IslamiCity.org Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Religion - Islam > General Islamic Matter
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Chapter titles in Qu'ran  What is Islam What is Islam  Donate Donate
  FAQ FAQ  Quran Search Quran Search  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Chapter titles in Qu'ran

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Senior  Member
Male Christian
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DavidC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Chapter titles in Qu'ran
    Posted: 02 April 2018 at 1:30pm
Would someone please comment on the Qur'an's chapter titles and how they relate to the content of each chapter?

Christian; Wesleyan M.Div.
asep garut View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote asep garut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 April 2018 at 8:35pm
Originally posted by DavidC DavidC wrote:

Would someone please comment on the Qur'an's chapter titles and how they relate to the content of each chapter?

DavidC, hopefully the following description can answer what you ask.

The Qur'an consists of 114 surah, 30 juz and 6236 verses, every chapter in the Qur'an consists of a number of verses, ranging from surahs consisting of three verses; ie Surah Al-Kautsar, An-Nasr and Al-Asr, until the sura reaches 286 verses (Al Baqarah).

All Surahs are generally divided into sub-sections called ruku'.

Lafadz Bismillahirahmanirrahim (بسم الله الرحمن الرحيم) is a feature of almost all the opening surahs in the Qur'an other than Surah At-Taubah. Nevertheless, there are 114 lafadz Bismillahirmanmanirrahim equivalent to the number of 114 surahs in the Qur'an, since this lafadz is mentioned twice in Surah An-Naml, ie in the opening section of the sura as well as in the 30th verse relating to a letter from Prophet Sulayman to the queen of Saba.

Distribution of surahs based on the places where the words of Allah were revealed.

The verse that was revealed in Mecca was called Makiyah's verse, and the one derived in Madinah was called Madaniyah. The surah that descended on Mecca was generally surahs with a small number of verses, containing the principles of faith and morality, while the surahs that descend on Medina in general have a large number of verses, containing the rules that govern one's relationship with Allah, or someone with others (shari'ah) or other discussions.

In terms of number of verses, the suras in the Qur'an are divided into four parts.

1.    Al-Sab' al-ṭiwāl (seven long surahs), six of which are surah Al-Baqarah, Ali Imran, An-Nisaa ', Al-A'raaf, Al-An'aam, and Al Maa-idah. The seventh chapter is Surah Al-Anfal and Surah At-Taubah as well.

2.    Al-Mi'ūn (a hundred verses more), such as Asy-Syu'ara, Hud, Yusuf, Al-Mu'min, As-Saffat, Ta Ha, An-Nahl, Al-Anbiya, Al-Isra and Al-Kahfi.

3.    Al-Maṡānī (less than a hundred verses), such as Al-Anfaal, Al-Hijr. Maryam, Al-Waqi'ah, An-Naml, Az-Zukhruf, Al-Qasas, Shaad, Al-Mu'minun, Yasin etc.

4.    Al-Mufa�£�£al (short verses), such as Adh-Dhuha, Al-Ikhlas, Al-Falaq, An-Nas etc.

The naming of surahs in the Qur'an and its reasons

Surah Al Fatihah

Named the surah "Al Fatihah" (opening) because with this surah opened and started the Qur'an. It's also called "Ummul Qur'an" or "Ummul Kitab" because he is the parent of all the contents of the Qur'an and it is the essence. Also called "as Sab'ul Matsaany" (seven recurring) because of the seven verses and read repeatedly in the prayer.

Surah Al Baqarah

Named the surah "Al Baqarah" (female cow) because in it is mentioned the story of the slaughter of a female cow commanded by Allah to the Bani of Isra'il (verse 67-74). It is also named "Fusthaatul-Qur'an" (top of the Qur'an) because it contains some laws which not mentioned in other surahs. Named also with the letter "Alif Lam Mim" because it's started with that. Etc.

The person who gave the name of the surahs in the Qur'an

Imam Ibnu Jarir at-Thabari said:

“All the surahs in the Qur'an have the name given by the Prophet sallallaahu 'alaihi wa sallam.” (Jami’ al-Bayan fi Ta’wil al-Quran, 1/100)

Similarly, the opinion of Shaykh Sulaiman al-Bajirami said:

"The names of surahs, based on the instructions of the Prophet sallallaahu 'alaihi wa sallam. Because the names of the surahs, the order of surahs, and the order of the verses, these three things are all based on the guidance of the Prophet sallallaahu 'alaihi wa sallam with the guidance of Gabriel that the systematic of the Qur'an in Lauhul Mahfudz is like that. "(Tuhfah al-Habib 'ala Syarh al-Khatib, 4/222).

I personally agree with them, arguing that the Qur'an as the Holy Scriptures in which there are the Words of Allah, then all the names of the surahs, the boundaries of each letters and the composition of its verses are according to the provisions that have been established and taught directly by the Prophet Muhammad himself based on the direction of Allah through the angel Gabriel. In other words, the Qur'an should be no other human intervention at all, according to the understanding of the meaning of the word of Allah (15:9)

DavidC View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Male Christian
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DavidC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 April 2018 at 4:06am
Thank you, Asep. I always learn much from your detailed and carefully crafted posts.
asep garut View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote asep garut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 April 2018 at 4:31pm

Thank you, Asep. I always learn much from your detailed and carefully crafted posts.

You're welcome DavidC, I also apologize because my knowledge is still limited, so that's all I just can give to you. Thanks.
DavidC View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Male Christian
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DavidC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 April 2018 at 2:57pm
Originally posted by asep garut asep garut wrote:

You're welcome DavidC, I also apologize because my knowledge is still limited, so that's all I just can give to you. Thanks.

I understand maybe 10% of what you post. I know the details are for lurkers and more serious students of Islam, and that a good post like that is a lot of work.

I can see the scholastic logic behind what you write even if I do not follow every point. It is all quite rewarding. Good work!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic