IslamiCity.org Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Religion - Islam > Interfaith Dialogue
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Open for debate  What is Islam What is Islam  Donate Donate
  FAQ FAQ  Quran Search Quran Search  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Open for debate

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 56789 12>
Author
Groupie
Groupie
Male Islam
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Niblo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2018 at 8:21am
Originally posted by DavidC DavidC wrote:

You insist that my argument is that of the atheist. It is not. An atheist would simply deny that there is a God - any god - to argue about.

You I presume that: 'God has some of the limitations of created things.’

No. I am simply agreeing with C.S Lewis (a Trinitarian) who writes:

‘(God’s) Omnipotence means power to do all that is intrinsically possible, not to do the intrinsically impossible. You may attribute miracles to Him, but not nonsense. This is no limit to His power. If you choose to say "God can give a creature free will and at the same time withhold free will from it," you have not succeeded in saying anything about God.’ (The Problem of Pain).

And with St Thomas Aquinas (another Trinitarian) who wrote: ‘Whatever implies contradiction does not come within the scope of divine omnipotence, because it cannot have the aspect of possibility.’ (Summa Theologica: Part 1; Question 25; Article 3).

And with Ludwig Ott (yet another Trinitarian) who writes: ‘To God's Infinite Reality of Being there corresponds an (intensively) Infinite Power. This extends over the whole sphere of real and possible being (extensively infinite).   As God's power is identical with God's Essence, it cannot imply anything which contradicts the Essence and the Attributes of God. Thus God CANNOT CHANGE, cannot lie, can make nothing that has happened not to have happened (contrary to the teaching of St. Peter Damian), CANNOT REALISE anything which is contradictory in itself 2 Tim. 2, 13: He cannot deny himself.’ (‘Fundamental of Catholic Dogma’; page 47 - emphasis is mine).

The message is simple: God cannot realise (i.e. bring into being) that which is contradictory in itself.

'Sometimes, silence is the best answer for a fool.' (Alī ibn Abī Tālib‎)
Tim the plumber View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Male
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tim the plumber Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2018 at 8:49am
Originally posted by Niblo Niblo wrote:

Originally posted by Tim the plumber Tim the plumber wrote:

My point is that to try to explain the situation of a human, to all appearances, being part of a hyperintelligent machine with powers so advanced that it is, compaired to humans, all powerful, able to reshape mountains at will etc, would be very complex today and impossible for to translate 1500 years ago.

I think I understand what you are saying - science fiction is not my thing - but the analogy doesn’t hold.

When talking about God we are trying to define – to explain – a Being who is nothing like us at all; who is nothing like anything we know, or can imagine. Because of this, some have said that the best response to the question: ‘What is God’ is silence. A Catholic priest once told me that should we ever come to a true understanding of what God is – should the reality of His nature hit us – we would ‘fall on our faces and never get up again’. However, the various doctrines that claim to convey the truths about God (including the ‘incarnation’) are clear enough. Most certainly they are open to investigation; and that is what I have done. I have stated only what the Church teaches (in this matter) and have done so with citations, so that folk can check stuff out for themselves.

The Church is not saying that God (the hyper intelligent machine in your analogy) has a part of Him that is a man. No. It teaches (as you will know) that He is pure infinite spirit, having no corporeal elements is His whatsoever in His essence. Above all, the Church insists - correctly - that God is not a man. Absolutely not!

The Church also teaches (as you know) that man was created by God; that man is most certainly not God.

If man is not God, and God is not man, then how can anyone be both a man and God at one and the same time? How can God be both God and a man at one and the same time? Both are logical contradictions (assuming that we preserve the integrity of the definitions of these terms); and therefore intrinsically impossible.

1, I don't really take much notice of what the church teaches in its' finer points of doctrine. Never seen the point, like praying to your cat.

2, My point about the hyper intelligent and powerful beyond any power humanity has at the moment is that it is very difficult to explain to you how a human can be an avatar of a space ship and human in every way except for the link/spirit of a hyper intelligent computer in them. That this state could be a very similar state to that of an all powerful, or at least vastly powerful beyond our ability to imagine, God thingy having an aspect of its' self being a man.

If it was that God was in this situation how would he explain it in human terms 2,000 years ago? Would that end up with what we have?

Not that I beleive any of it. Just sayin'.
DavidC View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Male Christian
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DavidC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2018 at 9:39am
This are the Trinitarian axioms:

The Father is not the Son.
The Son is not the Holy Spirit.
The Holy Spirit is not the Father.

The Father is God.
The Son is God.
The Holy Spirit is God.
Christian; Wesleyan M.Div.
Niblo View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie
Male Islam
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Niblo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2018 at 11:53am

This are the Trinitarian axioms:

The Father is not the Son.
The Son is not the Holy Spirit.
The Holy Spirit is not the Father.

The Father is God.
The Son is God.
The Holy Spirit is God.

Indeed. But we are not talking about the trinity per se. We are talking about the contradiction that is the 'incarnation'.
Al Masihi View Drop Down
Male
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Al Masihi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2018 at 12:26pm
Actually what Thomas Aquinas says is that you cannot say something is only man and only a donkey at the same time. The doctrine of hypostatic Union doesn’t say Jesus is only God and only man at the same time and in the same respect, since they are two natures there is no contradiction.
DavidC View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Male Christian
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DavidC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2018 at 1:00pm
The incarnation is a mystery. Your argument denies the divinity of God by forcing God to conform to the rules of created physical things.
Niblo View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie
Male Islam
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Niblo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2018 at 1:11pm

The incarnation is a mystery. Your argument denies the divinity of God by forcing God to conform to the rules of created physical things.

Read again my post timed at 8.21am today. Are you saying that the Christians I quoted are denying the divinity of God? By the way..I certainly do not deny His divinity. What I most certainly deny is the notion that it is ok to attribute nonsense to Him.
DavidC View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Male Christian
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DavidC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2018 at 2:30pm
God does whatever he wills. Truly, it is that simple.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 56789 12>
  Share Topic