IslamiCity.org Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Religion - Islam > Interfaith Dialogue
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Open for debate
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login


Open for debate

 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 9101112>
Author
Message
Niblo View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie
Avatar

Joined: 01 September 2016
Status: Offline
Points: 45
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Niblo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 June 2018 at 1:43am
Originally posted by DavidC DavidC wrote:

The biblical language of god approaching and receeding is sometimes one of emptiness or fullness. Personally, I prefer al-Gazzali's metaphor of a light in a lantern, and the lantern owner's responsibility to keep the glass clean so the light is brilliant and not dimmed. Similar ideas expressed differently..


A reference to his 'Mishkât Al-Anwar'. Interesting read.    
'Sometimes, silence is the best answer for a fool.' (Alī ibn Abī Tālib‎)
Back to Top
Sponsored Links


Back to Top
DavidC View Drop Down
Senior Member
Senior  Member
Avatar

Joined: 20 September 2001
Status: Offline
Points: 2434
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DavidC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 June 2018 at 4:19am
Originally posted by Niblo Niblo wrote:

Originally posted by DavidC DavidC wrote:

The biblical language of god approaching and receeding is sometimes one of emptiness or fullness. Personally, I prefer al-Gazzali's metaphor of a light in a lantern, and the lantern owner's responsibility to keep the glass clean so the light is brilliant and not dimmed. Similar ideas expressed differently..


A reference to his 'Mishkât Al-Anwar'. Interesting read.    

It is indeed. I also like the part where he divides the human personality into five parts. Predates Freud by centuries and is more accurate imho but Gazzali just touches on the subject then moves on.
Christian; Wesleyan M.Div.
Back to Top
Niblo View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie
Avatar

Joined: 01 September 2016
Status: Offline
Points: 45
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Niblo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 June 2018 at 6:41am
Originally posted by airmano airmano wrote:

@Niblo
Quote <span style=": rgb251, 251, 253;">Which of these, in your opinion, is the correct definition of a ‘change of mind’ when applied to God:</span><br style=": rgb251, 251, 253;"><span style=": rgb251, 251, 253;">a) ‘A decision to reverse an earlier decision’; or</span><br style=": rgb251, 251, 253;"><br style=": rgb251, 251, 253;">
<span style=": rgb251, 251, 253;">b) ‘Putting a decision into effect’</span>
Only A) would be required. But my thought is that he [logically] can't.


Airmano



So sorry, airmano, but I overlooked your post. Spotted it only a moment ago.

Will be away from my desk this weekend. God willing, I'll continue our conversation next week.

Very best regards, and have a great wekend.
'Sometimes, silence is the best answer for a fool.' (Alī ibn Abī Tālib‎)
Back to Top
Niblo View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie
Avatar

Joined: 01 September 2016
Status: Offline
Points: 45
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Niblo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 June 2018 at 7:12am
Originally posted by Al Masihi Al Masihi wrote:

...


The contradiction arises because the Church is claiming that Yeshua is both everything we understand by the term ‘Man’ and everything we understand by the term ‘God’. The only way this could not be a contradiction is if the words ‘Man’ and ‘God’ were freely interchangeable; simply different ways of describing the same entity: like ‘stone’ and ‘rock’; or ‘lake’ and ‘loch’; in other words, if man and God were one and the same being.

I'm done waltzing in circles! More importantly, people have been given more than sufficient information to decide where the truth lies.
'Sometimes, silence is the best answer for a fool.' (Alī ibn Abī Tālib‎)
Back to Top
Al Masihi View Drop Down
Senior Member
Senior Member
Avatar

Joined: 02 March 2018
Status: Offline
Points: 136
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Al Masihi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 June 2018 at 9:51am
As much as your trying to make it a contradiction there isn’t, because the Church doesn’t say Jesus is both God and man in the same respect these are two natures. The law of non contradiction states one thing can not be another thing at the same time. Jesus has two natures not one that is simultaneously God and man at the same time.
Back to Top
Niblo View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie
Avatar

Joined: 01 September 2016
Status: Offline
Points: 45
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Niblo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 June 2018 at 3:55am
Originally posted by airmano airmano wrote:

...........


Hello Airmano.

Sorry for the delay.

I asked you to state which of the following is the correct definition of a ‘change of mind’ when applied to God:

a) ‘A decision to reverse an earlier decision’; or

b) ‘Putting a decision into effect’

You replied: ‘Only A) would be required. But my thought is that he (logically) can't.’

We are agreed on (a).

I don’t understand what you mean when you say that God is incapable of changing His mind.

God decides a course of action, and acts accordingly. He has no need to reverse any of His decisions, simply because these are a) based on His absolute knowledge (which precludes any unforeseen reason for reversal), and b) because there is no possible constraint that could prevent His decisions being implemented in precisely the way He intends.

Having no need to change His mind does not mean that God is incapable of so doing; indeed, a current notion (called ‘open theism’) suggests that He can, and does, change His mind; and even that this change can be caused by human behaviour. The notion rests on literal interpretations of certain biblical texts; but this is a matter beyond the scope of this post.

You suggest there is a ‘logical’ barrier to God changing His mind. Please clarify.    

Have a great day, and very best regards.

Paul.
'Sometimes, silence is the best answer for a fool.' (Alī ibn Abī Tālib‎)
Back to Top
iec786 View Drop Down
Senior Member
Senior  Member
Avatar

Joined: 06 February 2012
Status: Offline
Points: 507
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote iec786 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 June 2018 at 3:33pm
Yes 
When God [Jesus} was in his mothers womb for 9 months who was in charge of the universe?


4 How then can a mortal be righteous before God? How can one born of woman be pure? 5 If even the moon is not bright and the stars are not pure in his eyes, 6 how much less a mortal, who is but a maggot-- a human being, who is only a worm!'Job 25:4

Was Jesus that maggot???
Back to Top
Al Masihi View Drop Down
Senior Member
Senior Member
Avatar

Joined: 02 March 2018
Status: Offline
Points: 136
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Al Masihi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 June 2018 at 3:00am
That can be understood by understanding how the trinity works, God is composed of three distinct persons, Jesus was God the Son. The verse speaks of human beings being born into the world with their sinful nature, Jesus was not just human however, an important distinction to make. Jesus is not that maggot because he’s not just a simple human being.
Back to Top
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 9101112>
  Share Topic   

Forum Jump Forum Permissions View Drop Down

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.10
Copyright ©2001-2017 Web Wiz Ltd.