IslamiCity.org Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > General Discussion
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Greek god; use of English  What is Islam What is Islam  Donate Donate
  FAQ FAQ  Quran Search Quran Search  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Greek god; use of English

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Starter.
Starter.
Male
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike0183 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Greek god; use of English
    Posted: 10 June 2018 at 5:08am
I'm on a software project, working on a new product, and 1) one of the most active of those on the project wants to use for the name of the software the name of a Greek god.   Would that discourage Muslims from using the software?    A few of them, many, most, nearly all? 

Writing this software will be a lot of work, and not everyone will like it anyhow, but I don't want to use a name that will cut down on the software's acceptance even before they people try it.

2) The first draft of the program will use only the Latin alphabet plus those same letters with accents and squiggles (like for French or Spanish), and will only write from left to right.    Someone on the project says that means that Muslims won't be using it anyhow, regardless of its name.  

a) I know there are countries like Pakistan, India, Nigeria where there are a large number of English speakers and a large number of Muslims, but I don't know how many people are both, Muslim English speakers, who might use this software.   ??

b) Plus I know there is a lot of English in former British-dominated areas like iirc Saudi Arabia, Egypt, Sudan,   I'm sure there is software there that works with Arabic.  Can I assume that the same software works with English when desired and people would not change to a Latin-only program for their English uses when they can use the same program they're using for Arabic?   Or might they use both?

c) Then there is Indonesia and Malaysia, etc.   Hmmm. It says that English is the official language of Malaysia so maybe it should be in the question with Pakistan.   But wrt Indonesia and maybe Malaysia, is English used very much, maybe for international business and social uses?

Do all these groups contain a lot of people who might use the software, but won't if it's named after a Greek god?

Thanks in advance,
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic