IslamiCity.org Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Religion - Islam > Interfaith Dialogue
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Who is the comforter  What is Islam What is Islam  Donate Donate
  FAQ FAQ  Quran Search Quran Search  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Who is the comforter

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 45678 14>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 2Acts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2018 at 2:17pm
Originally posted by JerryMyers JerryMyers wrote:

Originally posted by 2Acts 2Acts wrote:

You are wrong where you say Muslims never re-fer to the Bible to seek the truth of God. Your Quran validates the Bible as truth. For example-
And in their footsteps, We sent 'Iesa (Jesus), son of Maryam (Mary) confirming the Taurat (Torah) that had come before him, and We gave him the Injeel (Gospel), in which was guidance and light and confirmation of the Taurat (Torah) that had come before it, a guidance and an admonition for Al-Muttaqun S. 5:46. S. 57:27

The Quran in 10. 94 states If you have any doubts in the Quran which I give you go and read the Bible or ask those who read the Bible

Thus, the Qur'an sees itself as the guardian of the message of all scripture: To thee We sent the scripture in truth, confirming the scripture that came before it, and guarding it in safety (5:48 MP/51 AYA).

He [Jesus] said, "Lo, I am God's servant; God has given me the Book, and made me a Prophet." S. 19.30 (Book could be recita-tion as is the Quran ?)

It is He Who has sent down the Book (the Qur'an) to you (Mu-hammad SAW) with truth, confirming what came before it. And he sent down the Taurat (Torah) and the Injeel (Gospel). S. 3:3

Sura 5:46 states that the Injil was given to Jesus by Allah. Sura 19:30 and 3:3 then clarify that the Injil is a book just as the Qur'an and the Torah are books that were sent down by Allah.

Well, why would Muslims need to refer to the scriptures when the Quran already outlined the truths as you quoted above ?? All the Quranic verses you quoted tell us everything what we need to know about the previous scriptures. For example, Jesus is a servant and a prophet of God. It is only when Christians said Jesus is God or equal to God that the Muslims will direct the Christians back to their own scriptures which clearly said Jesus IS a servant and a prophet of God. Other than that, why would the Muslims need to refer to a Book that is a mixture of truths and lies when the Muslims have a Book that is all truths when it comes to who Jesus is??

Original sin and the Trinity are doctrines based on scriptural truth. Regarding original sin there are several lines of biblical basis to the doctrine that we are all born into the world with sinful natures, due to the sin of Adam. Refer to Psalm 51:,5 Ephesians 2:2 -3, Proverbs 22:15 ,Genesis 8:21 and Psalm 14:2–3.

None of those verses you mentioned refers to the concept of original sin. Sin, by definition, simply means to go against or to disobey the Command of God. Sin is also a choice you made, NOT by birth. Adam was not created with sin, Adam was given the breath of life, or, you can say, created, in the image of God, meaning, he was created PERFECT. Likewise, man too was given the breath of life in a state of perfection. Adam was said to have sinned because he disobeyed the Command of God. In other words, he had a choice to sin or not, but, he was influenced by Satan and he made the wrong choice. Likewise, man too had a choice to sin or not – it all boiled down to the strength of your faith to disobey God or not. Anyway, let’s review those verses you quoted :

“Behold, I was brought forth in iniquity, and in sin did my mother conceive me” – Psalm 51:5 ESV

This simply mean he was born in a world which was already filled with sin, that is, sin was rampant at that time. Similarly, a child born in a time of war could also have said “I was brought forth in violence” which would mean he was born in a world already filled with violence and not that he was born growling and holding a gun !

Then you mentioned Ephesians 2:2-3. Again, these words of Paul had nothing to do with the original sin, because, prior to that, Paul said “And you were dead in the trespasses and sins” – Ephesians 2:1. He said “And you were dead…”, NOT “And you were born…”. So, where did you see ‘original sin’ in Ephesians 2:2-3 ??

“Folly is bound up in the heart of a child, but the rod of discipline drives it far from him” – Proverbs 22:15

This simply means foolishness or lack of good sense and judgment are normally in children but good discipline can make them wise. So, where did you see ‘original sin’ in Proverbs 22:15 ??

“And when the LORD smelled the pleasing aroma, the LORD said in his heart, “I will never again curse the ground because of man, for the intention of man's heart is evil from his youth” – Genesis 8:21

Again, like Proverbs 21:15, the intention of evil begin from the age of youth, NOT from birth. So, where did you see ‘original sin’ in Genesis 8:21 ??

“The LORD looks down from heaven on all mankind to see if there are any who understand, any who seek God. All have turned away, all have become corrupt; there is no one who does good, not even one” – Psalm 14:2-3

The key phrase here is “all have BECOME corrupt”, in other words, they became corrupt, NOT that they were born corrupted or sinful. So, where did you see ‘original sin’ in Psalm 14:2-3 ??

Regarding the Trinity you need to know that the word “Trinity” is not even found in the Bible. However the doctrine exists due to such verses as Genesis 1.26 , Isaiah 6.8, Isaiah 42.1,Matthew 3:17, Mark 14:61-62.

OK, let’s review those verses you mentioned :

“Then God said, “Let us make mankind in our image, in our likeness, so that they may rule over the fish in the sea and the birds in the sky, over the livestock and all the wild animals, and over all the creatures that move along the ground.” – Genesis 1:26

Where did you see trinity in Genesis 1:26 ?? Because God used plural terms such as “us”, “our” ?? Have you heard of the term “Royal we” ? If you want to convince anyone that God is a ‘3-in-1’ God, you need to show the words of God saying He’s that or the words of Jesus saying that, NOT the words of other people.

“And I heard the voice of the Lord saying, “Whom shall I send, and who will go for us?” Then I said, “Here I am! Send me.” – Isaiah 6:8

Where did you see trinity in Isaiah 6:8 ?? This was about Isaiah’s commission from God. The ‘Lord’ here referred to God, NOT Jesus.

“Here is my servant, whom I uphold, my chosen one in whom I delight; I will put my Spirit on him, and he will bring justice to the nations.” – Isaiah 42:1

Where did you see trinity in Isaiah 42:1 ?? If this was about Jesus, then, it only shows that Jesus IS a servant of God and he was strengthened with the Spirit of God (I will put my Spirit on him).

"And a voice from heaven said, “This is my Son, whom I love; with him I am well pleased.” – Matthew 3:17

Where did you see trinity in Matthew 3:17 ?? Because God said “This is my son/Son, whom I love” ?? First of all, don’t be taken in by the CAPITALISED ‘S’ as in Greek or Hebrew, which was the original language the English Bibles translated from, do not make any distinction between CAPITAL and non-capital letters, they are all CAPITALISED. Secondly, the term ‘Son/son’ as used by God and Jesus in the scripture means servant and they are used synonymously with one another. So, Isaiah 42:1, which you mentioned above, used ‘servant’ instead of ‘son’, so, did Matthew 12:18. So, ‘son/Son of God’ does not mean God the Son, but, it means the servant of God.

“But Jesus remained silent and gave no answer. Again the high priest asked him, “Are you the Messiah, the Son of the Blessed One?”, “I am,” said Jesus. “And you will see the Son of Man sit-ting at the right hand of the Mighty One and coming on the clouds of heaven.” – Mark 14:61-62

Where did you see trinity in Mark 14:61-62 ?? Because Jesus said “I am” in response to the question “Are you the Messiah, the Son of the Blessed One?” ?? The question you should ask yourself is how did Jesus understand that question. I will tell you - Jesus understood that question as “Are you the Messiah, the servant of the Blessed One?” and that was why he responded with “I am”. However, in Luke 22:70, when he was asked “Are you then the Son of God ?”, Jesus understood this as “Are you God the Son ?”, thus, Jesus responded with “You said that I am”. In other words, Jesus was saying he never claimed to be God the Son, it was only them who have been saying that (You said that I am).

How convenient for you to say the Bible is not corrupted in its entirety! “a mixture of truth and lies” you say. So tell us then what is your criteria for determining which is truth and which is lies. No doubt the verses that support a Muslim view are seen as truth and verses that contradict the Muslim view are lies. And until you do so you have no authority to quote from the Bible at all and pick and choose what suits you.

Well, yes, the verses that are in agreement with the Quran were the truths, but, for your sake, let’s ignore the Muslims’ view or what the Quran said. So, the criteria to determine which are the truth and which are lies in your scripture is really simple – what are the truths are those that are in total agreement with what God Almighty had said or what His prophets had said and in the case of Christians, what Jesus himself had said in your gospels. So, if you said Jesus came to die for all mankind sin, then you need to show from your scripture that Jesus, NOT what other people, said or implied that he came to die for the sin of all mankind. Question is - can you ??

If you are going to quote Jeremiah 8.8 then you need to understand Jeremiah 8.8. It is clear Jeremiah was simply rebuking the scribes for their traditions that led people astray. He was not stating The Word had been corrupted. Consider these points -
1. Other godly men also had copies of the Torah in their posses-sion. Eg. the prophet Daniel. Plus other prophets affirm that the book of Moses was still available during their day.eg. Nehemiah 8:13-14,18. This occurred approximately 430 B.C., nearly 180 years after Jeremiah.
2. The Lord Jesus and his followers quoted from the Torah as we know it today and never thought that it was corrupt (cf. Matthew 4:4,7,10; 22:31-32d
3. Even Jeremiahs enemies knew that the Law could never dis-appear. Jeremiah 18:18
4. If you read Jeremiah 36: 1-7, 20-32, 27-32.You will see that If God was capable of restoring the revelation given to Jeremiah af-ter it had been destroyed, then God would also have been capa-ble of restoring the original Torah.
5. Jeremiah said …“ If you do not listen to me and follow MY LAW …. So how could Israel follow the Law, i.e. the Torah, if it had been corrupted? Jeremiah 26:4-6.

Well, Jeremiah 8:8 CLEARLY said "'How can you say, "We are wise, for we have the law of the LORD," when actually the lying pen of the scribes has handled it falsely?”. The ‘lying pen of the scribes’ obviously is NOT a reference to their traditions, BUT, it’s a reference to what they have been writing which are edited or fabricated (handled it falsely). Of course, not ALL are fabricated as there are those that are truthfully written too and survived to-day but unfortunately, the edited/fabricated verses also survived till today and that’s why the Bible you have today is a mixture of truths and lies.

You asked me where did I get the fact that Mo-hamad was not a comforter but a war Lord who lived by the sword? You obviously do not know your own Quran and hadith.
Read Sahih al-Bukhari, Volume 4, Book 52, Number 261 and you will see Mohamad had the men of Ukl or Uraynah tortured by hav-ing their hands and feet cut off. Then he ordered for nails which were heated and passed over their eyes, and they were left in the desert. When they asked for water, they were given none and left to die.

Well, you need to understand that hadiths are written by men and therefore, not all hadiths are true. In other words, like the Bible today, the collection of hadiths is also a mixture of truths and lies. So, one need to validate the hadiths with the teaching of the Quran, to know which hadiths are reliable and which are not.

Your Quran is full of directives to violence –
“Fight in the cause of Allah those who fight you, but do not transgress limits, for Allah does not love transgressors”. 2:190
“And slay them (the infidels) wherever you catch them, and turn them out from where they have turned you out, for tumult and oppression are worse than slaughter” 2:191

“And fight them on until there is no more tumult or oppression, and there prevail justice and Faith in Allah; but if they cease, let there be no hostility except to those who practise oppression”. 2:193

“Fighting is prescribed for you, and you dislike it. But it is possi-ble that you dislike a thing which is good for you, and that you love a thing which is bad for you. But Allah knows, and you know not” 2:216

"Let those fight in the cause of Allah who sell the life of this world for the Hereafter. To him who fighteth in the cause of Allah, whether he is slain or gets victory soon shall we give him a re-ward of great (value)" 4:74

“Seize them and slay them wherever you find them: and in any case take no friends or helpers from their ranks.” 4:89

"Allah has granted a grade higher to those who strive and fight with their goods and persons than to those who sit at home "4:95

"Against them make ready your strength to the utmost of your power, including steeds of war, to strike terror into (the hearts of) the enemies, of Allah and your enemies, and others besides, whom ye may not know, but whom Allah doth know. Whatever ye shall spend in the cause of Allah, shall be repaid unto you, and ye shall not be treated unjustly" 8:60

"O Prophet! rouse the Believers to the fight. If there are twenty amongst you, patient and persevering, they will vanquish two hundred: if a hundred, they will vanquish a thousand of the Unbe-lievers: for these are a people without understanding" 8:65

"Fight them and Allah will punish them by your hands, cover them with shame, help you to victory over them, and heal the breasts of the Believers" 9:14

"Fight those who believe not in Allah nor the Last Day, nor hold that forbidden which hath been forbidden by Allah and His Messenger, nor acknowledge the Religion of truth, from among the People of the Book, until they pay the Jizyah with willing submission, and feel themselves subdued" 9:29

"Say: can you expect for us (and fate) other than one of two glo-rious things (martyrdom or victory)? But we can expect for you either that Allah will send his punishment (for not believing in Al-lah) from Himself, or by our hands. So wait (expectant); we too will wait with you" 9:52

When reading verses from the Quran, or verses from the Bible for that matter, you need to consider the circumstances of the time those verses were revealed, the contexts of the verses, the culture/traditions of the society of that time, etc. In other words, the verses of the Quran are revealed at a specific time for specific reason(s). For example, lets take Quran 9:29 which Christians like to bring up to show Islam is against all non-Muslims. The verse read :

“Fight those who do not believe in Allah or in the Last Day and who do not consider unlawful what Allah and His Messenger have made unlawful and who do not acknowledge the religion of truth from those who were given the Scripture, until they give the tribute (Jizyah) willingly while they are humbled” – Quran 9:29

On the surface, this seems like a command to fight non-Muslims until they are conquered. However, a fundamental principle of Quranic exegesis is that the verse must be understood in the context in which they were revealed and in conjunction with other verses delineating the rules of warfare. The event that led to this verse being revealed was that the Prophet (pbuh) had sent Al-Harith ibn Umair Al-Azdi on an errand to carry a letter to the ruler of Busra. On his way, Al-Harith was intercepted by Sharhabeel ibn Amr Al-Ghassani, the governor of Al-Balqa and a close ally to Caesar, the Byzantine Emperor and was beheaded by Al-Ghassani. This was the first act of Roman aggression against the Muslims that further led to the revelation of verse 9:29. Executing emissaries from other countries is a war crime that could never be committed by those who sincerely believe in God. Thus, the verse 9:29 was a reference to the aggressors as those “who do not believe in Allah and the Last Day,” because they committed this act of treachery – it’s NOT a reference to ALL non-Muslims. Likewise, in WW2, when the Americans with its allies were fighting the Germans, its common for the army generals to issue commands to fight all the Germans BUT was the command really to fight ALL Germans, that is, ALL German children, women and non-military citizens ?? No, the command was to fight only the German soldiers who were fighting AGAINST the US and its allies, NOT every German they find.

As for “the Quran is full of directives to violence”, well, obviously, you do not know your own Bible. Personally, I always believe in a loving God, and NOT a God of violence in nature, and so, any verses in the Quran or the Bible that contains “directives of violence”, I would say there must be a logical explanation or those verses are read out of context.

However, since you started this rant “the Quran is full of directives to violence”, perhaps you can explain to me these “directives of violence” in your own Bible :

Kill all non-believers
They entered into a covenant to seek the Lord, the God of their fathers, with all their heart and soul; and everyone who would not seek the Lord, the God of Israel, was to be put to death, whether small or great, whether man or woman. (2 Chronicles 15:12-13)

Kill People Who Don’t Listen to the Judges or Priests
“Anyone arrogant enough to reject the verdict of the judge or of the priest who represents the LORD your God must be put to death. Such evil must be purged from Israel. (Deuteronomy 17:12)

Kill the Entire Town if One Person Worships Another God
“Suppose you hear in one of the towns the LORD your God is giving you that some worthless rabble among you have led their fellow citizens astray by encouraging them to worship foreign gods. In such cases, you must examine the facts carefully. If you find it is true and can prove that such a detestable act has occurred among you, you must attack that town and completely destroy all its inhabitants, as well as all the livestock. “ (Deuteronomy 13:13-15)

Of course, there are more violence verses in the Bible, BUT, suffice for now. If you can explain the above 'violence command' verses in your Bible, that would be very helpful.

Prove to me that Jesus that Jesus would expect his disciples to draw their swords and fight for him. And please do not refer to Luke 22.36 as when Muslims do they only display their ignorance. It was Jesus that said “turn the other cheek” and to “bless your enemies”

OK, I am not going to quote Luke 22:36, altho’ one may wonder why did Jesus tell his disciples to sell everything they had and buy swords instead. Hmmmm..

Anyway, if one never spoke of fighting, it does not mean one don’t believe in fighting. Jesus may not believe in unjust fighting, in fact, all prophets of God do not believe in unjust fighting, but I can assure you Jesus do believe in fighting in defense of the right cause.

To show you that this is the case, let’s examine Jesus’ words - ‘Jesus answered, "My Kingdom is not an earthly kingdom. If it were, my followers would fight to keep me from being handed over to the Jewish leaders. But my Kingdom is not of this world."’. – John 18:36

What is Jesus saying here ? Jesus is saying that he expects his followers to fight the Jews from capturing him (fight to keep me from being handed over), but they will not fight for him because he’s a man of God (my kingdom is not of this world) however, they (his followers) would fight for him if he was not a man of God but was someone with worldly interests (of an earthly kingdom) and they would have not handed him over to the Jews. So, Jesus, like Muhammad, do believe in a just cause fighting for the cause of God, that is, the Message of God he was preaching.

Hello Jerry Myers.

I must say for someone who does not believe the Bible to be reliable with a mix of truth and lies you do seem fond of quoting bible verses. You are wrong where you say it was Christians that said Jesus is equal to God. Jesus Himself said in John 10.30 “I and The Father are One”.

You ask why would Muslims need to refer to the Bible as a Book that’s a mixture of truth and lies ? I don’t know. However that’s your problem to work out. You tell me why your Quran tells you to refer to the Bible when at the same time Muslims believe its not trust worthy. Muslims don’t seem sure about what to believe !

Regarding Original Sin you are only partly correct in your definition of sin. “Sin” is actually a state of imperfection that falls short of Gods perfection.   It is more than just disobedience as you say. It is a imperfect state of being. In fact the Bible states the whole creation is in a state of sin and the whole of creation is under a curse –Roman 8.18 -22 and Genesis 3.17.

The idea of the curse is further developed where the Bible presents Adam as the first man, and gives the Lord Jesus Christ the curious title of ‘the last Adam’ (1 Corinthians 15:45). All of the verses I provided corroborate this. Psalm 51.5 refer to life being brought forth in an environment iniquity and sin.

You state man has a choice to sin or not and it boils down to the strength of our faith to obey God or not. Im sure you will admit that in your life and in all of our lives there is a predisposition to do not what we know to be right. No matter how many Salahs you recite will ever change that.

You need to read Ephesians 2.2 -3 more fully. “As for you, you were dead in your transgressions and sins, which you used to live when you followed the ways of this world and of the ruler of the kingdom of the air, the spirit who is now at work in those who are disobedient.”

Again it talks the ways of the world being sinful and about a power of sin in the world more powerful than us making simple choices. It actually talks about the power of Satan influencing mankind to sin.

Regarding Proverbs 22.15 foolishness falls short Gods perfection and is “sin”. And the word for “folly” here  is 'ivveleth which actually implies impiety or evil. Proverbs 22.15  implies this state of sin is bound up in the heart of children.

You are wrong about Genesis 8.21 where you say evil began with youth. It states the “ground” itself was cursed. The ground that supports all life.

Regarding Psalm 14.2-3 you need to understand it in the context of the Bible as a whole and in the context of my explanations above. People are made in the image of God. People are partly divine. However ALL of mankind have become corrupt because as I said earlier the curse that is over the world.  People are born into a cursed world and become further corrupted with life. All verses are to be read in literary context, not out of context as you tend to do.

Regarding the trinity let me remind you the term “Trinity” is not found in the Bible. Christians believe God is One. “The Lord our God, the Lord is one .” (Mark 12:29). But for your sake lets pull this apart a bit. While God is One, you will consistently find is a plurality with three distinct aspects of God identified. “Royal we”? Royal WE is more accurate regarding Genesis 1.26. Plural !  Isaiah 6:8 is another example of the plurality of God.

Regarding the verses already mentioned, lets discuss them further. Plurality is found in Isaiah 6.8. “And I heard the voice of the Lord saying, “Whom shall I send, and who will go for us?” (plural!) …  Isaiah 6:8.

Regarding the person identified in Isaiah 42.1 it is essentially a Messianic verse that implies an earthly ruler with divine qualities. This becomes apparent when read in the context of the whole chapter and other Messianic verses in Isaiah and elsewhere. For the purposes of our argument however it implies a plurality or extension of God into an earthly ruler with divine attributes.

You are wrong about Mathew 3.17 as referring to a servant. The word used in the Greek  is  “Huios” which means “Son” not  servant as you claim.  While  “Huios / Son ” is used in other contexts  it means Son in the general context of the offspring of men, and in a wider sense, a descendant, or one of the posterity of someone, and in this sense, of God The Father.

Regarding Matthew 12:18. This verse is prophetic and in reference to the earthly but divine ruler referred to in Isaiah 42.14 which I have  discussed above. But anyway read on. After Jesus heals a demon possessed dumb and blind man …  “All the people were astonished and said, “Could this be the Son of David?” Mat 12:23. The Jews themselves were expecting a Messianic figure being the “son of David which is part of the basis to the Messianic Jewish / Christian doctrine of “Sonship”.  

Have a good read of Mark 14.61 Jerry Myers and read on to verse 64. First Jesus states he is the  Son of the Blessed One (in this context an exclusive Title)  , then he refers to himself as the figure of God who will return to judge the world in Daniel 7.13 -15, and then the Chief Priests condemn him to death for the blasphemy of making himself equal to God.

Regarding Luke 22:66 it needs to be read in the context of Mark 14 as discussed above, and the same argument holds First Jesus states he is the  Son of the Blessed One (in this context an exclusive Title) , then he refers to himself as the figure of God who will return to judge the world in Daniel 7.13 -15, and then the Chief Priests condemn him to death for the blasphemy of making himself equal to God. Matthew 26:63 says the same thing.

Jesus himself said: “I have come down from heaven.”  John 6:38; 8:23.

In John 3.16 where it talks about Jesus as the only “ begotten Son”.  (Monogenēs - μονογενὴς meaning the one and only legitimate “Son”) this is in reference to Psalm 2:7 - "I will surely tell of the decree of the LORD: He said to Me, 'Thou art My Son, Today I have begotten Thee.

Did Jesus claimed to be “the son of God”? Yes. Why was he was accused of blasphemy ? Read the Gospels …  ‘but for blasphemy, because you, a mere man, claim to be God.’(John 10:31-38) … Later, before Pontius Pilate, “The Jews insisted, ‘We have a law, and according to that law He must die, because He claimed to be the Son of God’” (John 19:7). Why would His claiming to be the Son of God be considered blasphemy and be worthy of a death sentence? The Jewish leaders understood exactly what Jesus meant by the phrase “Son of God.” To be the Son of God is to be of the same nature as God. The Son of God is “of God.” The claim to be of the same nature as God—to in fact be God—was blasphemy to the Jewish leaders; therefore, they demanded Jesus’ death, in keeping with Leviticus 24:15.

As well as Jesus admitting he is The Son of God he also referred to Himself as The Son of Man” referencing himself to Daniel 7 where he will return to judge the world. Not a mere man obviously!

Also the Tenakh (OT) stresses God is One but with many dimensions. Examples of verses in the Tenakh (OT)  that referrer to God in the plural (many).are Genesis 1.26 and Isaiah 6.8. Jews have always known this.

Even some of the Jewish names for God imply him having more than one characteristic, for example the names “Echad” and “Elohim” describe God in the plural (many). A Hebrew name for God is  “Echad”  implying  cluster, like a cluster of grapes (plural but one).

The plurality of God and God The Son is also found in the Old Testament. For example -

Psalm 45:6-7, You love righteousness and hate wickedness; therefore God, your God, has set you above your companions by anointing you with the oil of joy.
 For a child will be born to us, a son will be given to us; And the government will rest on His shoulders; And His name will
be called Wonderful Counselor, Mighty God, Eternal Father, Prince of Peace. (Isaiah 9:6) 

Do homage to the Son, lest He become angry, and you perish in the way, For His wrath may soon be kindled. How blessed are all who take refuge in Him! (Psalm 2:12)

Who has ascended into heaven and descended? Who has gathered the wind in His fists? Who has wrapped the waters in His garment? Who has established all the ends of the earth? What is His name or His Son's name? Surely you know! (Proverbs 30:4)

Then a shoot will spring from the stem of Jesse, And a branch from his roots will bear fruit. And the Spirit of the LORD will rest on Him, The spirit of wisdom and understanding, The spirit of counsel and strength, The spirit of knowledge and the fear of the LORD. (Isaiah 11:1-2)

The third member of the trinity of God, The Holy Spirit, is also found as an exclusive entity and extensively in the Old Testament. Examples of this are found in Genesis 1:2, 1  Samuel 11:6, Psalm 106:33,Genesis 6:3, 1 Samuel 16:13.

Regarding “God The Father, the third element of The Godhead, the Bible repeatedly speaks of God as Heavenly Father. God is Father in a spiritual sense. His Fatherhood does not begin with Mary and Jesus; He is eternally Heavenly Father. His name "Heavenly Father" identifies His relationship with His creatures.

Further points I would make about “ the Trinity” are that there is nothing new in your doubting the doctrine of the trinity. These arguments have been common within the Christian world and Christian history. There is a theological discipline called “Christology” where Christians have been discussing and debating these points for the last 2000 years. A lot longer than what Muslims have been presenting it to Christians

Also you don’t have to believe in the trinity to be a Christian. My personal view of God is 1 but having many dimensions or being multi dimensional but at the moment there appears to be 3 main dimensions or aspects of his Oneness that are being emphasized.

Finally you state that if I want to convince anyone that God is a ‘3-in-1’ God, I need to show the words of God saying He is that or the words of Jesus saying that, not the words of other people.  This argument of yours is bordering on what is called a “straw man” logical fallacy ( a common poorly formed argument based on giving the impression of refuting an opponent's argument, while actually refuting an argument that was not presented by that opponent in the first place.)

If want to follow this line of reasoning, let me ask you. If Mohamad is the “Comforter” then you need to show from your scripture that Mohamad said, and NOT other people said, or implied, that he is the comforter as Jesus promised. Can you??

Regarding your criteria for determining which is truth and which is lies in the Bible you admit Bible verses that support a Muslim view are truth and verses that contradict the Muslim view are lies. This is actually faulty reasoning and circular logic on your behalf and is also known as a circular logical fallacy ( where the reasoner begins with what they are trying to end with).

Your attempt of an exegesis( critical explanation or interpretation of a text) where you said “the criteria truth in my scripture are the truths of those in agreement with what God  or His prophets or what Jesus himself had said is correct for basic Christian exegesis, but my point stands - you still have not adequately determined your Muslim criteria for determining which is truth and which is lies and until you do so you have no authority to quote from the Bible at all and pick and choose what simply suits you.

Your challenge to show from my scripture that Jesus, and not what other people, said or implied, that he came to die for the sin of all mankind is again also bordering on the straw man logical fallacy . Any way Jesus often talked in parables but John 8:12, 12.24 and 2.19 are all examples of what Jesus said about dying for the world.

Again I challenge you. If want to follow this line of reasoning, let me ask you. If Mohamad is the “Comforter” then you need to show from your scripture that Mohamad said, and NOT other people said, or implied, that he is the comforter as Jesus promised. Can you ??

Regarding Jeremiah 8.8 it not saying the Word had been corrupted, it is saying a certain group of scribes have handled it falsely.  Consider these points -

1. Other godly men also had copies of the Torah in their posses-sion. Eg. the prophet Daniel. Plus other prophets affirm that the book of Moses was still available during their day.eg. Nehemiah 8:13-14,18. This occurred approximately 430 B.C., nearly 180 years after Jeremiah.

2. The Lord Jesus and his followers quoted from the Torah as we know it today and never thought that it was corrupt (cf. Matthew 4:4,7,10; 22:31-32d

3. Even Jeremiahs enemies knew that the Law could never dis-appear. Jeremiah 18:18

4. If you read Jeremiah 36: 1-7, 20-32, 27-32. You will see that If God was capable of restoring the revelation given to Jeremiah after it had been destroyed, then God would also have been capable of restoring the original Torah.

5. Later Jeremiah said …“ If you do not listen to me and follow MY LAW …. So how could Israel follow the Law, i.e. the Torah, if it had been corrupted? Jeremiah 26:4-6.

Regarding the violence in the Quran proving Mohammad in not the “Comforter”. The reason I quoted the verse in Sahih al-Bukhari, where Mohamed had his enemies tortured with hot nails in their eyes was because you asked where I got my idea of Mohamad’s warfaring nature. Proof has been provided. Sahih Hadith is integral to Orthodox Islamic Sharia and always has been. You  are being evasive by minimising the importance of your Sahih Hadith.

You state the violent directives and verses in the Quran need to be understood in the context of the times. In saying this you are implying the Quran is not a literal, eternal, universal, absolute message for all people for all time ? !

Besides the point to all of this is how can Mohamad have been The Comforter” when he was so inclined to wield the sword, torture his enemies and instruct his men to take women captive sex slaves. You have not yet answered this question?

Violence in the Bible ? you will only find violence in the Old Testament not the Christian New Testament . The reason violence is found in the Old Testament is that the Old Testament is only a partial revelation of God. Jesus as the final revelation and he preached Jesus preached to “love ones enemies”.

As I said above. The point to all of this is how can Mohamad have been the “Comforter” when he wielded the sword, tortured his enemies and instructed his men to take women captive sex slaves. You have not yet answered this question?

In Luke 22.36 Jesus was not encouraging His disciples to defend themselves through violence, which would have contradicted His previous instruction, in Matthew 5:38-39, against harming others,In Luke 9:56, and  In Matthew 5:44  “…Love your enemies, bless them that curse you, do good to them that hate you, and pray for them which despitefully use you, and persecute you.”

Why did Jesus instruct his disciples to get swords? To assure the fulfilment of the prophecy in Isaiah 53:12. He was to be considered a lawbreaker or transgressor.

You say if one never spoke of fighting  it does not mean one doesn’t believe in fighting. Jesus never spoke of UFOs or flying pigs either. Did he believe in UFOs or flying pigs ? and besides he did talk about fighting. He said to love our enemies (Mathew 5.43) and to put our swords down and those who use the sword will die by the sword.  (Mathew 26.52).

Regarding John 18.38 You have totally twisted and misread the verse. He is saying because His kingdom is not of this world he does not expect his followers to fight. You need to read it properly and stop twisting verses to suit your own world view.

2Acts View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 2Acts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2018 at 4:40pm
So we have established now that Mohammad is not the comforter.
JerryMyers View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JerryMyers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2018 at 12:52pm
My apologies for the very late reply. Had to do some business travels abroad the last few weeks and now it’s the month of Ramadan. So, again, my apologies for the late reply. Anyway, let’s go through what you have written -

Hello Jerry Myers.
I must say for someone who does not believe the Bible to be reliable with a mix of truth and lies you do seem fond of quoting bible verses.

Hello 2Acts,
you obviously are so forgetful or just do not read my comments. Let me reiterate it again to you - we Muslims only quote the Bible when we WANT TO CORRECT your lack of understanding to your own scripture, NOT because we love to quote your Bible. Comprante ?

You are wrong where you say it was Christians that said Jesus is equal to God. Jesus Himself said in John 10.30 “I and The Father are One”.

See what I mean about your lack of understanding of your own Bible ?

Jesus was NOT claiming to be God when he said “I and the Father are one" (John 10:30). When we read this in context, Jesus was saying that he and God are one in purpose. Earlier, in John 5:30, Jesus implied that he and God are one in purpose when he said “I can of mine own self do nothing: as I hear, I judge: and my judgment is just; because I seek not mine own will, but the will of the Father which hath sent me”. Anyone who said I seek not my own will but the will of God IS a true servant of God and he and God are one in purpose and mission.

Moreover, if Jesus meant to say he’s God when he said “I and the Father are one” then Jesus must be asking God to make all his followers Gods or equal to God too when he said “I pray that they will all be one, JUST AS YOU AND I ARE ONE   …..”- (John 17:21). “JUST AS YOU AND I ARE ONE” is obviously a reference to Jesus’ earlier statement “I and the Father are one”. Can you understand now ??

You ask why would Muslims need to refer to the Bible as a Book that’s a mixture of truth and lies ? I don’t know. However that’s your problem to work out. You tell me why your Quran tells you to refer to the Bible when at the same time Muslims believe its not trust worthy. Muslims don’t seem sure about what to believe !

The Quran never told the Muslims today to refer to the Bible - the Quran was informing Muhammad if the Jews and Christians (in Muhammad’s time) doubt about the Message he brings from God, then they should refer to their own scriptures, which have the same basic Message. As I said, why would Muslims today need to refer to the Bible which contains a mixture of truth and lies ?

Regarding Original Sin you are only partly correct in your definition of sin. “Sin” is actually a state of imperfection that falls short of Gods perfection.   It is more than just disobedience as you say.
It is a imperfect state of being. In fact the Bible states the whole creation is in a state of sin and the whole of creation is under a curse –Roman 8.18 -22 and Genesis 3.17. The idea of the curse is further developed where the Bible presents Adam as the first man, and gives the Lord Jesus Christ the curious title of ‘the last Adam’ (1 Corinthians 15:45). All of the verses I provided corroborate this. Psalm 51.5 refer to life being brought forth in an environment iniquity and sin.

Sin is NOT a state of imperfection, sin is an act of disobeying God. A state can only be corrected or amended, not forgiven – only an act (of disobedience) can be forgiven. How can you forgive a ‘state of imperfection’ ?? Don’t listen to Paul, listen to Jesus.

You state man has a choice to sin or not and it boils down to the strength of our faith to obey God or not. Im sure you will admit that in your life and in all of our lives there is a predisposition to do not what we know to be right. No matter how many Salahs you re-cite will ever change that.

You said ‘to do not what we know to be right’ ?? Shouldn’t you be doing what you know to be right instead of ‘to do NOT what we know to be right’ ?? No wonder you think Jesus is God !

You need to read Ephesians 2.2 -3 more fully. “As for you, you were dead in your transgressions and sins, which you used to live when you followed the ways of this world and of the ruler of the kingdom of the air, the spirit who is now at work in those who are disobedient.”

You need to quote the sayings of Jesus, NOT of someone else like Paul. Moreover, it said ‘dead in your transgressions and sins, which you used to live when you followed…..’, NOT ‘BORN WITH transgressions and sins, which you INHERITED…..'.

Again it talks the ways of the world being sinful and about a power of sin in the world more powerful than us making simple choices. It actually talks about the power of Satan influencing mankind to sin.

Yes, it talks about the power of Satan INFLUENCING mankind TO SIN, meaning Satan objective is to influence you to sin, BUT you have a choice to resist him or not.

Regarding Proverbs 22.15 foolishness falls short Gods perfection and is “sin”. And the word for “folly” here is 'ivveleth which actually implies impiety or evil. Proverbs 22.15 implies this state of sin is bound up in the heart of children.

'Impiety of sin’ simply means lack of piety. Lack of piety is caused by lack of faith and lack of faith is caused by the inability to understand or comprehend God’s Message and inability to comprehend is normally found in children. So ??

You are wrong about Genesis 8.21 where you say evil began with youth. It states the “ground” itself was cursed. The ground that supports all life.

That’s a figurative of speech. An evil man can be said THAT evil that even the ground he walked on is cursed. That does not mean you cannot walk on the same ground he had walked on or that you are cursed too if you walked on the same ground he walked. The problem with Christians today is that they took most of the verses in its literal sense and thus they missed the true message of those verses.

Regarding Psalm 14.2-3 you need to understand it in the context of the Bible as a whole and in the context of my explanations above. People are made in the image of God. People are partly divine. However ALL of mankind have become corrupt because as I said earlier the curse that is over the world. People are born into a cursed world and become further corrupted with life. All verses are to be read in literary context, not out of context as you tend to do.

People are made in the image of God means man is created perfect, NOT partly divine. What does ‘partly divine’ even mean ?? Are you saying you are ‘partly divine’ too because you think you are in the image of God ?? All verses are to be read in literary context, not out of context as you tend to do.

Isaiah 6:8 is another example of the plurality of God.
Regarding the verses already mentioned, lets discuss them further. Plurality is found in Isaiah 6.8. “And I heard the voice of the Lord saying, “Whom shall I send, and who will go for us?” (plural!) … Isaiah 6:8.

Let me give you a tip in understanding the Old Testament – In the OT, God Almighty is also referred to as ‘LORD’ but, as you can see, it’s spelled to as 'LORD' (all CAPITAL letters). So, when you read the OT and come across ‘LORD’, its a reference to God Almighty, and when you come across ‘Lord’ (only the ‘L’ was capitalized and the rest not capitalized), it’s a reference to a human ‘lord’, such as a king or a rabbi, not God Almighty. So, in Isaiah 6:8 which you mentioned, it’s NOT a reference to the Almighty God, BUT a reference to a human ‘Lord’ such as a king, a rabbi, or someone who was highly respected and looked upon as a leader. In Isaiah 6:3, the ‘LORD’ is a reference to God Almighty. Also see Isaiah 42 where God Almighty is referred as ‘LORD’ (all CAPITAL letters).

Regarding the person identified in Isaiah 42.1 it is essentially a Messianic verse that implies an earthly ruler with divine qualities. This becomes apparent when read in the context of the whole chapter and other Messianic verses in Isaiah and elsewhere. For the purposes of our argument however it implies a plurality or ex-tension of God into an earthly ruler with divine attributes.

No earthly ruler ever has divine qualities or attributes, that is, if your understanding of divine qualities means that earthly ruler is equal to God. As I have said before “There’s no earthly ruler with divine qualities, not even Jesus. Why do think Jesus said “I, by myself can do nothing“ ??”

You are wrong about Mathew 3.17 as referring to a servant. The word used in the Greek is “Huios” which means “Son” not servant as you claim. While “Huios / Son ” is used in other con-texts it means Son in the general context of the offspring of men, and in a wider sense, a descendant, or one of the posterity of someone, and in this sense, of God The Father.

Matthew 3:17 is a direct reference to Isaiah 42:1, where the term ‘servant’ was used instead of ‘son’. As I have said many times, ‘s/Son’ is synonymous to ‘servant’ in the scripture. S/son of God simply means S/servant of God.

Regarding Matthew 12:18. This verse is prophetic and in reference to the earthly but divine ruler referred to in Isaiah 42.14 which I have discussed above. But anyway read on. After Je-sus heals a demon possessed dumb and blind man … “All the people were astonished and said, “Could this be the Son of David?” Mat 12:23. The Jews themselves were expecting a Messianic figure being the “son of David which is part of the basis to the Messianic Jewish / Christian doctrine of “Sonship”.
Have a good read of Mark 14.61 Jerry Myers and read on to verse 64. First Jesus states he is the Son of the Blessed One (in this context an exclusive Title) , then he refers to himself as the figure of God who will return to judge the world in Daniel 7.13 -15, and then the Chief Priests condemn him to death for the blasphemy of making himself equal to God.

So ?? Jesus was simply stating that he is the servant of God. As I have said many times, ‘s/Son’ is synonymous to ‘servant’ in the scripture. S/son of God simply means S/servant of God.

Regarding Luke 22:66 it needs to be read in the con-text of Mark 14 as discussed above, and the same argument holds First Jesus states he is the Son of the Blessed One (in this context an exclusive Title) , then he refers to himself as the figure of God who will return to judge the world in Daniel 7.13 -15, and then the Chief Priests condemn him to death for the blasphemy of making himself equal to God. Matthew 26:63 says the same thing.

Well, you got that right - “then the Chief Priests condemn him to death for the blasphemy of making himself equal to God”. In other words, the Jews were looking for ways to kill him and they decided to FALSELY convict him of blasphemy, that is, they accused him of claiming to be THE Son of God when he never ever claimed to be one. In fact, in Luke 22:70, Jesus said it was ONLY them (the Jews) who said he was (THE Son of God) – “You said that I am”.

Jesus himself said: “I have come down from heaven.” John 6:38; 8:23.

Sure, because he was created by God who is in heaven.

Did Jesus claimed to be “the son of God”? Yes. Why was he was accused of blasphemy ? Read the Gospels … ‘but for blasphemy, because you, a mere man, claim to be God.’(John 10:31-38) …

Jesus NEVER claimed to be THE Son of God. Who was saying ‘‘but for blasphemy, because you, a mere man, claim to be God’ ?? It was the Jews. The Jews knew Jesus is just a man, but because they wanted to kill him, they FALSELY accused him of blasphemy, a crime which carried the death penalty. In Luke 22:70, Jesus denied he was THE Son of God when he said “You said that I am”. In other words, Jesus was saying he was NOT the one who said that BUT they (the Jews) are the ones who are saying that.

Later, before Pontius Pilate, “The Jews insisted, ‘We have a law, and according to that law He must die, because He claimed to be the Son of God’” (John 19:7). Why would His claiming to be the Son of God be considered blasphemy and be worthy of a death sentence? The Jewish leaders understood exactly what Jesus meant by the phrase “Son of God.” To be the Son of God is to be of the same nature as God. The Son of God is “of God.” The claim to be of the same nature as God—to in fact be God—was blasphemy to the Jewish leaders; therefore, they demanded Jesus’ death, in keeping with Leviticus 24:15.
As well as Jesus admitting he is The Son of God he also referred to Himself as The Son of Man” referencing himself to Daniel 7 where he will return to judge the world. Not a mere man obviously!

Again, Jesus NEVER claimed he is THE Son of God neither did he came to die for your sins. If, according to Christians’ understanding, Jesus is God and he came to die for the sins of mankind, then the Jews and the Romans who killed him are doing the right and noble thing and should be rewarded in heaven for ‘killing’ Jesus !! Moreover, if Jesus came to die for your sin, he would NOT have said, “As it is, you are looking for a way to kill me, a man who has told you the truth that I heard from God”. Instead, Jesus would have said “As it is, you are right to kill me for I came to die for your sins”. Well, he never said that, did he ??

Finally you state that if I want to convince anyone that God is a ‘3-in-1’ God, I need to show the words of God saying He is that or the words of Jesus saying that, not the words of other people. This argument of yours is bordering on what is called a “straw man” logical fallacy ( a common poorly formed argument based on giving the impression of refuting an opponent's argument, while actu-ally refuting an argument that was not presented by that opponent in the first place.)

Well, having said all that, you STILL have not shown me the words of God saying He is a ‘3-in-1’ God, or the words of Jesus saying that ??

If want to follow this line of reasoning, let me ask you. If Mohamad is the “Comforter” then you need to show from your scripture that Mohamad said, and NOT other people said, or implied, that he is the comforter as Jesus promised. Can you??

Sure I can, as God Almighty said so in number of places in the Quran –

[Remember] when Jesus, the son of Mary, said, "O Children of Israel, indeed I am the messenger of God to you confirming what came before me of the Torah and bringing good tidings of a messenger to come after me’ – Quran 61:6

[Note: Notice that Jesus first said he's a messenger of God, then spoke of (another) messenger who will come after him. In John 14:16, Jesus also spoke of 'another comforter' - is there another Spirit of God if the Comforter is the Spirit of God ??]

[And thus,] your companion [Muhammad] has not strayed, nor has he erred, nor does he speak from [his own] inclination. It is not but a revelation revealed, taught to him by one intense in strength – Quran 53:2-5

[Note: This is a direct reference to John 16:13 – “when he, the Spirit of Truth, has come, he will guide you into all truth, for he will not speak of himself; but whatever he will hear, [that] he will speak, and he will show you things to come."]

“The Trustworthy Spirit has brought it down upon your heart, [O Muhammad] - that you may be of the warners in a clear Arabic language. And indeed, it is [mentioned] in the Scriptures of former peoples. And has it not been a sign to them that it is recognized by the scholars of the Children of Israel? – Quran 26:193-197

[Note: ‘The Trustworthy Spirit’ is a direct reference to the ‘The Spirit of Truth’ as mentioned by Jesus in John 16:13]

Your attempt of an exegesis( critical explanation or interpretation of a text) where you said “the criteria truth in my scripture are the truths of those in agreement with what God or His prophets or what Jesus himself had said is correct for basic Christian exegesis, but my point stands - you still have not adequately determined your Muslim criteria for determining which is truth and which is lies and until you do so you have no authority to quote from the Bible at all and pick and choose what simply suits you.

The criteria for Muslims to determine what is truth and what are lies is simple - the truths are what that did not contradict the Quran, which is the literal words of God Almighty.

Your challenge to show from my scripture that Jesus, and not what other people, said or implied, that he came to die for the sin of all mankind is again also bordering on the straw man logical fallacy . Any way Jesus often talked in parables but John 8:12, 12.24 and 2.19 are all examples of what Jesus said about dying for the world.
Again I challenge you. If want to follow this line of reasoning, let me ask you. If Mohamad is the “Comforter” then you need to show from your scripture that Mohamad said, and NOT other people said, or im-plied, that he is the comforter as Jesus promised. Can you ??

I just did above, that is, if you read them. I am still waiting for you to show me where God Almighty said or implied that He’s a ‘3-in-1’’ God or Jesus said that he’s part of a triune God ?? Can you ???

You state the violent directives and verses in the Quran need to be understood in the context of the times. In saying this you are implying the Quran is not a literal, eternal, universal, absolute message for all people for all time ? !

Quran, like the Bible, contains stories, God’s Commands and lessons. The stories told should be understood in the context of the times, the lessons and God’s Commands are universal and eternal.

Besides the point to all of this is how can Mohammad have been The Comforter” when he was so inclined to wield the sword, torture his enemies and instruct his men to take women captive sex slaves. You have not yet answered this question?

Where did you learn that Muhammad torture his enemies ?? From anti-Islam websites which quote 'hadiths'?? If you want to know about the true Islam, learn the Quran, not from anti-Islam websites.

Again, I have answered as to why Muhammad is the Comforter Jesus spoke of. However, I am still waiting for you to show me where God Almighty said or implied that He’s a ‘3-in-1’’ God or Jesus said that he’s part of a triune God ?? Can you, without quoting the words of other people ???

Violence in the Bible ? you will only find violence in the Old Testament not the Christian New Testament .

You mean OT is not part of the Bible ??!!

The reason violence is found in the Old Testament is that the Old Testament is only a partial revelation of God. Jesus as the final revelation and he preached Jesus preached to “love ones enemies”.

Jesus is NOT a revelation, Jesus is a prophet of God.

In Luke 22.36 Jesus was not encouraging His disciples to defend themselves through violence, which would have contradicted His previous instruction, in Matthew 5:38-39, against harming others, In Luke 9:56, and In Matthew 5:44 “…Love your enemies, bless them that curse you, do good to them that hate you, and pray for them which despitefully use you, and persecute you.”

No one said Jesus was encouraging his disciples to fight for the love of fighting. In John 18:36, Jesus did expect his disciples to fight and stop the Jews from capturing him. Go and read to understand John 18:36.

Why did Jesus instruct his disciples to get swords? To assure the fulfilment of the prophecy in Isaiah 53:12. He was to be considered a lawbreaker or transgressor.

So now, Jesus did instruct his disciples to get swords ?? What happen to your earlier comment “In Luke 22.36 Jesus was not encouraging His disciples to defend themselves through violence, which would have contradicted His previous instruction, in Matthew 5:38-39, against harming others,In Luke 9:56, and In Matthew 5:44 “…Love your enemies, bless them that curse you, do good to them that hate you, and pray for them which despitefully use you, and persecute you” ??? Do you always jump from one ‘understanding’ to the other ‘understanding’ according to your whims and fancies when it suits you ??

You say if one never spoke of fighting it does not mean one doesn’t believe in fighting. Jesus never spoke of UFOs or flying pigs either.

To borrow your own words - This is actually faulty reasoning and circular logic on your behalf and is also known as a circular logical fallacy (where the reasoner begins with what they are trying to end with).

and besides he did talk about fighting. He said to love our enemies (Mathew 5.43) and to put our swords down and those who use the sword will die by the sword. (Mathew 26.52).

The fact that Jesus did talk about fighting AND at the same time, he said to love your enemies means Jesus believe in a peaceful and loving relationship with mankind BUT, he also believed in fighting when fighting is the only logical option to defend your rights.

Regarding John 18.38 You have totally twisted and misread the verse. He is saying because His kingdom is not of this world he does not expect his followers to fight. You need to read it properly and stop twisting verses to suit your own world view.

Well, that’s John 18:36, NOT John 18:38.
Let’s see who have totally twisted and misread the verse. John 18:36 reads –

“My kingdom is not of this world. If it were, my servants would fight to prevent my arrest by the Jewish leaders. But now my kingdom is from another place.”

You said because his kingdom is not of this world, he does not expect his servant to fight for him. You either cannot understand what you read or you can, but, you have totally twisted and misread the verse – and I will tell you why -

First, let’s understand that his servants (his disciples) did not fight to prevent his arrest – that’s a fact. Second, because they did nothing, Jesus said his kingdom is NOT of this world, BUT if it were (meaning if it were of this world), his servants would fight to prevent his arrest. In other words, his servants did not fight to prevent his arrest because he’s NOT a man who seek earthly desires (not of this world) BUT he’s a man who only seek to please God Almighty. So, it’s not “because his kingdom is not of this world, he does not expect his servant to fight for him” but rather, Jesus DID EXPECT his servants to fight and prevent his arrest BUT because he’s not of this world, that is,he did not seek earthly desires, his servants did nothing to prevent him from being arrested by the Jews. So, who’s the one who’s twisting and misreading the verse ??
Peace maker View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peace maker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2018 at 4:09pm
Hi Jerry.
I see you are a expert in doing fault finding in the bible why?
Simply cause you belief the Quran and Muhammad.
If I say to you Jesus is God what argument will you have to proof me wrong?

LUKE 2 And behold, there was a man in Jerusalem whose name was Simeon, and this man was just and devout, waiting for the Consolation of Israel, and the Holy Spirit was upon him. And it had been revealed to him by the Holy Spirit that he would not see death before he had seen the Lord’s Christ. So he came by the Spirit into the temple. And when the parents brought in the Child Jesus, to do for Him according to the custom of the law, he took Him up in his arms and blessed God and said: “Lord, now You are letting Your servant depart in peace, according to Your word; for my eyes have seen Your salvation which You have prepared before the face of all peoples, a light to bring revelation to the Gentiles, and the glory of Your people Israel.”

Isaiah 9.
For to us a child is born to us a son is given and the goverment shal be on his shoulder and his name shall be called Wonderful Counselor,Mighty God,Everlasting Father,Prince of Peace

Was Isaiah lying in His Prophecy?
What will your argument be?
Al Masihi View Drop Down
Male
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Al Masihi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2018 at 2:58am
The meaning of one in the Bible can be determined from its context, in John 10:30 immediately after Jesus said I and the Father are one the Jews picked up stones to throw at him for blasphemy and Jesus did not attempt to rephrase or change what he said,so we know what Jesus meant when he said I and the Father are one, unless you agree with the Pharisees that Jesus Christ wasn’t God almighty. If Mohammed is the comforter you’d have to admit he proceeds from the Father through Jesus Christ, which would technically mean Jesus sent Mohammed with the permissionod the Father, this would be greater shirk in Islam to even suggest such a notion. If the Quran commands the Jews and Christians of Mohammed’s time to look at their scriptures because it still contains the same basic message then it can’t be a mixture of truth and lies, a mixture of truth and lies means unreliability and you’d have to admit that Mohammed commanded the Jews and Christians to look to a book with a mixture and truth and lies to find out about the message of Islam, such a notion contradicts the notion of Islam itself. Mohammed committed very numerous disturbing acts in his life from the disturbing sexual stories recorded in the Hadiths to the disturbing tortures he inflicted on his enemies yet he is still called th perfect moral example, I have no problem providing countless Sahih Hadiths to show you the actions of Mohammed.
Al Masihi View Drop Down
Male
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Al Masihi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2018 at 2:59am
"I can do nothing on My own initiative. As I hear, I judge; and My judgment is just, because I do not seek My own will, but the will of Him who sent Me. 31"If I alone bear witness of Myself, My testimony is not true. 32"There is another who bears witness of Me, and I know that the testimony which He bears of Me is true," (John 5:30-32).
The answer is that Jesus is both God and man in one person. This doctrine is called the hypostatic union. As a man, Jesus was under the law and was obligated to keep the law (Gal. 4:4). In His humbled state of being lower than the angels (Heb. 2:9), Jesus was cooperating with the limitations of being a man (Phil. 2:5-8). Therefore, He was in complete subjection to the Father so that He might fulfill the law and be the high priest sacrifice for our sins (Heb. 5:10).

Furthermore, Jesus did not begin His miracles until His baptism. It was at that point that the Holy Spirit came upon Him. Therefore, Jesus was performing His miracles not by His own power but by the power of the Holy Spirit. This explains why in Matt. 12:22-32 when the Pharisees said that Jesus was casting out demons by the power of the devil, Jesus said that blasphemy of the Holy Spirit will not be forgiven. In other words, Jesus was doing His miracles by the power of the Holy Spirit and not under His own divine power which He had laid aside the rightful use of while he walked this earth doing the Father's will.

Therefore, these verses do not mean that Jesus is not divine; but it does mean that Jesus, as a man, was completely and totally in submission to the will of the Father and that Jesus would only do the will of the Father as the text clearly says.

Sources: https://carm.org/john-530-32-myself-i-can-do-nothing
Al Masihi View Drop Down
Male
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Al Masihi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2018 at 3:02am
If Mohammed is the comforter surely you can pronounce atleast one verse from the Quran where Mohammed claimed to be Ruh Al Haq the spirit of truth, I thought the Ruh in the Quran was Gabriel, so who is the Ruh?
JerryMyers View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JerryMyers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2018 at 2:54am
Originally posted by Al Masihi Al Masihi wrote:

“Lord” in capitals refers to God, it’s different from “lord” as an earthly title, Thomas call him my “Lord,” not my “lord.”

Unfortunately, the original language the scriptures are written in are NOT in English, but in Hebrew, Aramaic or Latin Greek, where there’s no distinction between capital letters and non-capital letters – they are all the same. So, Thomas, or anyone else, calling Jesus ‘lord’ does not make Jesus God as kings, rabbis and others are also called ‘lord’.

Mark 2:1-12
When Jesus saw their faith, he said to the paralyzed man, “Son, your sins are forgiven.”

Oh so your going to explain what it means, you meant twist it to fit your interpretation with no backing from any commentary.

Again, this reflect your inability to understand your own scripture as you, like most of the Christians today, do NOT (most of the time) consider the contexts and the traditions/cultures of the people of that time when reading the scripture.

Was Jesus really forgiving sin when he said “your sins are forgiven” ?? You should know that in the Jews society of that time, they believe that bad fortunes, illness, paralysis or any bad incidents that befall on someone happened because that someone had sin. So, in that society (even in some societies today), bad fortunes, illness, paralysis, etc. are synonymous to sins committed. In fact, the people brought the paralyzed man to Jesus so that Jesus can cure him, NOT to ask Jesus to forgive the man’s sin. Where in that passage that said they brought the paralyzed man so that Jesus can forgive his sins ??

After Jesus said to the paralyzed man, “Your sins are forgiven”, the religious leaders immediately reacted, "Why does this fellow talk like that? He's blaspheming! Who can forgive sins but God alone?" (Again, it’s the people, in this case, the religious people, and NOT Jesus himself, who’s making the claim that Jesus is God). In Mark 2:8-9, we learn “Immediately Jesus knew in his spirit that this was what they were thinking in their hearts, and he said to them, “Why are you thinking these things? Which is easier: to say to this paralyzed man, ‘Your sins are forgiven,’ or to say, ‘Get up, take your mat and walk ?’.

Now, lets ask ourselves, if Jesus was really forgiving the man’s sins, then why did Jesus need to ask them which is easier to say to the paralyzed man, ‘Your sins are forgiven,’ or to say, ‘Get up, take your mat and walk ?” ?? Obviously, in the context of that society’s belief, its easier to say “your sins are forgiven” as the paralyzed man believed his paralyzed body was because of his sins. However, we also know that with God’s Will and permission, Jesus was given the authority or power to heal so, in the context of that society’ belief, Jesus said “But I want you to know that the son of Man has authority on earth to forgive sins.” Mark 2:10. Again, in the context of that society’s belief, “to forgive sins” is synonymous to “to heal” just as in today, the phrase ‘go and fly a kite’ is synonymous to “go away” and not literally mean fly a kite !! That Jesus was healing the paralyzed man and NOT forgiving his sins was obvious as immediately after Jesus said ‘the son of Man has the authority to forgive sins’, Jesus displayed his power of healing by God’s Will and permission, by saying “I tell you, get up, take your mat and go home.”. He did NOT say, “By my power, your sins are forgiven”.

So, please, read your scriptures in context and also take into considerations the time, the traditions and the beliefs of the society of that time.

Genesis 17:
As for Ishmael, I have heard you; behold, I will bless him, and will make him fruitful and will multiply him exceedingly. He shall become the father of twelve princes, and I will make him a great nation. “But My covenant I will establish with Isaac, whom Sarah will bear to you at this season next year.” When He finished talking with him, God went up from Abraham.

Abram didn't marry Hagar, as there’s no verse which says he actually married Hagar, Sarai demanded that Abram have a child with Hagar as a common solution to when a legal wife couldn’t have a child she’d let her husband sleep with her handmaiden.

Well, there’s no verse in the Bible either that explicitly said Abraham married Sarai too, other than that Sarai was Abraham’s wife, which we all understood to mean Abraham had married Sarai. Likewise, in Genesis 16:3, we are told “So after Abram had been living in Canaan ten years, Sarai his wife took her Egyptian slave Hagar and gave her to her husband to be his wife”, which means Abraham had married Hagar before he slept with her. Moreover, I don’t think God would bless Abraham if he had committed adultery or bless Ishmael and made him a great nation if he was an illegitimate son. Can you show me a verse in the whole Bible that said Ishmael was an illegitimate son ?? I doubt it.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 45678 14>
  Share Topic