IslamiCity.org Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Religion - Islam > Interfaith Dialogue
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Open for debate  What is Islam What is Islam  Donate Donate
  FAQ FAQ  Quran Search Quran Search  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Open for debate

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 678910 12>
Author
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote airmano Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2018 at 1:50pm
@Niblo

Thanks for your reply, so far the best I ever got from the Muslim side on this subject.
Usually I only get a series of unrelated Quran citations (well, you couldn't quite resist either). 

Let's work it through point by point:

A) "We are agreed that Allāh (subḥānahu ūta'āla) exists." 
Actually no, I just did a thought experiment, but in this special case this is irrelevant.

B) "Using one religious teaching, and ignoring all others, you argue that since He is omniscient, and therefore (by your reckoning) incapable of changing His mind, or taking any decisions, he must be ‘static’".
By and large correct although I do not understand what you mean by  "Using one religious teaching and ignoring all others".
My reasoning applies equally to Christianity for example. Again I do not think that this is important here.

C) "Knowledge does not preclude action. If it did then I, knowing how to type, would be incapable of so doing. Clearly, I am capable. The Beloved’s absolute knowledge (omniscience) does not prevent Him from acting either."

I feel 'C)' as being your core statement (please correct me if I'm wrong) and I admit that I had to think a little bit about it.
Here comes my answer: I think you'd agree that within your logic God must have always known that at a given 'moment' (whatever this means in the absence of time) he would create the Universe.  
I think you'd also agree that he could never have taken this decision [actively] because this would imply a change in his state of mind (because if he took this decision he did not know [for sure] beforehand that he would create the universe - which would be in open conflict with "all-knowledgeable). 

The Universe exists however. This could mean that the rules which allowed the Universe to come into existence have always coexisted with God (He may well have known about them all the 'time' but what is his job in this case ?) or that God did indeed change his mind but in this case he is not all-knowing.
Another option (and it seems this is the one you are favoring) would be that God executes this (you'd call it 'his') immutable eternal plan. However, this reduces him onto a level of a (deterministic) machine or call it a robot - which is not much better than 'dead'.
Equally I can not see the advantage of this construction - compared to the thought that eternal laws of nature brought our universe into existence. 

D) I jump the Quran surahs because as far as I can see they do not bring any additional insight.  

What are your thoughts about this ?

Airmano
The word God is for me nothing more than the expression and product of human weaknesses (Albert Einstein 1954, in his "Gods Letter")
Niblo View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie
Male Islam
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Niblo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2018 at 12:05pm
Originally posted by airmano airmano wrote:

Hi Airmano.

Among the Muslims it is considered very bad practice to make a statement about Islam, or its teachings, without citing one’s sources. This is the way I was educated as a Christian, by the way; and this is how I intend to continue. The only way to avoid citations from yours truly is not to ask yours truly any questions!

I know you’re an atheist (I’ve read enough of your posts). However, when you argue that God is ‘static’ you are acknowledging – albeit only for debating purposes – that He exists. That is why I said (tongue firmly in cheek) that we are agreed on this. Relax.

My reference to your taking just one religious teaching, while ignoring all others, was a caution against ripping a particular doctrine (that of God’s omniscience, in our case) out of its context; and then using it as the sole basis for an argument. ‘Cherry picking’ leaves us vulnerable to accusations of intellectual laziness or dishonesty. Who knows, in extreme circumstances, a fella might be accused of living under a bridge in Norway.

Avoiding such behaviour is extremely important if we desire to be taken seriously.   

Yes, I do agree that God must ‘always have known that He would create the Universe in due course.’

I disagree with your claim that since God is omniscient He cannot change His mind (and is therefore ‘static’). As far as I’m concerned, being omniscient means He doesn’t need to change His mind. This is quite a different matter.

I don’t agree that God was in any way inhibited from implementing His plan of creation. Nor do I accept that moving from the planning stage (if I may call it that) to the implementation stage involved a ‘change in his state of mind’.

Deciding NOT to create the universe - after having decided to do just that - would have involved a change of mind.

You refer to ‘rules which allowed the Universe to come into existence’; and state that these might have ‘always coexisted with God.’

I opine that the so-called ‘rules of nature’ did not allow (or cause) the Universe to come into existence; rather, they are contingent upon its existence. In short, without nature there can be no ‘rules’ of nature. If we accept that nature is not eternal then we must accept that these rules are not eternal.

You claim that God – by executing His ‘immutable eternal plan’ – has reduced Himself to the ‘level of a robot.’

How so?

Finally, you write: ‘I jump the Quran surahs because as far as I can see they do not bring any additional insight.’ You wish to know my thoughts about this.

Muhammad Ali once said: ‘The man who views the world at 50 the same as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.’

I insist you read every single word of mine (and every quote). This may not make you any wiser; but it will make you better informed!

Seriously, we should develop the habit of reading as often as we are able; covering as many topics as we are able – no matter how hard it might be to read stuff that stands in direct conflict with our most cherished opinions. Selecting only what agrees with us – or what is easier for us to cope with – is another form of intellectual laziness. It prevents us from growing.
'Sometimes, silence is the best answer for a fool.' (Alī ibn Abī Tālib‎)
airmano View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote airmano Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2018 at 1:37pm
@Niblo

Quote Among the Muslims it is considered very bad practice to make a statement about Islam, or its teachings, without citing one’s sources
Understood, but the verses should have at least some relevance to the subject - which I couldn't detect.
As I once told Miaw: Quran citations have the same effect on me as holy water may have on you: It only makes me wet.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Quote I know you’re an atheist (I’ve read enough of your posts).
No, I'm agnostic. This may look as being the same to you but it is not.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Quote My reference to your taking just one religious teaching, while ignoring all others, was a caution against ripping a particular doctrine (that of God’s omniscience, in our case) out of its context; and then using it as the sole basis for an argument. ‘Cherry picking’ leaves us vulnerable to accusations of intellectual laziness or dishonesty. 
Yes and no. This is only true if the other facets truly add more information.
A statement of the kind "An entirely green plant which is red" doesn't need a masters degree in botany to be identified as contradictory.  

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Quote I disagree with your claim that since God is omniscient He cannot change His mind (and is therefore ‘static’). As far as I’m concerned, being omniscient means He doesn’t need to change His mind. This is quite a different matter.

I don’t agree that God was in any way inhibited from implementing His plan of creation. Nor do I accept that moving from the planning stage (if I may call it that) to the implementation stage involved a ‘change in his state of mind’. 

Deciding NOT to create the universe - after having decided to do just that - would have involved a change of mind.  

Bad example in my eyes: He's supposed to know everything in advance, thus also the change or rather "his new" state of mind. Obviously: something new which has been known forever simply can't be [called] new. 
Got a better one ?
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Quote You claim that God – by executing His ‘immutable eternal plan’ – has reduced Himself to the ‘level of a robot.’
How so?
How would you call an entity which executes a preset "series of command[ments]" without the slightest possibility to deviate ?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I prefer to keep it short and to concentrate on the core. OK that we discuss the other points in due course ?  

Thanks for your reply nevertheless, I didn't realize so far that you're a former Christian.

Airmano
The word God is for me nothing more than the expression and product of human weaknesses (Albert Einstein 1954, in his "Gods Letter")
Niblo View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie
Male Islam
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Niblo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2018 at 2:50am

Hello again.

Yes, we can concentrate on the core; and discuss other points in due course, God willing.

You seem fixated on the notion that putting a decision into effect equates to a change of mind.

I have a sentence in mind (‘The cat sat on the mat’) that I now intend to write. Here goes: ‘The cat sat on the mat.’

By definition, a change of mind is a decision to reverse an earlier decision. Had I decided not to write my sentence after all; or to write, instead of that sentence, the words 'On the mat the cat sat’ I would have satisfied this definition.

When it comes to God you insist that the expression ‘a change of mind’ be re-defined as: ‘Putting a decision into effect’. What is your justification for this?

Your notion that God is a robot can wait!

Very best regards.

Paul
airmano View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote airmano Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2018 at 1:27pm
@Niblo
Quote You seem fixated on the notion that putting a decision into effect equates to a change of mind...
...When it comes to God you insist that the expression ‘a change of mind’ be re-defined as: ‘Putting a decision into effect’. What is your justification for this?
I think there is a misunderstanding.
My logic doesn't require any action [so far]. I was only trying to take position with respect to your sentence:
"Knowledge does not preclude action. If it did then I, knowing how to type, would be incapable of so doing. Clearly, I am capable. The Beloved’s absolute knowledge (omniscience) does not prevent Him from acting either."
Looking at this sentence I felt that your logic was: "How can something which acts be dead ?". This was the/my trigger.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ok, since we both seem to agree that the "action part" is not relevant at this level, let's go back to your example which goes:

Quote I have a sentence in mind (‘The cat sat on the mat’) that I now intend to write. Here goes: ‘The cat sat on the mat.’ 
By definition, a change of mind is a decision to reverse an earlier decision. Had I decided not to write my sentence after all; or to write, instead of that sentence, the words 'On the mat the cat sat’ I would have satisfied this definition. 
Sure, but you are not omniscient.
On a human scale the change of mind is often triggered by new knowledge or insight which is -for God- already excluded by the very definition of an omniscient being. 
Furthermore, for an eternal omniscient being it would have always been clear that it would never write the sentence [or write it 'differently', to stick to your second example] . In this sense the omniscient being would have equally known (forever) that it "would change its mind" and what the new state of mind would be.

But does it make sense to use the term "changing mind" when you already know beforehand what you "will think" later ?

I don't think so.

---------

On top of that: If I asked you "why did you change the sentence" (provided you told me that you did) you'd probably produce an argument which is similar to: "it sounds (or rimes) better" or "it is closer to what I want to express". 
I.a.W you went through a (felt or real) inner optimization procedure to reach the final result (you may as well discard the sentence entirely because you find it not attractive enough).

The problem with this is, in short: A perfect being can't be optimized. (Here I obviously use a different Dogma which is "God is perfect"). So God as you define it must/can not go through the procedure the way you describe it.
In more philosophical terms: An altered truth can not be the truth anymore (since there can be only one). [Ultimate] Truth can't be altered, it is static, it is the truth.

Airmano
Niblo View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie
Male Islam
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Niblo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 June 2018 at 7:15am

Hello again airmano.

Mmm..…I fear we are in danger of dancing in circles. However….

I conclude my previous post with a question:

‘By definition, a change of mind is a decision to reverse an earlier decision…. When it comes to God you insist that the expression ‘a change of mind’ be re-defined as: ‘Putting a decision into effect’. What is your justification for this?’

In reply you write that: ‘(An) omniscient being would have…known (forever) that it "would change its mind" and what the new state of mind would be. But does it make sense to use the term "changing mind" when you already know beforehand what you "will think" later?’

I fail to see how this answers my question. Please help me out. Which of these, in your opinion, is the correct definition of a ‘change of mind’ when applied to God:

a) ‘A decision to reverse an earlier decision’; or

b) ‘Putting a decision into effect’

Thank you.

The remainder of your post will be addressed once you’ve responded to my request. I don’t need more than a simple ‘a’ or ‘b’; but feel free to elaborate, if you wish.

Very best regards.

Paul
airmano View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote airmano Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 June 2018 at 7:34am
@Niblo
Quote Which of these, in your opinion, is the correct definition of a ‘change of mind’ when applied to God:
a) ‘A decision to reverse an earlier decision’; or

b) ‘Putting a decision into effect’
Only A) would be required. But my thought is that he [logically] can't.

Airmano
Niblo View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie
Male Islam
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Niblo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 June 2018 at 8:12am
Originally posted by DavidC DavidC wrote:

God does whatever he wills. Truly, it is that simple.

God wills only that which is intrinsically possible.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 678910 12>
  Share Topic