information, our Prophet  spoke to his companions in his and their language (Arabic), and they understood him instantly... without the need for going around 'replacing' words and 'adjusting' meanings. This is how it has been handed down to us by the best 3 generations, and this is how millions of scholars an billions of Muslims who know Allah, the prophet and their deen very well understood it in the past 15 centuries.

I know this can be very hard to understand, but...

a 'dog' means... a dog
an 'Angel' means.... an angel
a 'house' means... a house.

If our Prophet  wanted to say the things (interpretations) you mentioned above, then what would stop him from saying them??  

Rather than finding 'alternatives' to meanings of words, it is better to turn to what people of knowledge  (prominent scholars) have said about this subject. One would find that there are some differences of opinion... such as in: https://archive.islamonline.net/?p=1244

Or this excerpt from Islamqa:

Is it permissible to keep dogs to guard houses? 

Answer: 

The Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) made only three exceptions to the prohibition on keeping dogs: hunting, guarding livestock and guarding crops. 

Some scholars are of the view that it is not permissible to keep a dog for any reason other than these three. Others are of the view that it is permissible to draw analogies between these three and similar or more likely cases, such as guarding houses, because if it is permissible to keep dogs to guard livestock and crops, it is more appropriate that it should be permissible to keep dogs to guard houses. 

Al-Nawawi said in Sharh Muslim (10/340): 

Is it permissible to keep a dog to guard houses, alleys and the like? There are two points of view. The first is that it is not permissible, because of the apparent meaning of the ahaadeeth, which clearly state that keeping dogs is forbidden except for farming, hunting and herding. The more correct view is that it is permissible, by analogy with those three cases, knowing that the reason that is understood from the ahaadeeth is necessity. End quote. 

The view that was classed as saheeh by al-Nawawi (may Allaah have mercy on him), that keeping a dog to guard the house is permissible, was also classed as saheeh by Shaykh Ibn ‘Uthaymeen (may Allaah have mercy on him) in Sharh Saheeh Muslim. He said: 

The correct view is that it is permissible to keep a dog to guard the house, because if it is permissible to keep a dog in order to benefit from it, as in the case of hunting, it is more appropriate that one be allowed to keep a dog in order to ward off harm and protect oneself.

End quote.

Just thinking...from what I can see (above), these scholarly opinions are talking about the permissibility of WHETHER to keep a dog, but not WHERE to keep it... i.e. do you keep it inside the house with you? in your kitchen? in your living room? is it allowed in bed with you? at the dinner table with you?(Oh yeah... some people do all these Smile )... i.e. if you go with the 'permissible' opinion, does it mean inside these rooms? as it raises many questions and where do you draw the line?... I think (if you must, then...) you should keep it outside, and take measures for freezing cold weather?

asep garut View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote asep garut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 December 2018 at 4:38pm

اَلسَّلَامُ عَلَيْكُمْ وَرَحْمَةُ اللَّهِ وَبَرَكَاتُهُ

Allow me to add in this case.

Thank you MIAW, ... you have provided a detailed explanation.

Here allow me to add a little that everything created by Allah Subhanahu Wa Ta'ala is not in vain, there will certainly be benefits, including about "dogs", depending on how to treat such the dog (MIAW has explained it in detail)

رَبَّنَا مَا خَلَقْتَ هٰذَا بٰطِلًا سُبْحٰنَكَ فَقِنَا عَذَابَ النَّارِ

“...O..our Lord! You have not created (all) this without purpose, glory to You! Give us salvation from the torment of the fire.” (Quran 3:191)

My brother Abu Fauzi,

How perfect, if there are statements of hadith and fatwas from the ulama/imam complemented by the word of Allah, so that it will strengthen that hadith and fatwa.

I apologize, I do not intend to patronize but only carry out the commands of Allah in Al Ma'idah 5: 2

وَتَعَاوَنُوا۟ عَلَى الْبِرِّ وَالتَّقْوَىٰ ۖ

“Help you one another in Al-Birr and At-Taqwa (virtue, righteousness and piety)..”

Wallahu bi shawab.

Abu Fauzi View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Abu Fauzi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 January 2019 at 1:22pm
As-Salaam alaikum,
 My comments on the above topic on 'Dogs' started by Gerald Givens has earned me 'knocks' from 2 Seniors on the Forum.. MIAW and Asep Garut. In view of that, I wish to state that I stand by every word I said therein... in spirit and letter.

I wish the duo who bashed my observations... to which they are fully entitled, have read my Master's Book, ''AIN AL-FAQR''... instead of just writing him off. Sayyadi Sultan Bahu's book was/is about the inner dimension of Islam ... the mystical significance of the Unity of Allah, Jallah-Jalalahu. Without finding out what he meant about 'keeping dogs', I think it is unfair to just brush him aside.

Rather than provide alternatives to words of Hadith and/or the Qur'an, MIAW suggests that I turn to ''people of knowledge''.  That is okay, but he forgot to tell me which of the 2 kinds of knowledge I should turn to in this particular case... because I am well aware that there are 2 kinds of knowledge possessed  by the Noble Messenger of Allah, Sallallahu alaihi Wasallam: One which he freely gave to the common lot of believers and the other which he revealed only to select group of the Sahaaba.

The implication, of course, is that the latter was mystical or esoteric in nature. This was why Abu Hurairah (d. 861) , may Allah be pleased with him, was quoted saying: "I have preserved from the Messenger of Allah 2 vessels (of knowledge), one from which I have freely given you, but were I to disseminate (what is in) the other, this throat (pointing to his neck) would be cut off (laquti'a hazal hulqum)"...

And also Sayyadi Hudhayfa bin al-Yamani (d. 657) was another companion to whom the Prophet revealed not only the identities of the hypocrites, but more importantly, the mysteries of knowledge, subtleties of understanding and secrets of certainty.

May be Sayyadi Sultan Bahu was speaking in his book, Ain al-Faqr, from esoteric knowledge standpoint... thus some people not given to that, are likely to write him off.....
asep garut View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote asep garut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 January 2019 at 8:19am

اَلسَّلَامُ عَلَيْكُمْ وَرَحْمَةُ اللَّهِ وَبَرَكَاتُهُ

My brothers in faith,

Regarding the problem of raising dogs as stated by Gerald Givens, it all return to our understanding of addressing a difference in the Hadith and fatwas of our respective Imams.

If there are doubts, then leave such the dog.

If there are no doubts, please keep the dog as long as we don't violate the Quran and the Hadith.

One of the most important is, do not let the ikhtilaf (differences of opinion) lead to the emergence of the Iftiraqul-ummah (division within the ummah).

Wallahu bi shawab.

yandex View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yandex Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 January 2019 at 8:47pm
Black dogs are Shaitan according to the Prophet.

t was narrated that Abu Dharr said:
“I asked the Messenger of Allah (ﷺ) about the all-black dog and he said: ‘(It is) a devil.’”

Sunan Ibn Majah » Chapters on Hunting
Vol. 4, Book 28, Hadith 3210
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic